no Amy thread?

Guest eFestivals

I saw Amy a loads of festivals over the years.

The one that topped them all in my mind was at Summer Sundae. You don't know how lucky you were! :)

AmyWinehouse-NRG125.jpg

Amy Winehouse at Summer Sundae 2004.

/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1&showentry=1460">What kind of f**kery is this? - Amy Winehouse RIP

Edited by eFestivals

Neil, I remember well how much you raved about Amy's performance on that early evening and were telling everyone how much of a star she was. I was also stood towards the front for that gig and remember being unsure but generally captivated.

I remember being stood watching Amy next to a crowd of girls who were loving it. Then their fellas turned up and didn't get it at all, which led to one of the girls saying she wasn't surprised because it was 'chic music' (chic = girl). Perhaps I'm a fan of that? :lol:

Wasn't that also a Summer Sundae year which stood out for you for other reasons on the Sunday??

:lol: no, that was definitely a later year (I forget which).

Kaybee and I were lucky enough to see Amy after Back to Black had been released and was doing really well. Nottingham Rock City and it's now widely regarded as one of her last brilliant gigs. Two weeks later all sorts of frenzy had kicked off in the tabloids but on that night her and the brilliant band she had owned the stage and she seemed like the superstar she could be.

the tabloid frenzy kicked off (tho slowly) a while before that. I remember having seen a pic of her in one of the papers sometime before Bestival 2006, which was commenting about the amount of weight she'd lost (which I saw for myself at Bestival where she did a cameo with Ronson) with claims that she had an eating disorder - which it became clear later it wasn't.

I didn't get to see a good post-Back To Black performance. I can't be sure but I think I only (properly) saw her once after that was released, at Glastonbury 2007 (her Jazzworld set). It wasn't a car-crash but it was obvious that she'd lost what it was that had previously made her so special.

The last time I saw her live (probably like many festival goers) was at Glastonbury in the slot before Jay-Z on the Pyramid. We all came to see a car-crash. We got marginally better than a car-crash.

I only caught a snippet of that one, so little that it doesn't really count.

Such a sad tale of modern celebrity - but the two albums released have always seemed timeless and now will be more so.

Yep. We'll never get to know if she had a lifetime of that sort of quality to give us, or if like so many acts she really only had two decent albums in her before she'd used up her inspiration.

There's rumoured to be at least an album's worth of 'new' material recorded in the last few years which no doubt will get released at some point, but I'm not sure if that can be really counted against those first two albums as the opinion seems to have been after those recordings were made that they were generally duff because of her problems. I doubt any of it would be released if she'd not died.