Bestival 2012

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I get like that as well :) I only remember where I was as my memory was jogged from your post above

We walked past BAD and I thought, "that's a very small crowd", then past Noah and the Whale, prompting a massive rant from my mate about how shit he thinks they are, then we got to GLC, which was absolutely rammed but lots of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

how early should i book travel for this?

i'll be travelling down from glasgow and starting to stress a bit about the travelling. i'm thinking flying might be the cheapest but i've never booked a flight before..

what's the closest airport? and do you need to book the ferry in advance?

I'm looking at booking this up in the next couple of weeks as I've heard rave reviews about it, and like 200,000 other people I need a similar Glastonbury fix next summer!

A few Questions...what's the layout of the site like? When can you actually get onto the site from? - we will want to go from as early as possible. How quick do tickets tend to sell out? Is it straight after the line-up is announced? What's the vibe like? Similar to Glastonbury? Do ferrys from Southampton get booked up well in advance.....we will probably come down from Oxford in cars.

A few Questions...what's the layout of the site like? When can you actually get onto the site from? - we will want to go from as early as possible. How quick do tickets tend to sell out? Is it straight after the line-up is announced? What's the vibe like? Similar to Glastonbury? Do ferrys from Southampton get booked up well in advance.....we will probably come down from Oxford in cars.

Thanks for the info Dave. :)

Think I'll try and book my ticket on friday....anyone know how much the payment plan is and how many debits they are after the inital one? And would they try to take an amount off me at the end of this month if I bought one this week?

thanks. :)

Scotland to Isle of Wight is a long haul. I wish you the best of luck with that one.

Closest airport is probably Southampton although I think Portsmouth has one too. Not sure about the prices but it's all probably around the same whatever way you go - going in a car is probably a little cheaper.

- Plane would be about £150 return for one person and then you'd pay (I think) £30 foot passenger on boat. Then you'd have the bus/taxi costs on the other side. You could be lucky though - plane tickets vary wildly so it'd be a case of wearing out your refresh button.

- Car fuel cost would be relative to engine size/distance but it cost us £90 in fuel to get there and back last year and based on two people, the ferry across from Portsmouth to Fishbourne was £110 but it varies (cheaper/more expensive) depending on when you arrive and when you leave, and I think how many people you have in the car with you. Best to play around with times a little and see what works best.

- Train would cost about £120 for a return as well for one person, I think, and then the same applies to this as it does to getting a plane down so you'll have the foot passenger ticket (£30) and the bus/taxi on the other side. Of course, there's always Railcard.

In any case, getting to Bestival from the mainland (especially if you live a long way away from Portsmouth or Southampton) is a logistical nightmare, so accomodation would be a good option on the wednesday and maybe less so on sunday or monday night. Yes you'd need to book the ferry in advance to avoid panic. I also wouldn't book it any later than April but taking into account the lack of Glastonbury this year and the possibility of yet another amazing line-up, I'd do it as soon you have a spare £200 floating about.

Much as I love him, surely David Byrne would be too much off the normal Bestival crowd's radar?

Even if he swerved his solo output and played solely Talking Heads stuff I reckon that would be the case - it certainly was at Big Chill a few years back, and Big Chill then had a noticeably older crowd than Bestival. And I saw him twice at his own shows on that same tour, and what was in-yer-face noticeable was balding heads* and not young heads.

(* not quite me, I'm about the same sort of age, but with a full head of hair :P).

I know The Cure who they had this year isn't hugely different, and yet .... they're a few years newer than Talking Heads were, plus they have a far greater number of chart hits, so are that bit more accessible. Plus they're still the same name, not the one-hit (that's nothing typical of his output) frontman from a band that's been dead for 20 years.

I'd love it if Bestival booked him (I'd be there :D), but I reckon it'd be a bad move as a headliner.

Much as I love him, surely David Byrne would be too much off the normal Bestival crowd's radar?

Even if he swerved his solo output and played solely Talking Heads stuff I reckon that would be the case - it certainly was at Big Chill a few years back, and Big Chill then had a noticeably older crowd than Bestival. And I saw him twice at his own shows on that same tour, and what was in-yer-face noticeable was balding heads* and not young heads.

(* not quite me, I'm about the same sort of age, but with a full head of hair :P).

I know The Cure who they had this year isn't hugely different, and yet .... they're a few years newer than Talking Heads were, plus they have a far greater number of chart hits, so are that bit more accessible. Plus they're still the same name, not the one-hit (that's nothing typical of his output) frontman from a band that's been dead for 20 years.

I'd love it if Bestival booked him (I'd be there :D), but I reckon it'd be a bad move as a headliner.

Yeah, I guess Byrne might suit that sort of slot - but I think there'd be far less interest than there was for Primal Scream. Just based on when he last toured and nothing else I'd say he's probably likely to be touring next year, so fingers crossed that he is and hopefully he'll do a festival or two.

Based on the bands that Bestival normally has, I'm not sure that PIxies are the sort of act they're likely to think of booking. And while they might pull a big crowd, that's a different thing to shifting tickets by their inclusion - I'm not sure how they stand with that nowadays (I'd imagine that almost everyone who'd wanted to see them now has done), but it's effect would be lesser at Bestival I'd say than at other festies that might book them.

Yeah, I guess Byrne might suit that sort of slot - but I think there'd be far less interest than there was for Primal Scream. Just based on when he last toured and nothing else I'd say he's probably likely to be touring next year, so fingers crossed that he is and hopefully he'll do a festival or two.

Based on the bands that Bestival normally has, I'm not sure that PIxies are the sort of act they're likely to think of booking. And while they might pull a big crowd, that's a different thing to shifting tickets by their inclusion - I'm not sure how they stand with that nowadays (I'd imagine that almost everyone who'd wanted to see them now has done), but it's effect would be lesser at Bestival I'd say than at other festies that might book them.