NFL

Ed209

I think the Bucs are trying to trade Glennon, the new coach/GM don't value him for some reason. I read the other day they were loking for a secong round pick for him.

And yeah agree about the QBs, while the QB class is deep none of the top guys are anywhere near as good as Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Cam Newton or Sam Bradford were. They just don't justify a top 5 pick, especially with the top class tackles, receivers and pass rushers there. I can also see Houston, Jacksonville and Oakland taking QBs at the start of the second round (or even trading for Glennon). Bortles and Manziel will make it that far but there are still good second round QBs, escpecially if Carr and/or Bridgewater slip that far.

Edited by mrtourette

I think the Bucs are trying to trade Glennon, the new coach/GM don't value him for some reason. I read the other day they were loking for a secong round pick for him.

They are dreaming, considering he was a 3rd round pick last year. If the run on QBs in the 1st doe not go down then there should be plenty in the 2nd round for those folk to aim for without trading for Glennon

Yeah if Cleveland don't take him at #4 (which I don't think they will, they'll use the #26 pick on Bridgewater or Carr) I'd imagine one of Tampa, Minnesota or Tennessee will grab him before the Cowboys are up.

I really hope he doesn't go to Cleveland, no matter what you think of him, and no offence to anyone (pardon the pun) but it's not really the greatest place to show off your stuff is it?! Cleveland is the team in the NFL that I sometimes forget it even exists.

Let Greg Robinson fall to #19? please? :telephone:

I really hope he doesn't go to Cleveland, no matter what you think of him, and no offence to anyone (pardon the pun) but it's not really the greatest place to show off your stuff is it?! Cleveland is the team in the NFL that I sometimes forget it even exists.

Let Greg Robinson fall to #19? please? :telephone:

No chance, I was hoping Zack Martin would but his buzz is rising so it looks like he'll be gone by then if Robinson, Matthews and Lewan go top 10. I think there are a couple of second tier tackles that Miami like (JaWuan James, Morgan Moses) that might be a reach at #19, maybe they'll trade back and pick one of those up.

They are dreaming, considering he was a 3rd round pick last year. If the run on QBs in the 1st doe not go down then there should be plenty in the 2nd round for those folk to aim for without trading for Glennon

Yeah it seems odd to try such a stunt in a year with a deep QB class. I don't know why they want to ditch him anyway, he played pretty well last year especially for a rookie.

No chance, I was hoping Zack Martin would but his buzz is rising so it looks like he'll be gone by then if Robinson, Matthews and Lewan go top 10. I think there are a couple of second tier tackles that Miami like (JaWuan James, Morgan Moses) that might be a reach at #19, maybe they'll trade back and pick one of those up.

Haha I know but one can dream! Yeah I think realistically we're looking at Zack Martin or Cyrus... something, can never remember how to spell the guys second name :prankster:

Matthews and Robinson will definitely go top 10. However I'm still in the belief that the top QB's (Manziel, Bortles & Bridgewater) will go too. Standing by it.

Wouldn't be surprised if it kicked off something like this:

HOU - Jadeveon Clowney

STL - Sammy Watkins/Khalil Mack/Greg Robinson

JAX - Sammy Watkins/Khalil Mack/Greg Robinson

CLE - Sammy Watkins/Khalil Mack/Greg Robinson

OAK - Mike Evans

ATL - Jake Matthews

TB - Johnny Manziel

MIN - Blake Bortles

BUF - Taylor Lewan

That's the top three tackles and top two receivers, QBs and pass rushers, after that there's a few very decent CBs that will start to go as well as a couple of safeties and linebackers. Chuck Eric Ebron and Zack Martin in there and you've probably got your top 20.

Cleveland take Derek Carr #26, Bridgewater goes to Houston at #33 or Jacksonville #35

I know like you said Bridgewater's rep has faded over the last few months, but you think Carr will be taken before Bridgewater? Surely not, I know Carr has been on the rise recently but surely not taken before Bridgewater.

