Assault by security staff

Guest eoJ

Hi there, was just wondering if anyone saw this at all? If so, would you mind either posting or PMing me? It'd really help.

Basically, to explain the story, I was walking in with no bag or anything, and one of the security staff decided he was going to search me. I refused to consent, and asked to leave instead, placing my hands over my pockets to stop him continuing to try. Instead he just asked me what I had to hide, and tried reaching in my pockets. I responded with "This search is illegal, and I don't consent to it.". I was just asking for a police officer to be present when one (looked like a larger, more aggressive version of Heston Blumenthal. I think he was the security member supervising.) grabbed my arms and held them behind my back, while two other security members stuffed their hands into my pockets and started putting everything on the table. I tried to sit down, and the guy holding me wouldn't let me.

I hadn't raised my voice until he held my arms behind me, but after that I started shouting a little bit that this was illegal and I hadn't consented, to try and make sure people saw and remembered it. Another guy behind me also got searched and complained about it - I think he had problems with people touching his wallet.

I got shoved against a table, with my head touching it. I kept complaining (but still not physically resisting). Someone at one point asked how old I was, and what I'd done.

Eventually I got booted off, (with 5 security guards holding me... Seemed a bit over the top for someone who wasn't physically fighting back) and had to wait outside for 3 dull hours.

Again, if anyone saw any of this, it would really help out. I was the 17 (18 in September) year old, wearing the green hoodie, a black submariner style watch, and blue jeans.

Cheers. :)

P.S. Not saying anything about the security as a whole, they were generally really good, it's just the odd twat that thinks they're above the law (to quote him, "we're basically police officers")

Didn't see this but did think the security were overly and unnecessarily aggressive. It's a family festival after all in Surrey it's not friggin Reading or Leeds. I had my bag snatched from me, I only had a bottle of sparkling flavoured water in it, the huge security guard then opened it (you could tell it was unopened as he broke the seal), proceeded to smell it before demanding to know what it was to which I replied "Lemon and Elderflower water that you've just opened!". The twat then snatched my handbag off me, rummaged around and then shoved it back. I then skipped into the festival with a laa de daa, my vodka safe in my jacket pocket. Seriously these guys need to get a grip, they seem to get pissed on their own (un)importance. It's so irritating. Anyway, just thought i'd share my experience with you. Next time perhaps you should just smile sweetly and try to remember that these guys are just puffed up, under-paid, ignorant dick heads. Save yourself a shit load of hassle...

A lot of the security at Guilfest work doors in Woking & the other local towns & bring the same mentality to the fest. These are the wrong people to get to employ for festival security & have often never experienced a festival as a punter & therefore really don't know how to act around us fellow "crusties". But due to costs they are the cheapest & trained.

I was fortunate enough to work with one very nice security guy by the campsite entrance last year, the other was a complete dick & stole a lot of the confiscated alcohol for himself.

I can only urge you to please report the assualt to your local Police and write a letter of complaint to Scotty Events. Incidents such as this need to be reported in order that the organisers and Surrey Police gain an insight into the extent of the problem.

In common with all events of this type you do consent to a search as a condition of entry however you don't consent to be assaulted.

I have considerable experience of Security at festivals having been to Glasto,Reading,V,IOW,Guilfest etc over many years and can honestly say that the local bouncers used at Guilfest were by far the worst I have encountered for a long time. It is high time that Tony Scott used a reputable event security company.

Unfortunately I didn't witness your' incident. But I did have an issue with the Doorman who was conducting the searches when without warning or speaking to me he shoved his hand into my trouser pocket and pulled out my wallet, an act that I can only conclude was intended to initiate confrontation.

Again, I didn't see this incident, but on Sunday lunchtime I did see a child of maybe 8 years old being vigorously questioned, having his bag searched and drinks bottle tested whilst his dad was also getting searched. They seemed to think he must be being used as some sort of vodka mule (he wasn't). Poor kid looked scared stiff!

I'm not usually one to complain about security, but it was a bit over the top for what, on my first visit to GuilFest, seemed to be a generally very relaxed festival.

Hi there, was just wondering if anyone saw this at all? If so, would you mind either posting or PMing me? It'd really help.

Basically, to explain the story, I was walking in with no bag or anything, and one of the security staff decided he was going to search me. I refused to consent, and asked to leave instead, placing my hands over my pockets to stop him continuing to try. Instead he just asked me what I had to hide, and tried reaching in my pockets. I responded with "This search is illegal, and I don't consent to it.". I was just asking for a police officer to be present when one (looked like a larger, more aggressive version of Heston Blumenthal. I think he was the security member supervising.) grabbed my arms and held them behind my back, while two other security members stuffed their hands into my pockets and started putting everything on the table. I tried to sit down, and the guy holding me wouldn't let me.

I hadn't raised my voice until he held my arms behind me, but after that I started shouting a little bit that this was illegal and I hadn't consented, to try and make sure people saw and remembered it. Another guy behind me also got searched and complained about it - I think he had problems with people touching his wallet.

I got shoved against a table, with my head touching it. I kept complaining (but still not physically resisting). Someone at one point asked how old I was, and what I'd done.

Eventually I got booted off, (with 5 security guards holding me... Seemed a bit over the top for someone who wasn't physically fighting back) and had to wait outside for 3 dull hours.

Again, if anyone saw any of this, it would really help out. I was the 17 (18 in September) year old, wearing the green hoodie, a black submariner style watch, and blue jeans.

Cheers. :)

P.S. Not saying anything about the security as a whole, they were generally really good, it's just the odd twat that thinks they're above the law (to quote him, "we're basically police officers")

At a festival door supervisors have no legal or statutory powers to search any person. Under no circumstances can they forcibly search anyone. The manager or licensee of the premises can, however, make it a 'condition of entry' that people wishing to enter consent to being searched by the door team prior to being allowed in. A condition of entry simply means that customers may be allowed to enter the venue on the condition that they allow door staff to search them. If they refuse to consent to such a search, then they may be refused entry.

Permission must always be obtained from the customer prior to a search, because door supervisors have no legal powers granting authority to search any person without their express consent. Just because the ticket states that you may be searched does NOT mean that you consent to that particular search by that particular door person at that particular time. Express consent has to be given by you either verbally or in writing prior to the search taking place. In other words they should talk to you.

Searching someone without the necessary consent could result in :-

criminal proceedings for assault being taken against the door supervisor

civil action ( for compensation ) being taken out against the supervisor and/or the venue

a criminal case against a customer found to be in possession of drugs or weapons failing, if the search itself was found to be illegal because consent was not obtained.

Good practise should mean that searches be conducted in a friendly, routine way so as to reduce any feelings of embarrassment that the customer might feel, must not be discriminatory or by way of a particular door supervisor being obstructive. Searches should be carried out in a polite and courteous manner. Customers may feel intimidated or worried when being searched, others may be used to it. Door Supervisors should talk to customers as they search them, firstly to help make them feel at ease, and secondly it will give the opportunity to assess their general attitude and may show whether they have had too much to drink etc. A search should be conducted by someone of the same sex to avoid allegations of indecent assault.. There is nothing wrong with a male supervisor asking a female customer to empty the contents of her handbag and pockets onto a table so that her property can be checked, but he should not 'pat her down' or otherwise touch her to detect unauthorised items.”

• 7 months later...