The post-festival capacity thread

Guest Infinite Jest

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my fourth eotr, for me some of the magic was gone. did not like the woods stage a field with a stage at one end it was like every other festival. sound was ok but only watched two bands on there. the pathway was just awful,it was like an assault course. the camping was hard work as some just wanted to hear there own voice,s all night shouting and squealing.definitely more drunks about.

Apart from the rough trek to the campsite I enjoyed every minute of the 4 days. There didn't seem to be as many people as in previous years so a big "thumbs up" for the extra stage. Cant remember queuing for a drink and the urinals stopped the excessive queuing for the girls.

Food was as good as ever.

My only gripes (I am coming up to 60 !!!!) Modern artists attract the young,of which,the majority are good mannered and respectful of their neighbors, sadly,there were more "louts" about this year. Also sat by the Piano Stage last night before John Grant came on and I would have liked to have heard some of the lovely stuff being played. Silence in the Magic Garden please !!

Well to balance some of the moaning going on here ;) we had an awesome weekend - 3rd time at EOTR.

I liked the new site layout - liked the whole Tipi area, the Comedy was tons better, the Woods stage was fine - and i think necessary to have another big stage. The Garden stage is still there remember and as great as ever and in fact I found it less crowded on the whole around it.

Yes the path in was a bit rough on the feet but come on people get a grip - it wasn't really *that* far to walk.

We camped right down at the far end - which I think was the 'quiet' area ...not really much further away in the whole scheme of things,plenty of space, nice neighbours. Toilets were good - except on Sunday morning for a short time - when they seemed to be a bit later coming rnd to clean em.

Regarding Q's - top tip is maybe don't have yr dinner at the same hour that everyone else is ! Similarly with bars - there will be certain times depending on the band when it will be busy so just choose wisely, just like gigs. I never q'd more than a minute or 2 and believe me I was at the bars quite a bit :lol:

I do think there were maybe more 'young folk' about this year but can't say any of em caused me any grief.

All in all another fantastic festival . And the weather was bloomin kind to us - places east and west of the site had some serious rain over the weekend, we were soooooo lucky.

Roll on 2012 !

Second time this year for myself and my Girlfriend. Last year I was bought the tickets for my Birthday as Iron and Wine are a big favourite of mine. Was My first festival too (as the thought of going to Glastonbury or V, Reading or leads etc makes me cringe)

I loved every minute of last year, met loads of like minded people, and shared some amazing moments and in a very relaxed atmosphere. and I know you most probably did too.

Really could'nt fault it.(cept for the singer of whisky in my whisky on Sunday night about 2am! :angry: )

Not the same this year sadly, very simply to many people, and not the good type. More the type that say thing's like 'OMG so amazing' over and over and talk none stop OVER peoples sets.

Nonelondoner must of had the misfortune of them too.

Also theres something not very enchanting about having to queue to walk through the enchanted forest.

The new stage had no atmosphere and it makes me very sad to think how nice Joanna Newsoms set could of been in the Gardens. The same way Sam Beam left me speechless last year.

I feel someone missed the point of the festival they created. I dont want to think that the reason behind it is money because everything and everyone sells out these days and this Festival just seemed like it was for the (few) old school lot who still appreciated the intimacy of music.

Looks like if it gets bigger, I'll have to look for a new End to the Summer Road.

Dom. 25. Kent

Edited by Dom Dom Dom

I'll add my thoughts to this thread as a 2nd timer. First time, I was so impressed with the vibe but the line -up lacked a bit of oomph for me. This year, I have not seen any bad band at all. I did love Mogwai and I thought they went down well at that time in the evening. I love the fact that most bands compliment the festival when on stage, I see it as "we had a good time today, let's give good time back".

Regarding the layout and the capacity, it didn't feel as bad as I thought it may be.

The extension of the Woods stage means that there is a lot more space for the increase. It did however lose a bit of the community feeling.

The Woods stage wasn't as pretty and intimate though, I know it is the main stage but the Garden one had a more unique feel and setting.

