Bestival 2012 Headliners

Guest Paul ™

Ok since we can play in the new forum, what's peoples thoughts on the 3 Main Stage headliners..

Gut instinct tells me New Order and Florence & The Machine will be 2 of them..

Knowing Rob though, he usually throws in a curveball like The Cure last year and gets very good exclusives...

The 3 Sub headliners are

Fri - The Xx

Sat - TDCC

Sun - Sigur Ros

I would love for Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Beck or Portishead to close the Sunday..

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portishead would be amazing. A long while since they've done an (outdoor) UK festival. Definitely a band I think RDB could potentially convince to play.

Pulp are definitely a shout.

Was thinking Bon Iver is probably a look-in to headline or play v. high up at one of the smaller UK fests this year. More likely a Latitude headliner though I think. Not quite there for Bestival.

What about a hip-hop headliner? Kanye West is probably unlikely after his Big Chill show went down so badly, but would be pretty well suited for Bestival I reckon. Not sure who else would fit the bill as being big enough but not insanely expensive.

Edited by dacbo

New Order - Saturday. That'll be our announcement on Tuesday, I think. We'll get them in a festival exclusive.

Have absolutely no idea who it's going to be on Friday or Sunday. I think Florence would be a bit of a letdown and I can't think of many bands off the top of my head who'd follow Sigur Ros, a band I thought were going to headline.

I think Flo will be the first announcement. Can see New Order as well but doubt they'll be an exclusive. I could see them subbing at Reading and Leeds as well and I also could see them playing T In The Park.

As for the 3rd headliner, I don't have a clue who it could be.

If Radiohead where to be announced to be playing after Sigur Ros that would secure my first visit to the festival, the latter already has me tempted.

Would love The Black Keys also (they were brilliant on the weekend, on fire right now) but I can see them playing alot of the bigger fests.

Would something like

Friday: New Order

Saturday: Pixies

Sunday: Radiohead

be unrealistic?

Portishead won't be touring next year, as their drummer will be playing with Radiohead

I'm hoping that FATM won't be playing, and that she's second from top rhianna spot at V.

New Order coudl work: they often have one 'smaller' headliner to balance out the more expensive ones they pay for.

I think it'll be Florence, although (hopefully) she may be too big like Neil said. Florence following The XX seems pretty right to me.

New Order are a good shout, Pulp are too, Radiohead; I'd not be suprised if they were announced- I reckon Rob could talk them into playing.

For the Sunday night, I think I'm going for Moby. I think he'd work well after Sigur Ros. What about Prince?

Edited by Joe-

Did I read that the Sunday headliner hasn't been booked yet?

Maybe he's going to try for Prince within the 10 week booking period? If Hop Farm can manage it...

If it doesn't work out, I'm sure he's got some favours he can call on at the last minute. Worst comes to worst, just promote Sigur Ros - I was pretty surprised to see them announced but not headlining myself. Perhaps they didn't want to set a precedant for Sunday headliners being strange Icelandic types :)

I was thinking last night about what RDB has said about it being a legendary act and spotted that no one has mentioned the Beach Boys? Could this be a possibility? I understand that they may cost the earth but think that they would pull a decent crowd as a headlining act, more so than New Order in my eyes who I don't think should warrant headline status based on the fact that they have reformed alone.

Neil, if Flo is too big for Besti what fest(s) would she headline? V?

yeah, she seems like V fodder to me, tho a part of me is thinking she's perhaps just a tad too small to headline that right now (tho things might well be different by the time the fest comes around). I guess it'll depend on what other bigger acts might be available.

I'd also say T in the Park. I'd put that as more likely than V, on the basis that it's a little less 'pop'.

I was thinking last night about what RDB has said about it being a legendary act and spotted that no one has mentioned the Beach Boys? Could this be a possibility? I understand that they may cost the earth but think that they would pull a decent crowd as a headlining act, more so than New Order in my eyes who I don't think should warrant headline status based on the fact that they have reformed alone.

I can't see it being Flo, she might have headlined similar sized festivals before, but I just don't see her as headline material, she's a bit too marmite. (Maybe that's just me though, I used to love her, saw her live and went right off her)

New Order are a good shout.

I can't see Pulp performing, after last year's shows. I'd love to see them again, their performance at Wireless last year was one of the best things I saw in 2011.

As for Dance Act, that's a tricky one, Deadmau5 is a possibility, or Swedish House Mafia.