The draft is a mysterious thing, trying to see through all this smoke...

Ill go with the first 10 as the following unless there are some trades............which of course there very much could be.

HOU - Jadeveon Clowney

STL - Jake Mathews

JAX - Sammy Watkins

CLE - Mike Evans

OAK - Khalil Mack

ATL - Greg Robinson

TB - Odell Beckham (if the Glaziers dont fall for the JM Hype)

MIN - Blake Bortles

BUF - Eric Ebron

DET - Darqueze Denard

Bortles at #3? Mack to the Raiders? Manziel to the Browns at #22? Bills traded up to grab Watkins?

That first round was so weird. Manziel must be a bit gutted (especially when the Cowboys passed on him) but at least I'm sure I wont forget the Browns exist this year. No suprises for Clowney and Robinson.

Not too sure what to make of my Dolphins pick, think we could've traded down a bit and still managed James, if we wanted him that bad could've at least got a couple of extra picks out of it but who knows. We needed to address the right side of the o-line and we did, can't say fairer than that I suppose.

Ended up watching until the Cowboys picked, got a bit caught up in Manziel excitement :P Especially after the Jaguars going for Bortles. Manziel did look a bit gutted once the cowboys passed on him! :P

Dominique Easley seems a weird choice the Patriots to go for, right position but considering the injuries they picked up last year seems odd to pick up someone who has an injury hisory.

Edited by LondonTom

Bortles at #3? Mack to the Raiders? Manziel to the Browns at #22? Bills traded up to grab Watkins?

That first round was so weird. Manziel must be a bit gutted (especially when the Cowboys passed on him) but at least I'm sure I wont forget the Browns exist this year. No suprises for Clowney and Robinson.

Not too sure what to make of my Dolphins pick, think we could've traded down a bit and still managed James, if we wanted him that bad could've at least got a couple of extra picks out of it but who knows. We needed to address the right side of the o-line and we did, can't say fairer than that I suppose.

Definitely agree with that. Have read over the last few weeks that Miami have had him rated as a first round pick and the fifth best tackle so once Zack Martin and the linebackers who were taken around the same time he was were gone James was the obvious choice, but not many other teams had him that high so they could have traded down and still got him. Arizona at 20 and the Eagles at 22 traded down so I'm sure Miami could have cut a deal with the Browns or Saints, maybe they wanted too much.

I was sure that once the Giants didn't take him that Zack Martin would slide to us, damn Cowboys have the worst defense yet still take an offensive lineman. Sensible to take the best player on the board but whenever the hell have Dallas ever done sensible? Fine time to bloody start.

Edited by mrtourette

I know like you said Bridgewater's rep has faded over the last few months, but you think Carr will be taken before Bridgewater? Surely not, I know Carr has been on the rise recently but surely not taken before Bridgewater.

The draft is a mysterious thing, trying to see through all this smoke...

It depended/depends on the team, I have read that Houston and Minnesota had Bridgewater higher but that the Browns and Raiders preferred Carr. I think the Texans would have taken Bridgewater, and I remember reading that the Vikings really liked Bridgewater but not enough to take him at 8, so it's no surprise they took the opportunity to jump ahead of the Texans and take him rather than Carr.

It's all moot now though, so I can wildly and inaccurately speculate on tonight - now Bridgewater has gone I wouldn't be surpised if Houston don't take a QB until the third round, although there has been rumours of Houston trading for Ryan Mallet from the Patriots instead of drafting a QB. That would leave Oakland open to take Carr, although they're likely to have other very good options as well so maybe Carr will slip to Tampa or Arizona.

Looking for Miami to take an inside linebacker and another tackle tonight, possibly a running back if those options don't pan out.

Edited by mrtourette

Not surprised by the Cards pick. It fills a need. Can't say I'm too knowledgable about Bucannon but he sounds like a tough, hard hitting SS very much in the Adrian Wilson mould which is exactly what we need in the NFC West.

