Kendal Calling 2012

Guest Flaminglippy

i noticed that as well, seems like madness to schedule both festivals in a close proximity on the same dates, i was originally quite happy to do both festivals but seemingly this wont be the case if the dates conflict. Much as i enjoyed wickerman and was looking forward to a return visit theres no way i would be going there instead of kendal, both festivals will be a similar price but the extra day at kendal makes it much more worthwhile, plus living in the north east id have to pretty much pass kendal to get to wickerman anyway.

Seems a real shame to have the 2 main events in the area on the same weekend, i know there is solfest to take in to consideration as well, which i may have to think about next year to get my festival fix !

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously seriously considering Benicassim next year, for anyone wondering...

Flight to an airport called Reus , Ryanair fly there and its cheap as chips, much much much cheaper than Barca or Valencia.

You can get a bus down to Benicassim or trains there, its really simple.

My brother in law went this year and said it's really well organised in a purpose built venue - they even have a launderette for campers. Only downside was the prices in the arena but you can balance that with the fact that during the day you're left to your own devices and can eat and drink really cheaply before going into the arena in the evening. He took one piece of handluggage and bought a tent for 10 euros when he got there and is definitely going back. He flew into Valencia tho so got a bit stung on that.

My brother in law went this year and said it's really well organised in a purpose built venue - they even have a launderette for campers. Only downside was the prices in the arena but you can balance that with the fact that during the day you're left to your own devices and can eat and drink really cheaply before going into the arena in the evening. He took one piece of handluggage and bought a tent for 10 euros when he got there and is definitely going back. He flew into Valencia tho so got a bit stung on that.

Found the reason for the wickerman / Kendal clash -

' Hi Steve

Thanks for your email, whilst it is unfortunate that the Wickerman dates will clash with Kendal Calling in 2013 it is unavoidable for us I’m afraid. Traditionally we have always run two weeks behind T in the Park as much of the equipment we use comes direct to us from T in the Park and it would be impossible for us to turn this around in just one week to run the event to a standard that both us as the organisers and the festival goers would be happy with.'

Oh well back to the planning for next year's festival circuit, was planning to do both like this year, Kendal will get the vote for me and I'll look for a second one to do intead

Found the reason for the wickerman / Kendal clash -

' Hi Steve

Thanks for your email, whilst it is unfortunate that the Wickerman dates will clash with Kendal Calling in 2013 it is unavoidable for us I'm afraid. Traditionally we have always run two weeks behind T in the Park as much of the equipment we use comes direct to us from T in the Park and it would be impossible for us to turn this around in just one week to run the event to a standard that both us as the organisers and the festival goers would be happy with.'

Oh well back to the planning for next year's festival circuit, was planning to do both like this year, Kendal will get the vote for me and I'll look for a second one to do intead

Dear Kendal calling,

I'm a bit gutted that wickerman and KC clash next year!

Please would you consider having on sale them Scottish tartan hats you know the type with a ginger wig combo! I would prefer the musical version ones that play Donald where's ya trousers !

Also as you have had in the past food stalls from around the world could we include next year a Scottish theme?

Haggis and turnip is a must and could the limited bar possibly stock the devils wee ?

And last but not least can we have stovies in England we call it refried turds in Scotland it's a delicacy !

Ohhh yeah can you get sponsored by irn bru and have made in Scotland from girders tipi 's

Waiting in anticipation for next year .

Regards

Lakeland5

Dear Lakeland,

We`ve given your e-mail some thought and think you raise some interesting points. Why not include a dress code of kilts ( skirts ) for the men and BayCity Rollers fancy dress for the lassies. The wigs shouldn`t be a problem and we can maybe arrange for a monster or two to hangabout in the lake / loch.

It is with regret that we have decide to ban Whisky ( note no "e" ) from the bars for reason that should be obvious .......

Haggis should be ok but the neeps and tatties are fecked with all this rain.

See you in the fields OR inthe hills,

Regards,

KC

p.s. Any idea where we can get some decent pallets ? Really struggling in these parts xD

Interesting. I suppose they need atleast 2 weeks to wipe the mud & sick off the T in the park gear ! I agree that it`s an unfortunate clash - pity. Might be a bit on the small side for you, but, always hear good reports about Eden festival. In the same neck of the woods as Wickerman and and happens in June. £55 early bird for 3 nights and kids free. We might give it a try. Badly drawn boy and Bombskare were there this year. Had forgotten I saw/enjoyed Bombskare at Kendal this year - thats the drink for you !

Bit of a plug here (though I am nothing to do with the festival), but there is a nice festival just outside of York called Galtres Festival, its on Bank Holiday weekend. Line up is really good with a few names and the rest of the acts made up of local bands. Plenty of stuff to do for the family, and loads of proper ale (not a Carling or a Tuborg in sight!).

The festival website is http://www.galtresfestival.org.uk/ but there is an offer on adult tickets at half price (£45 from £90) at http://www.strayfm.com/vp/vouchers/-/half-price-days-out/galtres-festival/galtres-festival-hpd-summer-2012/

I am sure this will appeal to some of the more mature Kendal goers....

Bit of a plug here (though I am nothing to do with the festival), but there is a nice festival just outside of York called Galtres Festival, its on Bank Holiday weekend. Line up is really good with a few names and the rest of the acts made up of local bands. Plenty of stuff to do for the family, and loads of proper ale (not a Carling or a Tuborg in sight!).

The festival website is http://www.galtresfestival.org.uk/ but there is an offer on adult tickets at half price (£45 from £90) at http://www.strayfm.c...pd-summer-2012/

I am sure this will appeal to some of the more mature Kendal goers....