The post-festival capacity thread

Guest Infinite Jest

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right - this year it DID seem there was a higher natter-count.

I remember how amazing it was to watch Fleet Foxes in reverential silence !!

Mind you, I plead guilty this time round - I went to the Woods Stage with mates and, believe me, I DID try to get the 'magic' of Ms Newsom.

But after four tortuous numbers I had to cry out ENOUGHHHHHHHHHHH................................running back to my tent to scratch a blackboard.

//

Edited by marooned

You're right - this year it DID seem there was a higher natter-count.

I remember how amazing it was to watch Fleet Foxes in reverential silence !!

Mind you, I plead guilty this time round - I went to the Woods Stage with mates and, believe me, I DID try to get the 'magic' of Ms Newsom.

But after four tortuous numbers I had to cry out ENOUGHHHHHHHHHHH................................running back to my tent to scratch a blackboard.

//

Hi fellow EOTR folk,

After some post festival pondering (and a holiday) I thought I'd throw my two penneth into the capacity thing. My wife and I went this year for the first time. We only moved to the south east last year and had previously always, but always ignored festivals as we both perceived them to be Reading/V type monstrosities. We attend a heck of lot of gigs each year, usually in small venues, seeing bands not many people have heard of. When we came across EOTR last year, it was because Cass McCombs was playing whom my wife dearly loves. We checked the forum last year before buying tickets and you guys all made the festival sound wonderful.

We both had an amazing time and would go back at the drop of a hat....but....even though we'd never been before we definitely sensed some of things that some of you long time EOTR's have mentioned. Some examples:

Timber Timbre were amazing in the big top. We stood near the front, but for about 15 mins a few lads next to use just kept talking away to each other as though they were in the pub. This kind of thing seems to happen more and more at gigs generally but I had hoped EOTR would be different. I must say though,we moved a little away from them and the rest of the set was played to a wonderfully silent crowd.

Sat around the campfire one evening, with families around with kids, some drunken oaf wandered into the middle and started swearing and abusing people around the fire. When told to move along by a nearby fireman, he directed his abuse at him before flouncing off no doubt to annoy others elsewhere.

Several times, especially in the sun, we sat out at the Garden stage to enjoy some early afternoon music, e.g Beth Jeans Houghton, The Unthanks, and were amazed at the constant chatter of people around us. Was no-one there to listen to the music....grrrr

I was totally non plussed by the Woods stage. Could have been anywhere and in the end spent little to no time there.

These are just few quibbles and like I say we had an amazing time overall. So many wonderful memories (Walkmen, Doug Paisley - wonderful example of a reverential crowd taken in by lovely music, Robin Ince's book club late on Sat night, Timber Timbre, White Denim...many many more). We met generally lovely people, loved the food and warm cider and the woods area was lovely.

However I can see why the old EOTR among you are now saying it's a great, not wonderful festival. We didn't plump for early birds because of some of the annoyances above and may consider NDH instead to see if we can get in on that magic from the start. That being said its a lovely lovely festival and I don't want to seem overly negative, these are just my thoughts, I'm sure everyone has their own which may differ.

As a first timer, I would say to Simon & Sofia, don't get any bigger or you will become another place where annoying people go to get drunk and talk through the music.

Peace all

MW

ps - a little sad about the REM news, loved them most of my life, but couldn't bear to see them live in latter years in places like Hyde Park.

Hi fellow EOTR folk,

After some post festival pondering (and a holiday) I thought I'd throw my two penneth into the capacity thing. My wife and I went this year for the first time. We only moved to the south east last year and had previously always, but always ignored festivals as we both perceived them to be Reading/V type monstrosities. We attend a heck of lot of gigs each year, usually in small venues, seeing bands not many people have heard of. When we came across EOTR last year, it was because Cass McCombs was playing whom my wife dearly loves. We checked the forum last year before buying tickets and you guys all made the festival sound wonderful.

We both had an amazing time and would go back at the drop of a hat....but....even though we'd never been before we definitely sensed some of things that some of you long time EOTR's have mentioned. Some examples:

Timber Timbre were amazing in the big top. We stood near the front, but for about 15 mins a few lads next to use just kept talking away to each other as though they were in the pub. This kind of thing seems to happen more and more at gigs generally but I had hoped EOTR would be different. I must say though,we moved a little away from them and the rest of the set was played to a wonderfully silent crowd.

Sat around the campfire one evening, with families around with kids, some drunken oaf wandered into the middle and started swearing and abusing people around the fire. When told to move along by a nearby fireman, he directed his abuse at him before flouncing off no doubt to annoy others elsewhere.

Several times, especially in the sun, we sat out at the Garden stage to enjoy some early afternoon music, e.g Beth Jeans Houghton, The Unthanks, and were amazed at the constant chatter of people around us. Was no-one there to listen to the music....grrrr

I was totally non plussed by the Woods stage. Could have been anywhere and in the end spent little to no time there.

These are just few quibbles and like I say we had an amazing time overall. So many wonderful memories (Walkmen, Doug Paisley - wonderful example of a reverential crowd taken in by lovely music, Robin Ince's book club late on Sat night, Timber Timbre, White Denim...many many more). We met generally lovely people, loved the food and warm cider and the woods area was lovely.

However I can see why the old EOTR among you are now saying it's a great, not wonderful festival. We didn't plump for early birds because of some of the annoyances above and may consider NDH instead to see if we can get in on that magic from the start. That being said its a lovely lovely festival and I don't want to seem overly negative, these are just my thoughts, I'm sure everyone has their own which may differ.

As a first timer, I would say to Simon & Sofia, don't get any bigger or you will become another place where annoying people go to get drunk and talk through the music.

Peace all

MW

ps - a little sad about the REM news, loved them most of my life, but couldn't bear to see them live in latter years in places like Hyde Park.

Great post Mike, many thanks. Totally with you on the Woods stage - if there was just ONE thing I could change it would be to get rid of that and revert to headliners playing the Garden Stage - perhaps several smaller stages to make up for no Woods stage.

Agree on the REM sentiment. Was 18 and at Uni when Murmur was released - the run of albums from that to Automatic is probably (Beatles excepted) the best ever. When I saw them the first time and they played So Central Rain I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Mind you, they haven't been up to that much recently and probably was time to call it a day. Still sad though.

Edited by Maoster

Post Bill Berry's departure there were still enough golden moments on their records to keep buying them, but admittedly, thye didn't quite match the earlier work (Accelerate is close though IMO). But, even on the last tour they were still an amazing, amazing live band. The 39 Songs CD is well worth checking out. I would say 1982-1996, every album is 5* for me (Ok, maybe not Fables or Monster).