The comedy stage was brilliant although a bit of a trek to get to. Talking about trek, what was the path to the camping area about???!!! What a pain!! I'm not a lazy bum or anything but as we arrived late, we got put in the overflow car park and gosh, it was a hike! I never seen rocks that big in my LIFE!

The areas in the woods with circus and all that meant that the "main" area lost a bit of a fun feeling though.

Someone mentioned the two 12 yr old girls asking for fags, I saw them too!! I don't think it is necessarily an indicator of the population change as in general, it was quite chilled out. But I wouldn't want to see it increasing any more. I would ideally like to see a better way to get to the camp site and the Woods stage being made a bit... more friendly?

My fourth and it's still the best festival around. The Woods stage is ok and they've at least made an effort to provide a stage that everyone can go to, even if they don't provide acts that everyone wants to go and see (the unopposed Newsom argument will rage elsewhere I imagine). But it does its job, the sound seemed fine to me and it's on a downward slope which is more than can be said for the Obelisk at Latitude.

There seemed to be tons of open space in the main village which meant stalls were miles apart - possibly over-compensating for the extra numbers, cod the village area was never that crowded in previous years.

The walkway could have been done a lot better - like putting down nothing at all. I had a trolley disaster on the way back whihc involved me having to reload the whole thing because of the big stones. Most people snuck onto the edge of the adjacent field for easier movement.

Other than that it was pretty much business as usual for me. Never had to queue very much for anything and toilets, though less clean than in previous years, are still far better than at most festivals. Disappointed that Pieminister closed so early every day though - it was either immense queuse or closed, so I didn't partake. Anyway the Tibetan Kitchen more than made up for it.

As someone else said - the magic disappeared for me this year too (I think, wrestling with some inner turmoil still here today!). Had a great great weekend, but feel just overall that it's changed from a 'must must go' in 2012, to a 'Hmm, wonder if there is anything out there that's better' now. I would try No Direction Home if it will be like EOTR used to be, but can't do that weekend.

This certainly isn't a rant, but in the programme it does say to let them know what you think, so this seems like the kind of place they will be taking a look at. Being that most of the below results from the capcaity increase, this seems the thread to best put it.

So,.... in no particular order:

The line-up is still unbeatable.

The Garden Stage is still amazing (but the line up on this stage now alot weaker now it's the second stage - meaning abit less time spent there for me this year).

Big Top - still ace.

Woods / Library / Forest Disco / Healing Fields - still all ace.

Kids Bit / Pavillion / Comdey - vastly improved I thought - loved that little area, whereas previously usally just used to wander around once or twice, this year spent a fair bir of time around there.

Tipi / camp Fire field - like the fact it was narrower and had abit of a villagey feel to it actually.

We fell in love with the festival because of the line up, but made even more so because it all felt very 'easy' for us. Lot's of peace and quiet and space for camping, but not so anymore. Atleast not in family camping, that whilst I appreciate was right by the new entrance, having it next to the loudest stage was fear from idea. It used to be very easy to get to the car etc just up the road, now you have to negoiate the rocky road, hill etc. It used to be very easy to get from stage to stage, and although not tooooo bad still now, it's not quite the same. There used to be a very very low quote of idiots, but it felt this had increased a fair bit again this year, although I'm not sure why seeing as the line-up doesn't really attract them, maybe the reputation of the festival has just spread so you get more people hearing about it and thinking they can go for a wild time. (Which of course if their right, I just prefer the quiet life at EOTR and have enjoyed late night revelry at Glasto.

As others have eluded, no stewards seemed to know family camping was also to the right of the main gate, so there was all sorts of people in and around us.

We even had someone busted for selling hash cakes in the tent next to us with our very young daughter!. The security though to be fair seemed to deal with this brilliantly.

Queues for the food stalls were still quite quick, and the bars. The increase in the market stalls made it easy to kill an hour browsing too, so that was an advantage.

Little things like the big map being added etc were nice touches.

So finally The Woods Stage - Disappointingly, even trying to hide it with some wood planks, it just felt like any other festival stage. It increased the sound bleed across the site too, when Laura Marling was playing we were stood at the back and all you could hear was the Big top, so had to move over to the left of the stage. You could also hear the Woods Stage all across the market instead of some peaceful time having a cuppa! I appreciate the need for it with the increased capacity, but I guess the ultimate thing that has changed the way I feel about the festival all revolve around the fact I just liked it more small. I go to Latitude and / or Glasto for a bigger event, and EOTR felt more like Latitude in about 2007 than it did EOTR of 2010.

