The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

what happens to sturgeon when her bluff fails and the supreme court says she needs Westminster's permission?

some devolved issues are a bit vague, scotland's limits on constitutional issues is explicitly stated, its not going to go well.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

what happens to sturgeon when her bluff fails and the supreme court says she needs Westminster's permission?

some devolved issues are a bit vague, scotland's limits on constitutional issues is explicitly stated, its not going to go well.

yeah, they can't leave even if they want to.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

She has been quite clear that, in that case, the SNP will fight the next Westminster general election on the single issue of Independence making it "in effect" a second referendum.

14 minutes ago, LJS said:

She has been quite clear that, in that case, the SNP will fight the next Westminster general election on the single issue of Independence making it "in effect" a second referendum.

she'll try a bigger bluff, and none of it matches her claim to have a way to get a fully decisive devisive legal vote.

Edited by Neil

just out of interest, Neil, do you think Mr Johnsons is right to deny us a second referendum next year ( I don't mean is he within his rights - that is a different question) 

11 hours ago, LJS said:

What would that then achieve though? Is the idea that it would show an overwhelming mandate that Westminster couldn't ignore? Surely we aren't far from that position anyway given the SNP's dominance in Scotland and there is no sign of Westminster budging?

23 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

What would that then achieve though? Is the idea that it would show an overwhelming mandate that Westminster couldn't ignore? Surely we aren't far from that position anyway given the SNP's dominance in Scotland and there is no sign of Westminster budging?

You got a better idea? For better or worse, Sturgeon has determined that she will follow a legal route. Personally, I think she's right.  

2 minutes ago, LJS said:

You got a better idea? For better or worse, Sturgeon has determined that she will follow a legal route. Personally, I think she's right.  

Nope and wasn't having a dig, was just curious to see if that was what you meant! Agree she is right to follow the legal route but still don't see Westminster budging.

6 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Nope and wasn't having a dig, was just curious to see if that was what you meant! Agree she is right to follow the legal route but still don't see Westminster budging.

No...but I guess the hope is the more that Westminster refuses, the louder the anti westminster pro independence voice in Scotland.

Edited by steviewevie

Seems to me like early electioneering for 2024. Little chance of it happening in 2023 but if they are denied the vote in 2023 and campaign in 2024 on, as stated, that that GE is a de facto referendum on independence- then assume the SNP are returned an outright majority in Scotland and Labour are the largest party without having secured a majority. Maybe a second referendum then becomes part of a deal for joining a Labour led coalition.

Hinting at a coalition with the SNP was part of the reason Milliband did so badly. I think Labour will go ahead With a similar strategy to Tiverton looking at an eventual coalition with the Lib Dems 

1 hour ago, lost said:

Hinting at a coalition with the SNP was part of the reason Milliband did so badly. I think Labour will go ahead With a similar strategy to Tiverton looking at an eventual coalition with the Lib Dems 

Could also be shooting themselves in the foot - i.e. when Scotland gains independence, then Labour may no longer be the biggest party left in rUK.

just though i'd pop this on here to help those of you who still think Alex Salmond has some relevance to politics in Scotland

image.png.300ed6befb25ff74cfa8f64f52990a16.png

On 6/30/2022 at 12:05 PM, LJS said:

just out of interest, Neil, do you think Mr Johnsons is right to deny us a second referendum next year ( I don't mean is he within his rights - that is a different question) 

it doesnt look like having a different result, and it seems a majority of scots aren't in favour of it, so yeah, the uk should operate some oversight about it, the GFA stipulates 7 years between votes.

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

it doesnt look like having a different result, and it seems a majority of scots aren't in favour of it, so yeah, the uk should operate some oversight about it, the GFA stipulates 7 years between votes.

thanks for clarifying Neil.

You are of course wrong, but that is only to be expected

40 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think most of Scotland was happy with once in a life time...  Its nicky that wants one every week.

I wonder why we keep voting for her then?