Latitude 2012

Gingerbond

there is some general camping information at http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/info/category/accommodation

and they have festival stewards floating about inside the camp area who will advise on camping.

its not like a Mad Max scenario that you see at Reading with nutters burning everything in sight as it tends not to attract many nutters.

I have never camped in the public area but it appears to be a lot less cramped than other festivals.

This will be my first time at Latitude this year and I did notice from the 360 aerial shots that glasto-worker linked to, thanks for that btw., is that the camping does not seem cramped at all. Although I did wonder whether the photo were taken on a Sunday when there would be fewer tents anyway, that said I could not see that many obvious spaces where tents had been removed.

have you been before? it's our first in the absence of glastonbury, when's the best time to arrive?

No, similar state of affairs due to no Glasto.

I'm getting the train from Liverpool St at 1pm so I estimate I'll be there for around 4ish on Thursday. Read the campsite doesn't open til 2, and I'm not much of a queuer!

This will be my first time at Latitude this year and I did notice from the 360 aerial shots that glasto-worker linked to, thanks for that btw., is that the camping does not seem cramped at all. Although I did wonder whether the photo were taken on a Sunday when there would be fewer tents anyway, that said I could not see that many obvious spaces where tents had been removed.

I can tell from various areas that certain 360 aerial shots does appear to have taken place over a few days and the first image that comes up at

http://media.livenation.co.uk/latitude/2012/360/map_holder.html

is not a actual shot taken on the same day - its a composite because the WBC crew area had to have been shot on the Wednesday before the first batch of London coaches arrived and the main camping area was not even open until the Thursday so there should have been no tents on the left hand side.

The arena area { near the bottom } in fact is not even a real image as it does not show any of the bars or stalls .

I arrived about 7pm Wednesday and once my tent was up I walked though the guest area to inspect the guest bar and I know for a fact the guest area was not as full as that image shows so even in the same field its not just one shot taken at the same time .

Sure it was unusually muddy last year and I would expect that many left on the Sunday but as I was using the crew access route it does not take me past the normal camping areas so I don't have a clue what that was like but certainly in the guest area a good 20% had left by Sunday afternoon so the view as seen at http://media.livenation.co.uk/latitude/2012/360/arial-3.html

had to have been shot on the Friday/Saturday as the guest area carpark is full and there was lots of spaces on the Sunday morning as the crew catering unit overlooks the guest carpark and there was a steady stream of cars leaving that carpark.

So while I cant say for sure which day it was shot ' the above image was not shot on the Sunday '

A friend today told me "you aren't allowed to take your own beer into the festival", I said did he not mean just into the arena like it is everywhere? He said no, the entire festival. Has he just been a clown and got the wrong end of the stick or is this true?

well your friend was talking bullshit

from http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/info/#cat_things_you_cant_bring

THINGS YOU CAN'T BRING

Remember when packing to come to the festival the following things that are not allowed onsite: -

There are two sections - the first (through the campsite gates) is a list of things you can't bring on site at all. The second (through the arena gates) can't be brought from the campsite into the arena.

You may be body and / or bag searched at the entrances. Persons suspected of carrying items that may be used in an offensive or dangerous manner, or carrying out illegal activities onsite may be searched.

NOT ALLOWED THROUGH THE CAMPSITE GATES:

• Glass – no glass is allowed anywhere onsite for safety reasons

• Illegal substances

• Nitrous Oxide

• Portable Laser Equipment and Pens

• Unauthorised Professional Film or Video Equipment*

• Audio Recorders

• Megaphones

• Air Horns

• Spray Cans

• Fireworks

• Flares

• Chinese or Sky Lanterns

• Any item which may reasonably be considered for use as a weapon

• Animals (other than registered guide or hearing dogs)

• Sound systems

• Unofficial tabards or reflective jackets

• Unauthorised items for trading, including any goods using unauthorised event logos

• Excessive amounts of food, cigarettes and alcohol may be refused entry to the site

NOT ALLOWED THROUGH THE ARENA GATES:

In addition to the items above, the following may not be brought into the arena:-

Cans, alcohol, opened plastic drinks bottles or drinks bottles over 500ml in size**

Camping equipment

Disposable barbeques

All the above items will be confiscated. Anyone resisting confiscation of disallowed items may be evicted. If you are evicted, we will take a photograph of you as part of the eviction process.

*Pocket sized cameras are normally permitted for personal use. Cameras with detachable telephoto lenses will not be allowed through the arena entrances. Professional cameras and video/audio equipment are strictly prohibited. Live video/audio recordings made without the permission of the artiste/promoter are prohibited.

**Only sealed plastic bottles of water 500ml or under and sealed cartons of juice will be permitted into the arena. Food for personal consumption can be taken into the arena.

so what is there to do on the thursday evening? is there anything on or just enjoy camp life?

The arena opens at 5pm (approx), there's plenty going on, just not the main music stages. Things happening on the Waterfront Stage, Outdoor Theatre, Theatre Arena, Poetry, Film & Music etc. & plenty of exploring to do. It's listed on the website under Lineup in the drop down menu thingy.

They had gymnasts hanging from giant balloons over the lake last year, was wonderful!

Its also worth a wander on the Thursday though the ' In the Woods area ' as you never know what may be on { although the main stage in that area will not have acts on until the Friday } - I know the guy who runs that area and he will have his full team out on the Thursday so they are expecting it to be busy.

