Guest perfectpassion

Other Lives at St Giles 21st Nov

Ben was right "For this reason we see no alternative but for them to be moved to a 1 hour slot on the Garden Stage whilst the sun gently sets on the day".

Well last night showed just how special Other Lives are, and despite enjoying them in the Tipi, a short slot in a tent was nowhere near good enough for these guys. St Giles is a very nice church, the sound and views are not as brilliant as Union Chapel, but it was epic enough for them to shine.

Support was Hannah Peel, lovely voice shame about the fact that she came on 10 mins late and only did a short slot. I have enjoyed the album, but I find her songs do not really grab me. Could do better.

Despite loving Other Lives i don't actually own the first lp, but was hoping to hear more, I think they only played 2 songs from it, and included the LC cover, which is a cover of a cover. Jessie also did a song on his own, not sure what it was called though. Even though they have been touring for 7 months their joy of playing was still there in bucketfuls. What was so much more apparent were the emotional surges of their sound. Epic, emotional and hearfelt pleasure, and Jessie and the band are so humble, enough to actually make you want to hug them all!!

One of my top three gigs of the year, I only wish that they had played the Garden Stage

Edited by perfectpassion

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with that review, I thought it was great. I thought it was much better than in the tent (yes, should ave been on the Garden Stage)and was so happy when they announced a headline gig in London (after initally announcing only a support slot).

Agree about St Giles, we had a very restricted view but that was probably our own fault. Because they only had one toilet at St Giles we decided to venture into Intrepid Fox-wow, mental, loved the car/spider thing on the ceiling- for the toilet and a drink. Came back to little choice in where we sat.

Loved Jesse's solo number. Very nice people all round, had a wee chat with Colby before hand who was very accomodating. During the set my other half decdied to book to see them in April. Cannot wait for that now.

Tomtrumps....due to the queue fiasco of getting to Agnes Obel early and still ending up near the back I just had to stand at the fornt of the queue this time and leap into the second row....would have saved you a place had I know. Do you not think that Union Chapel would be the perfect place to see them??? I have no idea what the venue is like in Shorditch??? Haven't booked tkts yet as I would hate to see them somewhere crap.....ADVICE NEEDED

As I rather feared, the church acoustics did OL no favours: Jesse's solo number came over very well, Tamer Animals remained majestic, but too often I felt the sound was a big bowl of gunk and swamped any detail. Nevertheless they came across as much much nicer and much less earnest than at EOTR. A good night overall, but not a great one.

Jessie's solo number was it called Black Tables? You weren't alone RRR, Mr PP complained loudly too. Compared to a lot of the recent gigs I've been to I thought it was OK. I remember The Leisure Soc sounded like "gunk" at St Giles.

Josh T Pearson @ Musician, Leicester

Was asked what to expect and guessed an hour of rude jokes and a few compelling guitar dirges, which was close although weighted towards the jokes (running gag about toilet breaks). One of the quietest gigs I'll ever see, decent crowd following Josh's guitar playing reverentially, but with less of the banter that Josh seems to feed off. Only 5 songs, but not sure I'd have stayed for 5 more if you know what I mean. Starting after 10 didn't help.

I like the Musician, the clean sound suited Josh as it did John Grant last year. The folk there were really friendly, and it does proper beer at good prices. Future gigs there a bit weighted toward tribute rock though.

Jonathan Wilson at Hoxton Square Bar and Kitchen.

First time I've been to this venue - quite a small gig area but not a bad place at all. Average price drinks and bar staff were friendly enough (although how someone can mistake an order for a glass of water for a pint of beer I'm not sure). Jonathan played most of Gentle Spirit plus a few other songs with his band - very good young musicians. I think listening to the album it's difficult to appreciate what a really great guitarist he is. We had a quick chat with him before his set and he's a really lovely guy too. Great night. Only slight criticism is that his set didn't begin until 9.30 which meant we didn't get out until 11.15 - OK if you live in London but I didn't get home until 12.40am which is a bit late mid week. Looking forward to seeing him at Scala in January when he comes back over for a few gigs and of course hoping he'll be doing at least one festival this summer!

Josh T Pearson @ Musician, Leicester

I like the Musician, the clean sound suited Josh as it did John Grant last year. The folk there were really friendly, and it does proper beer at good prices. Future gigs there a bit weighted toward tribute rock though.

Edited by Joe-

First time I've been to this venue - quite a small gig area but not a bad place at all. Average price drinks and bar staff were friendly enough (although how someone can mistake an order for a glass of water for a pint of beer I'm not sure). Jonathan played most of Gentle Spirit plus a few other songs with his band - very good young musicians. I think listening to the album it's difficult to appreciate what a really great guitarist he is. We had a quick chat with him before his set and he's a really lovely guy too. Great night. Only slight criticism is that his set didn't begin until 9.30 which meant we didn't get out until 11.15 - OK if you live in London but I didn't get home until 12.40am which is a bit late mid week. Looking forward to seeing him at Scala in January when he comes back over for a few gigs and of course hoping he'll be doing at least one festival this summer!

Dutch Uncles and Wild Beasts @ Junction

Dutch Uncles really are confident boys, with great reinvention of 80s sounds and superb abilities to switch betwen 3 guitars up to triple keyboard. Nice hints of Field Music angularities, but also dare I say it a hint of Paul Buchanan's rich but dry vocals. Half decent crowd for a support band too.

Wild Beasts are really getting to the top of their game, effortlessly merging smoother sounding tracks from smother with more upbeat stuff from two dancers (one or two with nice reinvention or pace changes, including a fantastic wall of sound in the encore). Both Hayden and Tom seem quite comfortable now with crowd interaction, I liked Hayden's reference to an old Cambridge gig review where he was described as "a gay looking french teacher in tight jeans that likes mika", and also calling Cambridge the deep south (I'm sufficiently northern to empathise).

Good gig, although Wild Beast sound could have done with a larger volume space.

Great to hear that you had a good time RL! Might just go and listen to some Dutch Uncles now

Gutted with the news that Micah P Hinson isn't supporting the Leisure Soc at the Barbican, and I am undecided about his replacement Loney Dear?

Stuck in tonight with Lionel Richie on C4 :(

Bella Hardy at The Slaughtered Lamb

It was time to start feeling festive on Sunday as Bella Hardy brought her Christmas Songs tour to the Slaughtered Lamb. Opening up was Blair Dunlop who was recently among the nominees for the BBC folk young musician prize. I was struck more by his guitar work than by his singing; his guitar playing was very good and he reminded me a bit of a much younger Michael Chapman, which is no bad thing obvs.

Bella Hardy was doing almost all Christmassy songs, moving from the traditional to the contemporary to the cheesy with ease. Backed by Anna Massie on guitar and a chap whose name I didn't catch on concertina, they opened with a folky arrangement of "Rockin around the Christmas tree" and went from there. Of most interest were the traditional carols from her Derbyshire home of Castleton. She's a talented singer and fiddle player, and the trio worked really well together. Not sure about Anna's jokes though...