Bestival 2012

Guest 5co77ie

Much as I love him, surely David Byrne would be too much off the normal Bestival crowd's radar?

Even if he swerved his solo output and played solely Talking Heads stuff I reckon that would be the case - it certainly was at Big Chill a few years back, and Big Chill then had a noticeably older crowd than Bestival. And I saw him twice at his own shows on that same tour, and what was in-yer-face noticeable was balding heads* and not young heads.

(* not quite me, I'm about the same sort of age, but with a full head of hair :P).

I know The Cure who they had this year isn't hugely different, and yet .... they're a few years newer than Talking Heads were, plus they have a far greater number of chart hits, so are that bit more accessible. Plus they're still the same name, not the one-hit (that's nothing typical of his output) frontman from a band that's been dead for 20 years.

I'd love it if Bestival booked him (I'd be there :D), but I reckon it'd be a bad move as a headliner.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw David Byrne a couple of years ago at Southampton Guildhall - a great show with a few Talking Heads songs, but as far as I remember it was only about a third full (500-750 people) so I cant really see him pulling a large enough crowd.

if it only had "a few" talking heads songs that was longer ago than just a couple of years ago.

His last tour - which finished over two years ago (the last date of the tour was at Big Chill '09) - was subtitled "songs of Byrne & Eno" or something, and was chock full of just about all the best Talking Heads songs .... and i think that tour was pretty much a sell-out. I know the London date was sold out cos I had to blag tickets tho a contact, and the Bristol show I went to was just about full, tho I'm not sure if it was actually sold out or not.

He's still a popular act that manages to sell a more than decent number of tickets on just about any tour he does (they tend to be every 2 or 3 years - I've been going to them for 15-ish years), but I don't think he's really an act that would appeal to many of the 'core' Bestival goers.

Edited by eFestivals

if it only had "a few" talking heads songs that was longer ago than just a couple of years ago.

His last tour - which finished over two years ago (the last date of the tour was at Big Chill '09) - was subtitled "songs of Byrne & Eno" or something, and was chock full of just about all the best Talking Heads songs .... and i think that tour was pretty much a sell-out. I know the London date was sold out cos I had to blag tickets tho a contact, and the Bristol show I went to was just about full, tho I'm not sure if it was actually sold out or not.

He's still a popular act that manages to sell a more than decent number of tickets on just about any tour he does (they tend to be every 2 or 3 years - I've been going to them for 15-ish years), but I don't think he's really an act that would appeal to many of the 'core' Bestival goers.

Both the Oxford and London ones I went to on that tour were full. And yeah, lots of Talking Heads songs, and most of the rest were off the album he'd just done with Eno.

I was at the London show too, in prime seats blagged off Byrne's management. :D

(that's the one and only time in 13 years of running this website that I've used my position to blag tickets [tho I did have to pay for them] to a show I've wanted to go to only for personal reasons).

As far as I can remember, there were one or two songs that were Byrne solo songs as well as the TH & Byrne/Eno ones, tho I can't remember which ones now (I'm guessing it was something off Catherine Wheel, which is a superb album).

I was disappointed that there was so little played off the 'Bush of Ghosts' album. I'd have thought that would have made up a big part of the set.

Anyway, if Bestival do book David Byrne, Rob da Bank should get contracted in that the set has to include the raved up version of 'I Zimbra' that Byrne played on his 97/98 tour (which included a headline slot on Glasto's Jazzworld Stage) - cos reworkings of songs don't come any better than that.

Edited by eFestivals

• 2 weeks later...

I love this speculation.

Instinct tells me it may be - Florence + The Machine on Friday, New Order on Saturday and Sigur Ros on Sunday on the main stage with Orbital headlining the Big Top. Although with Florence I could imagine her being at T in the Park or V in 2012.

But I would like, in an ideal world, for it to be - Daft Punk on Friday, Depeche Mode on Saturday and Arcade Fire on Sunday, again with Orbital headlining Big Top on Sunday AFTER Arcade Fire.

I'm half expecting there to be an announcement soon whenever the tickets go on general sale. I remember them going onsale last year around the beginning of December (?) so hoepfully not long to wait now. To be honest, I'm not really that fussed. I'll spend most of my days and nights staring at the ceiling in the Psychedelic Worm tent where they'll hopefully have The Black Angels playing.

Come on efests, give Bestival its own space on the main forum page.

It's a right ballache talking about different things on the same thread. Even Guilfest has its own special place!

No idea who's going to headline but there is usually one dance act so hoping for Daft Punk. Or even Chemical Brothers would be good (last years appearances at other fests might put off RDB from booking them).

• 2 weeks later...

Of course there will!

Check out the Psychedelic Worm tent or Sailor Jerry's for some great alternatives. Anything would be better than Florence and her overexposed, clinically engineered Machine; and let's face it the hipster audience would only be there to hear 'You Got The Love' (as if that's still relevant) and then fuck off anyway, so could you think of any place on earth where you would rather not be than the field in front of mainstage when she plays?

Friday - Florence + The Machine

Saturday - New Order

Sunday - Beastie Boys

That's my prediction. Buy me a bowl of soup if I get it right.

But if she does headline there will be plenty of other alternatives.

Of course there will!

Check out the Psychedelic Worm tent or Sailor Jerry's for some great alternatives. Anything would be better than Florence and her overexposed, clinically engineered Machine; and let's face it the hipster audience would only be there to hear 'You Got The Love' (as if that's still relevant) and then fuck off anyway, so could you think of any place on earth where you would rather not be than the field in front of mainstage when she plays?

Friday - Florence + The Machine

Saturday - New Order

Sunday - Beastie Boys

That's my prediction. Buy me a bowl of soup if I get it right.