the reggae thread

eFestivals

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they were also essential mod footwear...desert boots in particular

not sure what relevance that is, if any..? Mods loved ska though, I wonder where the attraction for the shoes comes from

probably the French or Italian kids?

what you're talking about is something VERY different (aside from a music genre having a particular fashion style).

The crap boring Clarks shoes that so many mums made their kids wear in the 70s (me included) were what the big 70s reggae stars wore ... and they loved them so much that they named checked them in songs and stuff (long before name checking fashion items became a normal thing in music).

The article is here:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/oct/28/clarks-shoes-reggae-jamaica-feature?INTCMP=SRCH

it did not start with the desert boot. The 'desert treks' it talks about are not desert boots.

It's talking about the boring black learther Clarks shoes that people like me wore as kids.

And there's no history of name checking desert boots in songs that old. It did not start with desert boots.

Edited by eFestivals

huh.png che?

it's a reference to desert boots from the article, which states that it was the desert boot that started it

it does. But then provides nothing to back that up ... while a VERY different treatment was given by those reggae stars to the normal bland black Clarks.

People wore desert boots. But nothing of that fact of people in general wearing them puts them at the heart of reggae and reggae stars.

I'm merely pondering the connection between Jamaican youth cultures and the mod fashion

which is nothing of what that article is about. It's not on about youth culture, it's very specifically on about the culture of reggae performers.

There might be links between Jamaican youth cultures and the mod fashion, but there's no links between Jamaican reggae stars culture and mod culture.

• 2 weeks later...

some good reggae on tongiht in Bristol - at the Attic bar.

Resonators album launch with Dub from atlantis too.

Not sure if this is what this reggae thread is for, but I felt the need to tell somebody - and this seems as good a place as any.

that's definitely what this thread is for. :)

There's also Black Roots playing at the Malcolm X Centre tomorrow night.

And because we're talking Bristol, it's just under a month until The Twinkle Brothers & Joshua Moses play at Trinity .... I'm really looking forwards to that one! I'm hoping that they'll be a big crowd so that Joshua puts a smile on his face and puts in a great set; I love his album, but by gawd he was poor at the Fleece back in May.

• 2 weeks later...

Rodigan resigns over reggae 'marginalisation'

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-20443620

presumably he left Capital (where he was before Kiss) for much the same reason - I used to love listing to his shows back in the 70s.

There's just Don Letts now on a major radio station who is playing a genre that's very much on the up at the moment, which just goes to show that numbskuls are in charge of radio stations.

I used to listen to Nick Manasseh's Kiss FM show in the 90s and that occupied the late Saturday night Sunday morning slot. If it wasn't for the fact that I was in IT support and often had to work overnight Saturday implementing changes, I would never have become aware of his show and would have missed out on some cracking Reggae & Dub. I much preferred Nick's show on Kiss to Rodigan's, but having said that, Rodigan's early Radio London shows introduced me to Reggae in a big way during my last year at school and at around the same time Robbie Vincent's Saturday Soul Show on Radio London was opening up my musical tastes to Soul and Funk and I have him to thank for me sending off for tickets to see Parliament Funkadelic at Hammersmith Odeon in 1978 :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any suggestion of Israel Vibration playing UK then?

I think they'd better Talk to Frank - the most irritating ad I've ever encountered. When mum rears her head it's a race to shut her up before "Sit down son..."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Any suggestion of Israel Vibration playing UK then?

They're supporting Julian Marley on his European tour dates apparently

with Capleton - who are listed here - http://www.reggaeville.com/nc/artist-details/artist/capleton/dt/-44d98d7973/ac/date.html for Boomtown./

Edited by 5co77ie

• 3 months later...