the reggae thread

eFestivals

A subject that should really have it's own thread. So I'll start it off with.....

I saw Misty In Roots at the weekend, the first time I've seen them for 25+ years I think. And they were absolutely brilliant, it's a shame there were so few there to see them. :D

There's still a few dates left on their tour. Check them out of you can...,

Kendal

Brewery Arts Centre

Friday 21 October

t:01539 725133

w:breweryarts.co.uk

Manchester

Band on the Wall

Saturday 22 October

t: 0845 2 500 500

w:bandonthewall.org

Exeter

Phoenix Arts Centre

Friday 28 October

t: 01392 667 080

w:exeterphoenix.org.uk

London

Rich Mix

Saturday 29 October

t: 0207 613 7498

w: richmix.org.uk

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A subject that should really have it's own thread. So I'll start it off with.....

I saw Misty In Roots at the weekend, the first time I've seen them for 25+ years I think. And they were absolutely brilliant, it's a shame there were so few there to see them. biggrin.png

damn would love to have seen them (Bristol I assume you were at) long time since I have seen them but they were always brilliant

Misty in Roots were really good when old Poko had stopped with his 'snootyness', wouldn't do an encore though would they. The Abyssinians though, they were extra brilliant, an emotional event even.

I can't find anything for The Gladiators either except the poster outside the club.

What we want now is Steel Pulse to play there and Johnny Clarke, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Burning Spear, Dennis Bovell, Aswad, Israel Vibration, The Congo's and the mighty Twinkle Brothers.....just for starters. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like The Gladiators is on. :)

FRI 2nd DEC THE GLADIATORS £17.50 ADV

FIDDLERS NIGHTCLUB

WILLWAY STREET

BEDMINSTER

BRISTOL

BS3 4BG

Whether I'll get to it is another thing :(

It wasn't on, it was cancelled .... but I'm not crying, I couldn't have made it anyway. Hopefully the next time they come around the date will work for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Lee Scratch Perry on tour....

Thu 26 Jan 2012 Concorde 2, Brighton

Fri 27 Jan 2012 Jazz Cafe, Camden

Sat 28 Jan 2012 Jazz Cafe, Camden

Tue 31 Jan 2012 Band on the Wall, Manchester

Wed 1 Feb 2012 Band on the Wall, Manchester

Thu 2 Feb 2012 Leeds University Union (Stylus, Pure & Mine), Leeds

Sat 4 Feb 2012 O2 Academy (1 and 2), Bristol

• 1 month later...

I see that Stephen Marley won the best reggae Grammy again.

So that's three solo albums he's done, and a grammy for each. There can't be many acts with that sort of record.

Then again it doesn't say much for the reggae grammy. While his first album (Mind Control) is superb, his second is an acoustic version of the same (it's good), his third is defo a bit Rastamouse on the lyrics front. The quality is falling I'd say.

And I see that he's got some festival dates already confirmed in Europe. Here's hoping that a festie promoter in the UK is smart enough to book him.

• 1 month later...

the 2012 guide to festival classic roots reggae (so far)....

Vegfest

Johnny Clarke

Talisman

Kaya

Lee Scratch Perry

Trojan Sound System

One Love

Dawn Penn

Dennis Alcapone

Tapper Zukie

One Love Peace Festival

Barrington Levy

Bunny Wailer

Capleton

Vintage Festival

Junior Murvin

Rhythms of the World

Junior Murvin

WOWFest

Aswad

Black Roots

Junior Marvin

Maxi Priest

Misty in Roots

Talisman

and ... erm ... UB40

Shambala Festival

The Twinkle Brothers

The Beatherder Festival

Lee Scratch Perry

Golden Down Festival

Lee Scratch Perry

• 2 months later...

have just discovered the Jamaica 50 concerts at the o2 - an absolutely stunning line-up of the very best reggae. Check this out!!!