Of course, noone of this matters one bit to anyone but me, as if I choose not to go in 2012 there will be 8500 - 12000 others going to enjoy themselves. Will have a long think before deciding about next year though.

I enjoyed this year... but not as much as last year. I find myself in a similar position to others in that after last year I was straight onto the website when I got home to see if I could get a ticket for this year whereas now i'm a bit, erm..... The 'young folk' weren't really a gip for me as I can sleep through most things, there seemed more stereotype 'festival types' that were more annoying with them being crazy and all, toilets are toilets whatever festival you go to, the path was a little tricky at times and I don't remember queueing too much for anything. What happened to the tobacco sellers from last year though, I would have stocked up more if I had known they were not going to be there. More to the music, I heard some bands/artists I will definately be looking more into, there were some I wouldn't normally go out of my way to see but I was very impressed by and I suppose that is why these things are so good, so thank you again EotR and I will probably see you again next year. Thinking about it, last year it felt more about the music than just 'being' at a festival...

The long and rocky road.....

Way too much to read on here, I will write my essay later, 86 people on the forum, the capacity has increased dramatically!!!! Welcome Dom I like your posts. Just gotta go and listen to my two copies of Other Lives on vinyl x

Ok, I'll start with the bad, and finish with the good :)

I think, for me, the increase in capacity was noticeable this year, with what seemed like an increase in (and for use of a better phrase!) "V Festival" types of people. There were times I was trying so desperately to listen to bands I had been looking forward to since they announced the line up, only to have groups of quite drunken people talking VERY loudly over them - very irritating. I'm only 24 myself and I like seeing people having a laugh and enjoying themselves, but I have enough respect for the people who attend it to have the decency to shut the hell up, and bugger off if I want a chat. It seemed to attract a different kind of festival goer this year... And it was very noticeable (I'm not being snobbish, but what I love about EOTR is how chilled and down to earth it is and the people who attend it... usually.)

I spoke to Simon's mum (oddly) and she was very interested to know peoples thoughts. The organisers are all VERY concious of the increase in size and what people think - they want feedback, so I imagine they'll be reading everybody's opinions on this forum...

People are saying that the Woods Stage wasn't as imaginative as perhaps the rest of the festival - sadly, you are right, but you have to understand that everyone who helps create the festival are volunteers... All the people who do the artwork, help create props for the stages etc etc are all doing it for free. Even Dan Lefkowitz was helping out (that man is a genius with a chainsaw; he made the totem pole). I understand the atmosphere isn't the same at the Woods Stage as it is in the Garden Stage, but I can only imagine with the talented team of people they have that it can only get better. I guess I have a greater respect for the festival after seeing just how much work goes into it and seeing how hard the team work.

Security was lacking at times. It only got better towards Sunday evening.. But there were some Security Guards who done an ace job, and were really friendly!

With that aside, I really did have an amazing weekend. I met some fantastic people, but I genuinely hope that they don't increase the capacity anymore.

The Tipi was better this year, I spent more time in there this year than last year. And the Big Top is as brilliant as always..

The 'Racecourse' layout was a vast improvement too :) Much easier to walk around.

Having the Woods Stage actually allowed for the Garden Stage to have a less crowded, more intimate feel to it. The Garden Stage will always be my fav :)

Music was great, as always!

The Comedy Stage and Disco were bloody ace... The Library and forest are simply beautiful. It's a shame some idiot nicked the bell from the woods last year (one of the artists done a fantastic job of recreating it using expanding foam and a bucket! Unfortunately it got a bit crushed early on during the weekend)

All in all I had a fantastic weekend. I WILL be back next year.

(end of essay!)