Made sense not to go for the QB. This team wasn't far off getting to the play offs last year. This draft was all about filling immediate needs to challenge for the NFC West and hopefully the Superbowl. Interested to see what they do next.

What time does is it all start again today?

Not surprised by the Cards pick. It fills a need. Can't say I'm too knowledgable about Bucannon but he sounds like a tough, hard hitting SS very much in the Adrian Wilson mould which is exactly what we need in the NFC West.

Made sense not to go for the QB. This team wasn't far off getting to the play offs last year. This draft was all about filling immediate needs to challenge for the NFC West and hopefully the Superbowl. Interested to see what they do next.

What time does is it all start again today?

Midnight. And Cards filled a need but that guy probably would have been there in the second round. Like Miami I can only assume that they liked him so much that they preferred to reach for him rather than risk trying to get good value by using a later pick/trading back again and losing him.

Midnight. And Cards filled a need but that guy probably would have been there in the second round. Like Miami I can only assume that they liked him so much that they preferred to reach for him rather than risk trying to get good value by using a later pick/trading back again and losing him.

I suspect they were concerned that the 49ers may take him as a replacement for Whitner. They went for Ward in the end so were obviously sniffing around the SS's. Probably didn't want to take the risk.

I don't understand the need at QB with the Cards, I know your schedule wasn't too bad this past season but come on, you were absolutely robbed of a place in the playoffs, I thought Carson did really well.

A backup running back would be a good choice for my fins, but I think we may be able to take one in the lower rounds due to the arrival of Knowshon Moreno in free agency. In running back terms he is getting on a bit now but he should see us through another couple of years injury dependent.

I'd sooner take a Linebacker after Wheelers exceedingly average performance this past season. Or another Safety as Delmas only signed a 1 year contract with us from the Lions.

Patriots picking Jimmy Garoppolo is an intresting move! Sensible when you think about Brady's age but will be intresting to see over the next couple of years.

Thought the Jaguars done pretty well from my limited knowledge :P Hopefully they will be able to pick up a win at Wembley this year :D

Edited by LondonTom

Jags are playing the Cowboys at Wembley right? still baffled at Bortles being 3rd overall pick.

I really have no idea though why the Cowboys persist so much with Romo, I've never seen anything in him, I don't understand why they insist on keeping him and believing in him. I was very suprised they didn't pick a single QB in the draft especially with him having back troubles (incl. surgery) plus he's getting on a bit now.

I'm going to Dolphins v Raiders, pretty confident that we Fins will get a win there.

• 3 months later...

Back tomorrow night with an absolute juicy top drawer opener. Could easily be a early look at the NFC championship game. Would love for the Pack to clip the Seahawks wings but even with Rodgers, his receiving core and Lacy I fear the Seahawks will be too strong. Key area of the game for me is if the Pack D can stop the Skittle Beast runs and negate Wilsons play action game.

Anyone planing to watch it live? On way too late for me. It will be a long day on Friday trying to avoid the result.

Think I'll take advantage of a final couple of weeks not having to set my morning alarm and stay up and watch this one! Looking forward to seeing whether Seahawks can live up to last year's standards, which I just can't see them doing, although I expect them to beat the Packers.

Will then be staying up Monday night to watch my Cardinals too! I expect the Cards to push the 49ers down into 3rd place in the NFC West this year and be Seattle's main challengers. Big losses on D during the offseason, namely Dansby, Washington and Dockett, could put pay to that however. Not so much Dockett as his production hasn't been great the past season or two, but the losses at linebacker could see us struggle. I'm expecting double digit wins but even that might not be enough, as was discovered last year!

Don't even know where to put my money for Superbowl participants this year. I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say Winners of NFC West vs. Colts.

Have last nights game on record. Haven't watched it yet and don't know the score, so will look forward to that later this afternoon.

To purely gloat - I'm going to visit the University of Alabama in a couple of weeks and I've managed to time things very well. Just bought my tickets for Alabama vs Florida at the Bryant-Denny stadium. Pretty bloody excited :D