JULY 25th

Lee Scratch Perry

Junior Murvin

Mad Professor

JULY 26th

Damian Marley

JULY 28th

Tappa Zukie

U-Roy

Yellowman

Dennis Alcapone

Winston Reedy

JULY 29th

Ernest Ranglin

Sly & Robbie

Monty Alexander

Bitty Mclean

JULY 30th

Mutabaruka

Benjamin Zephaniah

The Abyssinians

Jah9

JULY 31st

John Holt

Mighty Diamonds

Leroy 'Heptones' Sibbles

AUGUST 1st

Freddie McGregor

Marcia Griffiths

Maxi Priest

AUGUST 2nd

Gyptian

Tarrus Riley

Natty

AUGUST 3rd

Toots & The Maytals

Junior Toots

Sir Lloyd Coxsone & Fatman Hi Fi

AUGUST 4th

Horace Andy

Johnny Clarke

Michael Prophet

AUGUST 5th

Morgan Heritage

Shaggy

Raging Fyah

AUGUST 6th

Jimmy Cliff & Oneness

Derrick Morgan

Max Romeo

The Gaylads

Bob Andy

I wanna go - every night!!!

http://www.reggaeville.com/nc/artist-details/artist/jimmy-cliff/news/line-up-respect-jamaica-50th-in-london-2012/ac/news.html

Edited by eFestivals

have just discovered the Jamaica 50 concerts at the o2 - an absolutely stunning line-up of the very best reggae. Check this out!!!

:O Fookin 'ell!! thats a knees up!

Toots and The Maytals doc on BBC4 tomorrow night. Look good. He was on the Ronnie Wood show a few weeks back. Legend.

:O Fookin 'ell!! thats a knees up!

yep, it is .... I can't go to much of it tho, cos I'll be at WOMAD from 26th to 29th. Not sure if I'll manage to get any of the rest in either. :(

But I'm hoping that some of it might end up on the WOMAD bill. I tweeted WOMAD a while back to say they should book Stephen Marley (the best of the Marley bunch in my eyes), and they sent a teasing reply back, which I dismissed at the time.

But now I know that Damian is in the country I'm thinking that the tease might have been because they've booked him, so I can't wait for the rest of the WOMAD line-up to be announced now (it's announced tomorrow).

I've not seen it yet, but it's on my list of things to do that's saved for winter nights. When the reggae shop up the road from me has it for sale on DVD I'll be getting a copy.

It's great having a reggae shop just up the road (it's the nearest shop that there is to my house), as I go in there now and get the guy who runs it to recommend & play stuff to me - so my not-small-already collection has expanded a fair bit over the past few months since I moved house.

The latest addition to my collection - which I already love - is the Joshua Moses album that's been 30 years in the making. That's one to defo check out if you love reggae, and it's got some great Dennis Bovell contributions too (much of it is on YouTube).

And I'm really looking forward to the weekend, when I'll be seeing Joshua live on Saturday, followed by Taliman and Johnny Clarke on Sunday for free. :D

Edited by eFestivals

Corrected ;)

If you care to point me at any new reggae stars that justify some sort of 'best' label, I'm all ears. :)

I'm desperate to find anything that new and good, but there's almost nothing out there.

That is one hell of a line up. Wish I could go

it is. :)

If some smart cookie was put all of that onto an outdoor festival stage, I just can't believe it wouldn't sell.

I reckon that line-up could only be bettered by raising a few people from the dead - Bob, Gregory, Sugar, etc, etc.

Edited by eFestivals

If you care to point me at any new reggae stars that justify some sort of 'best' label, I'm all ears.

Adrian Sherwood was asked whether there was any new stuff coming out of Jamaica that excited him in this recent interview http://racketracket.co.uk/music/jd-twitch-meets-adrian-sherwood-part-2/

Clearly he doesn't like much of the current crop.

I'll stick to buying the re-issues from labels such as Pressure Sounds for the time being. They have a new Dennis Bovell release lined up next http://www.pressure.co.uk/news/2012-05-21/mek-it-run-by-dennis-bovell/

I caught Dennis live at WOMAD a few years ago, and it was fantastic.

I've become a huge fan of his since then, I can't believe now that somehow he'd just about passed me by until then.

There's a couple of new Dennis tracks on the Joshua Moses album, well worth checking out. I know at least one of them is on YouTube, for an easy listen.

If you care to point me at any new reggae stars that justify some sort of 'best' label, I'm all ears. :)

I'm desperate to find anything that new and good, but there's almost nothing out there.

sadly I know of none. Roots and culture is nearly dead it seems

If some smart cookie was put all of that onto an outdoor festival stage, I just can't believe it wouldn't sell.

I reckon that line-up could only be bettered by raising a few people from the dead - Bob, Gregory, Sugar, etc, etc.

There used to be a festival in Wales which always had a cracking line up. Plus Esstenial used to have the reggae Sunday. all gone now

Wish I had the funds to do it.