This was my first year going and I also went to Latitude for the first time this year. This felt like the most crowded of the two festivals in every single way from the crowds at the stages to queues at stalls, toilets, showers etc. EotR might be the smaller festival but it did feel slightly too crowded to me, though not enough to spoil the experience by any means and I'd much rather it feel this way than have it be as commercial and expensive as Latitude. The only real annoyance was having to wait around 30 minutes each morning to get a coffee no matter which stall I went to.

The road to the festival really wasn't that bad unless you've never gone for a walk outside of a city centre. I feel sorry for anyone that has trouble walking or was trying to push a trolley or something but other than that I don't really understand the complaints.

The stages were good. They felt well thought our and although I'd agree that the Woods stage feels similar to stages at any other festival I didn't really feel this was such a big deal and didn't take anything away from the other stages. My personal favourite was the Comedy stage even though I didn't see much there as it felt like the perfect setting both late at night and during the day.

There were far too many talkers in the crowd. Maybe I was just unlucky with where I stood but unless I was very close to the front there was almost always someone within earshot who would be talking through most of the set. I was also really surprised at how many people would not bother clapping at all or spent the entire act constantly looking around or starting at their phone rather than actually paying attention to the music. It's no different to any other festival really but I was expecting more based on what I'd read.

It might sound like I'm complaining a lot but actually my experience was overall really positive. I really did feel as though there was something different about this festival and it really felt like most of the artists and bands playing here honestly wanted to be there. The lineup was great and felt as though everyone was chosen based on their ability rather than because they are a name that would sell tickets. I had a great time and I'm definitely thinking of going back next year.

Only just back in York, wrecked, and have read most of this thread - Most of our thoughts that we discussed have been covered, so I'll try only to post briefly:

1) The Family Camping Thing : this was the biggest for us - you make the effort to get on site on thursday hoping to have a full and refreshed Friday only to have to repeatedly get up to inform people that they're in the Family area. I was wiped out halfway through Friday due to only having got a couple of hours sleep.

Look - posting the map the new layout well in advance, on website and with tickets would have helped hugely, as would giving the stewards at wristband exchange a big map for indicating the areas to new arrivals. And, those apparently big banners saying "family camping" disappear very quickly when people put up their tents - many small signs, either on the 'lamp posts' or stuck into the ground around the perimeter would have been much more effective. Same thing happened last year, the one positive thing to say is that this year, as last, when people were told where they were and asked to keep it down, they did.

2) Change in vibe - agree that there were many more gig-chatterers than at our previous EOTRs (2008 + 2010)- such a shame, as the level of respect for the performers was one of things I loved. Also heightened levels of rowdiness, undoubtedly.

3) Woods stage - meh. Couldn't bond with it, although agree that as stages in fields go, the slope is agreeable. Didn't spend more than an hour there over the whole festival.

We early-birded for this year's festival, having been nothing short of transported by last year's - not doing so this year, and it'll take a pretty special lineup announcement to bring us back for 2012. Might try the No Direction Home though.

Guy.

First ever festival (OK - Greenbelt in '81), had to go due to strength of line-up, and took wife and two boys of 10 and 12 to hear some good music.

We all loved it all, and particularly;

1) Some fantastic new discoveries e.g. Doug Paisley, Leisure Society, Kurt Vile and Treefight

2) Respect shown for the music - heard little talking and all the acts seem to get a good hearing, even early on

3) Decent, sensible people, including the staff and volunteers

4) No flag wavers or football shirt. NB Didn't even realise England had played till I got home

5) Very little branding or "preferred suppliers". Food was superb.

6) The Gardens themselves were gorgeous, and generally shown respect. Toilets variable but good enough.

7) Lots for children to do, though most I saw were quite young and I feared for the lad at the front of the Fall stage

8) Branches by Midlake - never fails me, Wuthering Heights by TFFL, and the whole Unthanks/Laura/Fall sets

I even got some new muscles lugging our tent to and from the site

Can't make EOTR in 2012 but will definitely book for Welbeck Abbey.

Thanks to Simon and all at EOTR

Martin

I thought the weekend was absolutely amazing and clearly my experience of the festival was very different by the sounds of some of these posts. Although, perhaps mine is tinted by the fact this was my first time at EOTR, so I had no prior expectations based on previous years.

