New Restricions on Alcohol

Guest cavey

We have just posted this: http://summersundae.com/the-alcohol-policy-explained

We sincerely apologise to any Summer Sundae fans that are upset about our decision to limit alcohol at the festival this year, and the lateness of its announcement.

We hope that the below will answer most of your questions and comments about this.

One of our main reasons for putting a restriction in place is that we are aware of growing problems at Summer Sundae with underage drinking in both the campsites and main arena. We feel it is our responsibility as event organisers to take some action on this. One option we have considered is to implement a restriction similar to many other festivals, whereby alcohol is allowed into the campsites only, and not the main arena. However, we decided that this would not sufficiently address the issue of underage drinking on the campsites. Plus with 75% of our attendees being non-campers with no access to the campsite, we realized we needed to implement a reasonable solution across the board.

Another reason revolves around the fact that, after a very successful Summer Sundae 2010 we received a number of comments about the bars, with customers calling for a return of the Orange Tree in 2011 and stressing how important it was to them to have quality reasonably priced bars on site. We have done our utmost to honour this request and have brought Orange Tree back this year with some excellent new structures and spaces, along with their usual selection of cocktails, real ales and beers. We also do our utmost every year to keep prices on all food and drink at the festival reasonable, and this includes all bars on site. Our aims to give you what you want in terms of well priced quality refreshments served in a welcoming and well designed environment simply cannot stand side by side with allowing you to bring in an unrestricted amount of alcohol on site.

It must also be remembered that the revenue made from the bars at Summer Sundae goes towards funding other parts of the festival, including The Garden and Village which again we really want to continue to provide for you. There have been a few comments posted recently which assume that we the organisers of Summer Sundae are implementing this change as some kind of ploy to make a great profit from the festival. We would like to assure you that we are not. The festival will this year as in previous years be making a loss. As many of you know we have taken over the management of the festival from Leicester City Council this year which includes a large share of the financial risk. Please rest assured that this decision is not borne from a desire to make financial profit, but from a desire to ensure that Summer Sundae, an event we care a lot about, can continue and have a successful future.

For those of you worried that you will be treated in a heavy handed manner when arriving on site, please be assured that our security and stewards will treat you in the same friendly and respectful way as they always have. There will also be an increased number of staff available at the front entrance to help and answer any questions you may have about what you can bring on site. And for those of you confused about what you are allowed to bring with you, please see below a further explanation on how the policy will work.

Lastly, we feel it is important to say that any alcohol taken into any festival or event is at the discretion of the respective organisers. As you will know many organisers deny alcohol outright, and some allow it only on the campsites. We have attempted to find a reasonable solution to solve the issues raised above and to allow us to deliver a quality event this year and beyond. We will not cut corners on the quality of entertainment and production provided at the festival. We are truly sorry if you feel that we have undermined the trust you have in an event by announcing these restrictions this late, however we do believe that we are acting for the good of the festival as a whole.

How the alcohol restriction will work:

Attendees carrying alcohol will be allowed to bring one amount into the festival. Their wristband will be marked accordingly when they bring alcohol in. That does not have to be on your first visit, it can be your 2nd or 3rd, however we are restricting that to one load per person.

Restrictions per person are as follows:

No glass is allowed. No bottles of spirits are allowed.

Weekend Ticket Holders

12 Pack cans beer/cider/bitter

OR 2 Litre wine or mixed drink in a plastic bottle.

AND Soft drinks as desired.

Day ticket holders

4 pack cans beer/cider/bitter

OR one litre of wine or mixed drink in a plastic bottle.

AND Soft drinks if desired

Rob, please clrify:

Attendees carrying alcohol will be allowed to bring one amount into the festival. Their wristband will be marked accordingly when they bring alcohol in. That does not have to be on your first visit, it can be your 2nd or 3rd, however we are restricting that to one load per person

Does that mean I can take my 12 cans into the campsite, and then take 4 of those cans into the fesival site each day?

I have to say as an ever-present at SSW I'm dismayed at the short notice given to the changes in alcohol on site. I understand that Mr Challice is under a great deal of pressure to try and balance the books but I feel this idea is a little short sighted and I don't buy the line that it's to combat under-age drinking. If that were the issue why couldn't that have been pointed out when the early bird tickets went on sale? Oh, because they didn't have a massive shortfall in ticket sales a week before gates open I guess! It would appear that increasing ticket prices/capacity has been a spectacular failure that even Mcfly couldn't amend. Does anyone remember when the Abbey Park Festival increased it's entry fee and brought in alcohol restrictions? It was dead within two years so be warned! The new restrictions are plain discriminatory to non-camping weekend ticket holders; how the hell am I supposed to carry 12 cans in with me on the Friday? Idiots.

I have to say as an ever-present at SSW I'm dismayed at the short notice given to the changes in alcohol on site. I understand that Mr Challice is under a great deal of pressure to try and balance the books but I feel this idea is a little short sighted and I don't buy the line that it's to combat under-age drinking. If that were the issue why couldn't that have been pointed out when the early bird tickets went on sale? Oh, because they didn't have a massive shortfall in ticket sales a week before gates open I guess! It would appear that increasing ticket prices/capacity has been a spectacular failure that even Mcfly couldn't amend. Does anyone remember when the Abbey Park Festival increased it's entry fee and brought in alcohol restrictions? It was dead within two years so be warned! The new restrictions are plain discriminatory to non-camping weekend ticket holders; how the hell am I supposed to carry 12 cans in with me on the Friday? Idiots.

Rob, please clrify:

Attendees carrying alcohol will be allowed to bring one amount into the festival. Their wristband will be marked accordingly when they bring alcohol in. That does not have to be on your first visit, it can be your 2nd or 3rd, however we are restricting that to one load per person

Does that mean I can take my 12 cans into the campsite, and then take 4 of those cans into the fesival site each day?

We have decided to remove the alcohol restrictions for this year. We are sorry that we announced these restrictions so late in the day.

We’d like you to enjoy the festival in the manner you had originally planned and we would now like to concentrate on delivering a great event. We look forward to seeing you this coming weekend.

Rob and the Summer Sundae Weekender festival team.