Latitude 2012

Gingerbond

I don't like Sheeran, although he put on a good show last year, mid afternoon on the main stage - just not for me...too 'poppy'.

If either Ed Sheeran or Joanne Newsome are special guests then clearly this festival has lost its way.

You can't really hang the direction of the festival on one special guest - it's a really eclectic line-up as usual with something for everyone.

Latitude has had really poppy acts like The Pet Shop Boys as headliners and Tom Jones as a special guest before so I don't think that either Ed Sheeran or Joanna Newsom would be straying from it's blueprint at all - particularly as both have been very well received there before.

Joanna Newsom is incredible live and definately not poppy. Can't speak for Ed Sheeran because he's not my cup of tea either.

in previous years there have been around 120 music acts on the 4 main music stages (a few more spread around the arty stages)

about 65 got announced on monday so plenty more still to come.

personally, and this is just me being greedy as i am made up with the music line up already, i would love to see the black keys on the bill, and the Maccabees, as Given To The Wild is sublime, but i know they will get it right

but overall its a barnstormer of a line up already. cant wait to be going back after 2 years away.

Edited by Tugger2k

looks like you'll have to get yourself to Reading after all. :P:lol:

I'm not going to reading dude.

the black keys will be about after the summer festivals i suspect,

and the maccabees cannot be stupid enough to have the horror show that is ally pally as their only big smoke gig of the year.

You can't really hang the direction of the festival on one special guest - it's a really eclectic line-up as usual with something for everyone.

Latitude has had really poppy acts like The Pet Shop Boys as headliners and Tom Jones as a special guest before so I don't think that either Ed Sheeran or Joanna Newsom would be straying from it's blueprint at all - particularly as both have been very well received there before.

Joanna Newsom is incredible live and definately not poppy. Can't speak for Ed Sheeran because he's not my cup of tea either.

Yes, I guess you are right - I am maybe getting hung up on the fact that for the first year ever, there is nothing here apart from The Horrors and Metronomy that I am looking forward to seeing. Last 2 years I didnt know which way to turn, there was so much on.

I've taken advice from some of the other guys on the forum and started looking at other bands I am not familiar with - I need to lighten up :-)

Yeah, he has no idea what he's talking about.

Newsom is a brilliant artist.

Yes big man, you are right - I never know what I am talking about. I really should just shut up, but I can't. Why do I have the audacity to offer opinions on, of all places, a forum.....what was I thinking of???!!!

And so sweet of you to point it out, you precious little angel :-)

Yes big man, you are right - I never know what I am talking about. I really should just shut up, but I can't. Why do I have the audacity to offer opinions on, of all places, a forum.....what was I thinking of???!!!

And so sweet of you to point it out, you precious little angel :-)

everybody has the right to voice their opinions, but perhaps, before venting something like this.....

If either Ed Sheeran or Joanne Newsome are special guests then clearly this festival has lost its way.

if you had armed yourself with the knowledge that the 12 o'clock '4th' headliner spot was spefically created for Newsome in 2008, and has been carried on since then, maybe people wouldnt have been as quick to say you didnt know what your were talking about

everybody has the right to voice their opinions, but perhaps, before venting something like this.....

if you had armed yourself with the knowledge that the 12 o'clock '4th' headliner spot was spefically created for Newsome in 2008, and has been carried on since then, maybe people wouldnt have been as quick to say you didnt know what your were talking about

Indeed, you are right. I am not a big enough festival goer to have known something as specific as that, and for that reason my comment re: 'losing its way' was ill informed. I did get miffed that I was directly criticised though - my opinions have been re: Latitude, not other readers.

My frustration comes from the fact that I have been twice before, and have been blown away by the bands there each time. This time, I have to admit, I don't know 90% of the acts, including some of the main stage bands - Richard Hawley, Janelle Monae......? The Comedy Tent looks better this year - but the tent is way too small.

And, I bought the tickets before the line up was announced.

So rather than pout and moan, I am on a mission to find out which bands to look out for. Already a fan of White Lies, Metronomy and The Horrors but tips for things to watch out for gratefully recieved. Ta.

Edited by Pablohoney46

fair enough, i found myself in a similar boat in 09 when after buying the early bird ticket i found (to my ears) the aural poison, vomit inducing PSB as a headliner, the throughly bonkers yet not my bag Grace Jones, and The bad seeds, who i had always been able to take or leave.

I had a better time that year than 08, thanks to spoitify and sites that shall not be mentioned, i had a brilliant time discovering and then enjoying new stuff. and have to say that Cave et all blew me away..

This year i am chuffed to bits with the headliners, i happen to think that Bon Iver will be 1 of the gigs of the summer if the weather holds up.

as for everything else, all of these im up for

Amadou & Mariam Bat For Lashes Destroyer Explosions In The Sky Kurt Vile & the Violators Lloyd Cole Perfume Genius SBTRKT The Antlers The Field tUne-yArDs We Are Augustines Yeasayer

Esspecially Destroyer, who again if the weather holds is going to smash it (check out the album Kaputt)

and a special mention to Simple MInds, who, if they are playing the early stuff and mostly eschewing the stadium rock stuff as they have recently, will also be worth a check out

i am super excited about going back after 2 years away. just cant wait to get back there, chill out, and enjoy the plethora of eclectic beauties Latitude has to offer

and a special mention to Simple MInds, who, if they are playing the early stuff and mostly eschewing the stadium rock stuff as they have recently, will also be worth a check out

make sure you check out whether Jim is actually singing all the time. When I saw them a few years ago I got the distinct impression that a fair bit of it was coming off tape, and I wasn't the only one thinking that. Then again, it might have been an illusion.