On the way out there is in fact a second path which goes down to the lakes edge so its possible to reach the quiet side as near the bridge it does get busy.

I read on the official latitude forum that Coach places from London are going fast and just to wind people even further the coach website does not mention a specific coach is full until a person has tried to reserve a seat so if anyone is after a coach from London they should book this pronto.

Hi Everyone . Another Glastonbury regular trying Latitude for the first time. Looking forward to a relaxing weekend with significantly less walking !

Sorry to harp on about the drinks situation but used to the do as you please Glastonbury arrangements. Do they search everyone going into the arena and how particular are they ? Been to V festival in the past ( never again horrible festival.) and they are very keen.

Secondly , what are the queues like Thursday afternoon to get in and get wristbanded ? Is it chaotic at opening time ?

What is the best campsite to head for where it is relatively quiet on a night ?

cheers for any assistance , promise to reciprocate for any Glasto virgins in 2013.

Also trying Beautiful Days next mont so will be asking questions for that in due course !

Edited by Popsider75
  • Upvote 1

Hi Everyone . Another Glastonbury regular trying Latitude for the first time. Looking forward to a relaxing weekend with significantly less walking !

Sorry to harp on about the drinks situation but used to the do as you please Glastonbury arrangements. Do they search everyone going into the arena and how particular are they ?

Unless you have a crew pass then they will search any bags and if they spot a unusual bulge they will search you

you can see the queue on the left going in so its a bit like walking though customs

queue-d.jpg

My Latitude luck continues and won a pair of tickets again this year to go. Really excited again as I just loved the vibe as it's so different to festivals I usually frequent (T and Rockness). Hoping for some cheeky guest tickets like last year as I did love the short stroll to the arena but will see what the postie brings on Tuesday ;-)

Years ago at Glastonbury I think that Carlsberg ran a competition with NME { or a similar music paper } and the prize was two guest tickets and a ' golden pass ' - I met all the winners { five couples } as they had been told it was unlimited drinks at the guest bar { which is run by the WBC } but of course no one had told the guest bar so I had to go and sort it out - sure enough they had advertised unlimited drinks { with no restriction } so in theory a golden pass holder could have ordered 5,000 pints.

anyway all ten winners had never been to Glastonbury before and they were overawed by being in the guest bar so they never thought up a way to exploit it and they only had a few drinks per day { per person }

The WBC were refunded the cost on the Sunday night so we were happy and the winners were well happy.

I kept looking about at later years but that golden pass was never offered again { to the best of my knowledge } so perhaps they had a rethink.

I still recall when they walked in waving their golden pass and we thought it was part of a scam { or they had been sold the pass by a joker }

so you never know your luck about the guest area but I bet there is no golden pass !!

Hi - I am a Glastonbury regular and last year went to latitude for first time and will be going again next weekend. It is much much smaller festival than Glastonbury. We arrived about 6pm on thursday. I could see the entrance from where the car was parked- much shorter walking with stuff distance! Camping areas not overcrowded- plenty of space. Yellow is nearer arena and busier. Other camping quieter but a little more of a walk to arena. All bags are searched on entry to arena for cans etc. but as it was raining was possible to sneak in something under poncho!! Heavy rain meant stayed in word tent and saw new artists which were nice surprise - and old ones- OMD and Adam Ant!

Site didn't get too muddy -not glast style just in a few places walking back through to campsites and in the forest. Getting off site on Monday was not too bad. Everywhere close together do not too tiring. Try and see some of the literary/ comedy/theatre/ Cabaret tents- will be drier at least! Caught some great acts. It's a bit middle class radio 2 crowd but good fun! Main stage has some seating for those who need a proper sit down. Easy to get to front of stage. Nice food, lots for kids to do. Only issue really last year was a problem with the water on site- they had to bring in bottled water and water tanks as the stand pipes weren't working. Toilets were good- bog roll and cleaned with attendants permanently on hand!! Have fun- bring wellies and umbrella!!

• Upvote 2

Only issue really last year was a problem with the water on site- they had to bring in bottled water and water tanks as the stand pipes weren't working. Toilets were good- bog roll and cleaned with attendants permanently on hand!! Have fun- bring wellies and umbrella!!

I don't have all the details because we have a separate water supply in the crew area so we were not affected but I was told this was due to contamination so the stand pipes were turned off as a precaution and as far as I am aware the water system was upgraded after last year to avoid this type of contamination again.

I have a friend onsite just now { he runs the whole of the in the woods area} and they have shipped in extra wood chip so they will have it in reserve if it ends up as wet as last year so the mud should be less of a problem this year { apart from 2011 all the other years were mud free so they were a bit unprepared last year }

for anyone who happens to decide to go last minute like me, or is still looking at travel options, all national express coaches from London are now full, but you can get the train from Liverpool St to Diss and it only takes an hour and a half with no changes. only cost me £25 young person's with an open return for Monday so i don't have to commit to catching a specific train on my way home. and then from Diss there's a festival shuttle bus which is £6 i believe

So excited now! Had one of the best weekends of my life last year, hopefully the weather holds out a bit better this year.

And at the people asking about bag searches, be imaginative. We got all sorts into the arena last year, and once you've got it in, they don't seem to care. One of my friends was walking round with a bag full of wine for a day last year, and none of the officials/security guards said anything. And if it goes wrong, the worst they can do is tell you to finish it off and re-join the queue when you're done