Bestival 2012

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going again this year, was my first time in 2011, loved it so much had to make sure I go this year!

Persuaded even more of my friends to come too, should be an amazing experience yet again, I don't think they really need to change much!

Just interested in how everyone is travelling there, last year we trained it to Southampton & went over on passenger Ferry, thinking about maybe driving but it seems pretty expensive to take a car over on Ferry, only thing with the ferry is the queuing, must have been for a good 5 hours just to get on the ferry and the same on the way back.

Just interested in how everyone is travelling there, last year we trained it to Southampton & went over on passenger Ferry, thinking about maybe driving but it seems pretty expensive to take a car over on Ferry, only thing with the ferry is the queuing, must have been for a good 5 hours just to get on the ferry and the same on the way back.

This year's our first, just trying to get our plans over sorted now. Was that the Hi Speed ferry to West Cowes or the car ferry to East Cowes you queued for? I'm looking at pre-booking on the slower car ferry but if there's queues it doesn't seem worth it.

Edited by Shaun Child

If I could drive I would definately be driving down. I'm really looking forward to Bestival but the travel logistics of getting from Glasgow to the festival are a pain in the arse to be honest.

Edited by Paul ™

To be honest I think if you travel to Bestival then there's nothing really stopping you from travelling to somewhere like Pinkpop. I mean 150 euros is about £125, you get the same calibre of artists as you do at large British festivals, plane tickets are cheaper than boat tickets in some places... it's the logistics I worried about when I was thinking about Bestival last year. I mean there's the cost of it but then there's "the cost" of it.

It's actually quite cynical if you look deeper into it. I mean, the Isle of Wight is a lovely place but what about it changes for me to pay £40 to get over on the wednesday with Wightlink but if I wanted to go over on the thursday instead, have to pay £80? And the Travel Lodge on the wednesday (same with other franchise hotels too) - virtually 300 to 350 days a year these hotels are being offered at next to nothing whenever they send me e-mails; £19 here, £26 there; "come to Newport, Marc!"... and then when I go to apply these voucher codes, I find myself being confronted by an almighty £90 room tariff just because I've selected the 5th of September, the day before the festival.

Bestival is bloody expensive.

Flight Glasgow to Southampton (1hr 30 mins)

Train directly outside airport and 1 stop into Southampton (takes 10 minutes)

Free shuttle bus to the docks outside the train station (takes 15 minutes)

Ferry crossing from where shuttle bus drops you off (either 1hr or 30 minutes)

Pick up supplies ie booze/food from supermarket at East Cowes

Shuttle bus to the site from outside supermarket (30 minutes)

Total journey takes about 4-5 hours with virtually no walking about with gear until you get on the site.

£100 return for the flight from Glasgow - Southampton (inc taxes/luggage etc)

£5 return for the train to Southampton

£15 return for the ferry

£10 return for the shuttle bus to the site

£130 all in, not sure if that's the cheapest but definitely the quickest from up here

I went to Bestival last year and trying to decide whether to go again or choose T in The Park instead (have been to T 5 times)

Although i prefer the vibe at Bestival, it all depends on the acts for me - if i got one or a couple of the following, it would definitely sway me to Bestival - DEPECHE MODE, DAFT PUNK, ARCADE FIRE, NEW ORDER, CHEMICAL BROTHERS, KATE BUSH, PRINCE,THE KNIFE, DEADMAU5, DURAN DURAN..... I have my fingers crossed we could get one of those.

also, based on releases for next year, i wouldnt be suprised if one or some of these acts made an appearance (including some that played in 2011) Delphic, Late of The Pier, Skrillex, M83, TEED, Azari & III, Friendly Fires (Live) Bloc Party, Justice, Nero, Metronomy, Little Dragon, Chase and Status & SBTRKT....I would say Chromeo & Cut Copy both brilliant last year but as they dont live close/not sure if they have new material, i guess they wont be back....

any other ideas peeps?

Edited by Prawnofthedead

Yes it is expensive taking a car, however worth considering Tesco Club Card vouchers for Wightlink. It also means that you travel Lymington to Yarmouth which we did both last year and 2009 with no waiting at all. (Apart from five hours trying to get out of the carpark at Bestival in '09!)

DEPECHE MODE, DAFT PUNK, ARCADE FIRE, NEW ORDER, KATE BUSH, PRINCE,THE KNIFE, DEADMAU5....

Delphic, Late of The Pier, M83, TEED, Azari & III, Friendly Fires (Live) Bloc Party, Justice, Nero, Little Dragon, Chase and Status & SBTRKT...

any other ideas peeps?