Indeed, you are right. I am not a big enough festival goer to have known something as specific as that, and for that reason my comment re: 'losing its way' was ill informed. I did get miffed that I was directly criticised though - my opinions have been re: Latitude, not other readers.

My frustration comes from the fact that I have been twice before, and have been blown away by the bands there each time. This time, I have to admit, I don't know 90% of the acts, including some of the main stage bands - Richard Hawley, Janelle Monae......? The Comedy Tent looks better this year - but the tent is way too small.

And, I bought the tickets before the line up was announced.

So rather than pout and moan, I am on a mission to find out which bands to look out for. Already a fan of White Lies, Metronomy and The Horrors but tips for things to watch out for gratefully recieved. Ta.

if you want some beautiful music to chase away the last bit of last night's hangover go and watch Richard Hawley. His music is food for the soul. His album Coles Corner is a good starting block if you want a listen before you go....

Am sooooo jealous he's not on at a festival I'm going to :-(

Bon Iver, Metronomy, Elbow, Laura Marling, Wild Beasts, the Antlers, Battles, Django Django, Edward Sharpe, Explosions in the Sky, Howler, M83, We Have Band, Yeasayer.

Can't wait. Between this and seeing Orbital and Electric Swing Circus at Secret Garden, this summer will be swell.

Bon Iver, Metronomy, Elbow, Laura Marling, Wild Beasts, the Antlers, Battles, Django Django, Edward Sharpe, Explosions in the Sky, Howler, M83, We Have Band, Yeasayer.

Can't wait. Between this and seeing Orbital and Electric Swing Circus at Secret Garden, this summer will be swell.

Good tips re: Edward Sharpe and Django Django. M83 are kinda growing on me too. Bon Iver and Laura Marling not for me though - but there seems to be maybe enough to keep me happy this year after all

fair enough, i found myself in a similar boat in 09 when after buying the early bird ticket i found (to my ears) the aural poison, vomit inducing PSB as a headliner, the throughly bonkers yet not my bag Grace Jones, and The bad seeds, who i had always been able to take or leave.

I had a better time that year than 08, thanks to spoitify and sites that shall not be mentioned, i had a brilliant time discovering and then enjoying new stuff. and have to say that Cave et all blew me away..

This year i am chuffed to bits with the headliners, i happen to think that Bon Iver will be 1 of the gigs of the summer if the weather holds up.

as for everything else, all of these im up for

Amadou & Mariam Bat For Lashes Destroyer Explosions In The Sky Kurt Vile & the Violators Lloyd Cole Perfume Genius SBTRKT The Antlers The Field tUne-yArDs We Are Augustines Yeasayer

Esspecially Destroyer, who again if the weather holds is going to smash it (check out the album Kaputt)

i am super excited about going back after 2 years away. just cant wait to get back there, chill out, and enjoy the plethora of eclectic beauties Latitude has to offer

Thanks - I will look at the Destryoer album later. Agree re: Lloyd Cole (saw him mid 80s) and Kurt Vile I am getting into now. Not heard any rumours about other bands that might play - I heard somewhere that J and M Chain might play....that would be something

This is a curious line up. Out of a really week and provincial bunch of headliners, Bon Iver and the Horrors are the only ones I'd like to see. Bat for Lashes and Wild Beasts are ok but in my opinion not quite headline material. Such a waste that the likes of Weller, White Lies, Elbow, Metronomy and Hawley should occupy slots with long stage times.

When there are loads of quality further down the bill: Explosions in the Sky, M83, Zola Jesus, The Antlers, Yeasayer, Battles, Kurt Vile, The War on Drugs, Josh T Pearson, Sharon van Etten, Iceage, I Break Horses, Destroyer, First Aid Kit, Wooden Shjips, Perfume Genius and Jonathan Wilson.

This is a curious line up. Out of a really week and provincial bunch of headliners, Bon Iver and the Horrors are the only ones I'd like to see. Bat for Lashes and Wild Beasts are ok but in my opinion not quite headline material. Such a waste that the likes of Weller, White Lies, Elbow, Metronomy and Hawley should occupy slots with long stage times.

When there are loads of quality further down the bill: Explosions in the Sky, M83, Zola Jesus, The Antlers, Yeasayer, Battles, Kurt Vile, The War on Drugs, Josh T Pearson, Sharon van Etten, Iceage, I Break Horses, Destroyer, First Aid Kit, Wooden Shjips, Perfume Genius and Jonathan Wilson.

If you look at a combination of record sales, fan base and critical acclaim (albeit mainstream critical acclaim) the line up makes pefect sense.

there no way on earth perfume genius could be above weller for example

but is about different strokes for different folks. the undercard looks realy strong and will set me up perfectly for all 3 nights headliners on the obelisk, but im looking forward to all 3 days of build up as there are some brilliant acts on the bill.

and there are still 50+ acts to be added to an already outstanding bill

Tugger2k: You're quite right, it is about different strokes for different people. And I'm just raising my personal point of view. I'm very impressed with the line up in its entirety.

Also I was a bit unclear. I don't think most bands I mentioned are anywhere near big enough for headlining status. I just meant to contrast the quality of the undercard to the headliners.

I understand that White Lies and Metronomy are popular with the kids in the UK and it's an English festival so that's quite alright I guess.

However, I feel that there's a little bit too much predominance of artists high up on the bill that would probably be popular at a retirement home (again Weller, Hawley, Elbow, Marling).

But then of course there might not have been too many other exciting big artists available.