Latitude 2012

Gingerbond

It'd be a bit out of character for Latitude to book a headliner with the calibre of The Cure, unless they're trying to show ambitions to be a bigger festival.

It might fit in well with the ethic and whatnot, but they're miles bigger than any of the headliners that they've had before. Plus, if they're playing Bilbao BBK as is widely rumoured, they'd have to peg it back to the UK. Seems more likely to me that they'll stick around and play something in Portugal too.

I think Mumford & Sons makes sense though.

The Cure are SR now, were they just R before or am I imagining it?

yeah...just a rumour before. Not a massive Cure fan myself but my missus loves 'em which means I'll have do less begging than normal. Be our first time at Latitude but looking forward to it.

Edited by Flaminglippy

I just can't see The Cure been here and I'm a bit surprised they're a strong rumour for the simple reason 3 gigs in 3 countries is too much.

Travelling from Bilbao to Lisbon is not too bad, but to go then to Latitude is too much imo. For a start they won't be finishing their set in Lisbon till around 2 - 2:30am I'd imagine. Considering they play for around 2 and a half hours they'd have to get to begin their Latitude set around 8:30pm. That leaves 18 hours. 18 hours for them to:

Leave the stage in Lisbon

Travel to their hotel

Get a good nights rest

Travel from the hotel to the airport

Catch a flight to London

Travel from London to arrive at Latitude

Set up equipment

That would be a lot of travelling. After having a show in Bilbao only the day before Lisbon I can't see it happening. I read a piece with Rob Da Bank yesterday about Robert Smith how thorough he is, will only do something if it's absolutely correct and if it's planned perfectly. I can't see him agreeing to 3 festivals in 3 different countries. Especially when it is to do with Latitude. No offence to the place but it's a medium sized festival. It would be a large coup for Latitude to get them. I can't see why The Cure, being a fairly large band would be utterly desperate to play and that they'd go to that much trouble just to do so.

And as for the map that's just rumours. I've also seen a further map where the UK point is in London. Unlike other larger countries it's much harder to pinpoint where the green point on the blurred image on the Cure's website could be for.

I just can't see The Cure been here and I'm a bit surprised they're a strong rumour for the simple reason 3 gigs in 3 countries is too much.

Travelling from Bilbao to Lisbon is not too bad, but to go then to Latitude is too much imo. For a start they won't be finishing their set in Lisbon till around 2 - 2:30am I'd imagine. Considering they play for around 2 and a half hours they'd have to get to begin their Latitude set around 8:30pm. That leaves 18 hours. 18 hours for them to:

Leave the stage in Lisbon

Travel to their hotel

Get a good nights rest

Travel from the hotel to the airport

Catch a flight to London

Travel from London to arrive at Latitude

Set up equipment

That would be a lot of travelling. After having a show in Bilbao only the day before Lisbon I can't see it happening. I read a piece with Rob Da Bank yesterday about Robert Smith how thorough he is, will only do something if it's absolutely correct and if it's planned perfectly. I can't see him agreeing to 3 festivals in 3 different countries. Especially when it is to do with Latitude. No offence to the place but it's a medium sized festival. It would be a large coup for Latitude to get them. I can't see why The Cure, being a fairly large band would be utterly desperate to play and that they'd go to that much trouble just to do so.

And as for the map that's just rumours. I've also seen a further map where the UK point is in London. Unlike other larger countries it's much harder to pinpoint where the green point on the blurred image on the Cure's website could be for.

Either you're every quiet at work or you have to much spare time on your hands...that said, some good points chap!

Hoping for Elbow myself...

Big Chill being cancelled wo'ty free any further funds for bigger bookings for other fests. And it's likely to make the bookings more expense all around their fests, because there's less opportunity to do any sort of block bookings and get a reduced fee by doing so.

Glasto not happening makes no difference to anything, aside from freeing up three extra bands that could be booked and claimed as an exclusive.

Latitude has such a great track record of quality but underated bands and into this category would be Airborne Toxic Event. May be not headline material just yet but it is only a mtter of time and they seem like they are at the same stage as Arcade Fire when they headlined in 2008.

The Cure looking less likely? I see they are back down to a rumour from a Strong Rumour on here.

That suggests that even if they don't play R&L in the end, that they're not going to play Latitude like their map suggested afterall.

They have said at least 4/5 dates more to come and some letters are missing after R or S, which happen to be right over to the side in england.

No evidence why, well I suppose a theory why.

A guy has a tip off they are playing Electric Picnic, they have a latter in Ireland, with no Oxygen it makes great sense.

Pulp played this last year then played T and R&L too. So I'm calling IMO The Cure to do pretty much what Pulp did and that 3 of them gigs yet to be mapped will be R&L and T. They played to covering RAH and Bestival 54k people last year and RLH sold in 2 mins apparantely, they had 30k people trying for them so you could say they could've played to upto 80k people last year, while Bestival took it's time to sell out, they're other two headliners are not the size of R&L's or T's headliners.

fleet foxes could easily be a main stage headliner, not a tent headliner. i'm hoping Feist, Grizzly Bear and Girls will appear on the line up somewhere. Maccabees as a tent headliner is a very good shout. if those 4 played I would be very happy

Grizzly bear are a UK exclusive for end of the road