I thought the layout was spot on. Very easy to move between stages. I loved that most are sloped which made for great viewing even if you wanted to sit/lay at the back/sides. I basically spent all of Friday afternoon basking in the sun at the Woods stage which was amazing. Yes the Woods stage isn't as intimate as the garden but for the bigger headliners it was perfect as it could hold everyone with plenty of room.

Also it was really easy to get down the front for pretty much every band I wanted to (for all the stages). There was absolutely no issue with over-crowding, which seemed to be the biggest worry for people mentioned on here before hand.

Having said all this, when it comes down to it, it's all about the music and I thought the lineup was by far and away the best of all the festivals this year. On each day there were at least 7/8 bands that I was looking forward to seeing.

I'm definitely getting some early bird tickets for 2012.

posted this on the piano stage thread but this thread seems more appropriate...

My wife and I had a final stroll around the gardens on the Monday morning, the piano stage was in a bit of a state, a picture had been smashed, the piano was pulled halfway across the stage, one of the pictures had gone, and it was generally in a pretty bad state.

It was ironic because someone we were chatting to on the saturday at the piano stage who had just seen it for the first time said if this was any other festival, this stage would be trashed in no time. I do worry that increasing the capacity means you get a larger number of pissed up w***kers (we noticed more this year) turning up who don't respect the festival's general ethos of being nice to each other and not acting like a twat.

Don't want this to sound like a rant though cos we had a great time again, and met a lot of really sound people.

OK, for me, the increased capacity wasn't so much of an issue. Yes, I preferred it when it was, supposedly, only 5000 punters, but fully agree with Simon's notes in the programme that to get the big names in the business, you've got to get the punters in to pay the pounds. And yes, as much as I love the discovery of the small and upcoming artists that the organisers put on, I also expect to see some of my very favourite artists belting out the big tunes to a large and responsive crowd.

However, as has been mentioned by others in this thread, with increased numbers, comes an increase in "wacky twats". And I'm not a fan of "wacky twats". Leave your Clanger outfit for the bedroom, eh?

I thought the Woods stage worked well. Much better than expected too. Having been to Reading and Wireless, I was very conscious of how those big outdoor stages can lose their sound in unsettled weather, but I never noticed that happening at all at EOTR.

Just a few more loos needed as far as I'm concerned. Especially as on Saturday, in a slightly "delicate" state, I seemed to require them far more than is healthy. They all seemed reasonably clean to me as well, considering the amount of people using them.

Me and the missus had a lovely weekend. Just not as lovely as the previous five times we've been. As someone posted earlier; EOTR has gone from being a wonderful festival to merely a very good one.

Question: has any organiser ever reduced capacity for the following year? I'd happily take a few less 'big' acts for a return to what we had.

Me and the missus had a lovely weekend. Just not as lovely as the previous five times we've been. As someone posted earlier; EOTR has gone from being a wonderful festival to merely a very good one.

Question: has any organiser ever reduced capacity for the following year? I'd happily take a few less 'big' acts for a return to what we had.

This was my fourth EOTR and whilst I still had a great weekend, it has clearly changed, and I don't think anybody could argue that it's in any way for the better.

I simply don't buy the 'you're getting a better music line-up line'. Presumably J-New charges an awful lot to play. If she's out of budget, fine. Don't book her. I'm sure the festival would've sold out without her - certainly at previous capacity levels. I don't think anyone has left the festival in previous years saying 'I loved how magical and special this festival was, but I wish we could've seen some bands who charge more'.

That said, I actually thought the Woods stage was alright. Nothing special, but it fitted everyone in and didn't really effect the layout of the rest of the festival.

In terms of capacity I thought the worst aspect of it was that there were no where near enough toilets within the arena. Losing that big bank of them from near the Big Top really seemed to make a difference. And the idiot quota was definately up. It was always going to happen. Anyone else get to enjoy up close the lovely bunch of drunk stag-do type cocks in the hay-bale area of the Tipi on Sunday evening jumping around and bumping into eveyone who was having a quiet drink avoiding the rain?

And that walk from the car park to the camping was awful. No-one can pretend otherwise.

