Biggest/best // smallest/worst crowd

Guest Ddiamondd

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

We saw Royal Blood in the JPT in 2014 who had a monster crowd. We got there earlier yo see who was on and watched Hozier, who wasnt anything special. The crowd was tiny.  I remember thinking, he's inoffensive, but I wont hear of him again.

Then last year I was walking past the Pyramid & he was on there. Some turnaround that one.

I was on the barrier for that Royal Blood set. The crowd was HUGE!

7 hours ago, Andeeroo said:

Savages in the JP tent in 2013 fell victim to clashing with the Stones. I left halfway through to go and get a spot in the Pyramid field and have never felt more guilty for leaving a set so early. They could definitely see me making the long trudge out of the tent.

We were at everything everything after Savages and that was pretty quiet 

9 hours ago, lighthouse said:

2008. Bit weird year for The National. They were slowly getting bigger by then, with the moderate succes of Boxer. 

They just must be one of them bands that never get the kinda crowds they deserve.The crowd at the Pyramid Stage when they subbed in 2017 ? was pretty small as well.

37 minutes ago, Field of Avalon said:

They just must be one of them bands that never get the kinda crowds they deserve.The crowd at the Pyramid Stage when they subbed in 2017 ? was pretty small as well.

Every time I’ve seen them they played for a big crowd/packed venue. They’re a big band nowadays, draw lots of devoted fans.

I think they’re at a place many ‘indie style’ bands can only dream of. They’re also pretty big at each side of the ocean, which isn’t a given.

Edited by lighthouse

22 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Remember watching Adam Cohen early on the Other one morning and being able to walk on to the barrier.

You were probably stood next to me then!  It was a pitifully small crowd. 

12 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Sometimes small crowds can be the best, especially when everyone wants to be there.

Can certainly be the case.  Saw The Allergies at Guildford's short-lived Always The Sun festival, doing a live set to no more than 30 people tops. But they had absolutely everyone dancing, and I mean properly dancing, not just swaying in time.  And there's something about seeing a crowd that small properly going for it that can lift the whole thing.

17 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Sometimes small crowds can be the best, especially when everyone wants to be there.

Bleachers the other year in the JP had a tiny crowd but Jack Antonoff was just happy to be there. His enthusiasm was infectious.

I think that’s part of the reason Mik Artistik is so popular he always makes you feel part of his act. I’ve seen him play in small venues around Leeds and even been on a pub crawl gig with him. Definitely prefer the smaller gigs over the larger ones he’s done. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I think that’s part of the reason Mik Artistik is so popular he always makes you feel part of his act. I’ve seen him play in small venues around Leeds and even been on a pub crawl gig with him. Definitely prefer the smaller gigs over the larger ones he’s done. 

What amazes me with Mik is that he's just as (if not more) on form when he's being watched by about 20 people as he is when he's got the packed Croissant Neuf Bandstand gig on the Wednesday.  

Saw him at BDs with tiny tiny crowd, and I was one of the only people that had seen him before.  The reaction to him accusing a toddler of being an unthinking tool of the extreme left and then chasing after two blokes who wandered off to watch something else and dragging them back with him were particular highlights :D

On 6/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, Copperface said:

Not Glastonbury but ......

I was there...Tiny crowd. Actually felt a bit embarrassed at the beginning due to the thinness of the crowd but the band blasted it.

doc2.jpg

I was at T in the park that year and remember walking by as they clashed with the red hot chillies and there wasnt a space left in the field for them the crowd was to me surprisingly very very small for LCD but not as bad as the photo 

Yeah, that's probably extreme and it was the edges but this probably shows it a bit better. Probably 200-300 people there, about 15-20 deep right at the centre of the stage although my estimating ability is crap. Most of the neds were at RHCP or in the Slam tents so only the afficionados were at LCD.

441.jpg

23 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Young Fathers Other stage slot in 2015 is probably the smallest crowd I've experienced at Glastonbury. 

I remember being annoyed that I had to miss them that year, but now looking at the clashfinder there was seemingly fuck all on at the same time so I’ve no idea where I was.

Edited by FloorFiller

There were maybe a hundred of us there at Tank and the Bangas at Pussy Parlour last year. It all started after 2am on a 1:30am advertised start time. The frustration at the late start  was very minimal in the end. They were exceptionally good.

The smallest, best crowd, for the biggest minor band. Hope that qualifies here.

No footage exists of that Glastonbury gig AFAIK,

You get the idea here though....

64644340_1299578763533055_47100849561293

13 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

I'd say Pulp probably pipped it, notoriously locked off for even Kate Moss.

Aye Pulp crowd was insane. We were sat on the hill as we couldn’t get any closer and even that was packed out.