I'd be very interested to know what the organisers thought of this year. Were they happy with the changes? I guess they're happy with the increased revenue. If they argue that revenue hasn't increased significantly, you have to ask the question, why bother with the changes?

I guess from the organisers' point of view, they don't want just to repeat the same formula endlessly year after year without trying to make the festival better. And they clearly see bigger as being better, partly for revenue reasons and partly, no doubt, for personal reasons. Businesses have to grow (or so the adage would have us believe) because if they don't they stagnate and then fail. And I guess the organisers don't want to stagnate. They are ambitious and determined to move the festival 'on', whatever that means. Personally, I think it's a step in the wrong direction, but I understand some of their reasons for doing it. The USPs of the EOTR were its smallness, intimacy, magical atmosphere etc and that has, to a certain extent, gone. Now that the EOTR is on a similar scale the Green Man, I think it's quite pertinent to compare the two. Anyone here went to both this year? I did and my preference is for the GM (though I have to say that EOTR 2010 was my best ever festival experience). Is the EOTR suffering from growing pains? Only for some of us lucky enough to have been in previous years. For the rest, it's a case of 'what's all the fuss about'?

Like others, I had a great weekend, but found that something was lacking, compared to other years. I didn't like the featureless behemoth of the Woods stage, although it did a good job of ensuring that the Garden Stage remained beautiful.

My first impression of the stage, from afar, was that it was a monstrosity, and when I got closer, I didn't warm to it. I saw the Growlers there and went down the front and really dug' em…………. being at the front you just see the band so the setting doesn't really matter, but you don't always want to be down the front, especially when the front is populated by moshing morons gurning at, and high fiving each other constantly. I also had a bit of an issue with a lack of discernment from people who seemed to have read "festivals for dummies" and would go apeshit for no reason. Whoop and holler if you must, but if you just whoop and holler for the sake of it, it loses its relevance!

I didn't really bother with the Woods much, saw a bit of Wily Mason, but even he had his share of tossers at the front, and I watched bits and pieces of others from afar. I have to say that just seeing the lights while listening to some of the later stuff while queuing for grub, was OK, and in the dark, all lit up, the stage looked beautiful. I didn't see everyone I had planned to see on there though, because in general, I didn't care for the ambience, which is a pity at a festival that prides itself on its ambience.

The garden stage was a delight again though, and I spent much more time than I usually do there, just chilling, and it was lovely.

I agree with those who perceived more twattish behaviour than previously, although signs of increased twattishness were evident last year too. Someone actually tried to shove me out of the way in the tipi on Friday night. I say tried, because I'm not all that easy to shove, but it was an experience I could have happily lived without. On the other hand, on the same night some drunken teen accidentally bumped into me and apologised profusely and at length. There was a lot more w*nkery and loutish behaviour about though.

The other major downside to the increase was queuing for the bogs by the main arena, and the state that people were happy to leave the bogs in. The piss corner helped in terms of queuing, but some people seemed to mistake them for can depositories. The queues for the bogs in the morning seemed longer too. There was also much less space on the camping field and a greater propensity for the generous of spirit to share their music with the rest of us at 5 a.m.

For all that moaning, there is still much that is great. Despite the capacity increase the queue for grub seemed smaller and the queues at the bar were definitely smaller. The bar at the garden stage was shit though. Away from the main arena, the bogs remained as good as you could expect to find at a festival, although there could have been a few more of them.

Despite the increased w*nkery, the vast majority of people there are fantastic, and I love 'em all. The silence during Josh T Pearson and John Grant was wonderful, and rare. I saw enough ace bands and performances to more than compensate for the minor irritations.

Just 2 last gripes, one minor, one major. I worked out a way to avoid the tomfoolery and the worst of the queuing, it was easy enough to do, it's just a pity that there is now stuff that you want to avoid, which was never the case before and did mean I missed some stuff (but saw other stuff.

My major gripe is the state of the road in, which was a nightmare, as well as the queuing for wristbands on Thursday. I commented to my mate that it was a bit ironic that we got there a day earlier and ended up parked further away than ever before and queued much longer to get in than ever before!

As for next year, I'm not sure, which I never thought I'd say.

Edited by Fat_Buddha