Biggest/best // smallest/worst crowd

Guest Ddiamondd

41 minutes ago, chris_nre said:

Rag n Bone Man at 11am on Sunday morning 2015 at the Park Stage. Tipping down with rain and probably  no more than 100 people there. He was really good by the way.

Goodness me he more than made up for it on the Other Stage a few years later. Made the mistake of going to my tent when he was on and omg the field was rammed and people were watching from in between tents in Oxylers. Not a fan but must have been such a moment for him

10 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Anyway, to answer teen me’s question:

Just wait for Sunday evening on the Other in 2017. Emile Sandé and Boy Better Know will blow your mind with their 30% or less field-filling prowess.

From what I heard BBK got more people in. Same with Justice, but when we walked past BBK as they came on - there wasnt 500 there. 

A mate at Justice said the crowd wasnt big, but got bigger as the set went on.

Seemingly 110,000 or so were at sheersn & maybe 20,000 got bored & left. Still leaving him with a massive crowd, but other areas filled up.

Janelle Monae's crowd was criminally small lsst year. There was enough to create a good atmosphere, but she was mega. It should hsve been enormous.

13 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I was camped around there that year and hared it back and forth before heading to the SE Corner so I got a view from the back and sides.

Might have caught them in the first 10m and before it filled up more, but it didn’t touch the sound desk. LCD stretched past the desk at least. (Not sure how C&TQ did but I presume past the desk too?)

Not a disaster for BBK but def a surprisingly poor showing. Clashing with Kano on the Park and Sheeran on Pyramid presumably split the diehards/any new grime converts and ate into their crowd.

Ah I was referring to LCD. I haven’t much idea on BBK other than I walked through the Other Stage field twenty minutes before their set and it was pretty empty. Kano still on at that point as you say.

44 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ah I was referring to LCD. I haven’t much idea on BBK other than I walked through the Other Stage field twenty minutes before their set and it was pretty empty. Kano still on at that point as you say.

They were playing Ghost Town over the PA about 10 mins before BBK came on. Managed to walk to about 3 rows from the front with no bother.  LCD was packed by comparison! We were just in front of the sound stage to the left and it felt busy...

3 minutes ago, ogriff said:

They were playing Ghost Town over the PA about 10 mins before BBK came on. Managed to walk to about 3 rows from the front with no bother.  LCD was packed by comparison! We were just in front of the sound stage to the left and it felt busy...

BBK two mins before start - it was about half way to the mixing desk. 

unnamed-6.jpg

We saw Royal Blood in the JPT in 2014 who had a monster crowd. We got there earlier yo see who was on and watched Hozier, who wasnt anything special. The crowd was tiny.  I remember thinking, he's inoffensive, but I wont hear of him again.

Then last year I was walking past the Pyramid & he was on there. Some turnaround that one.

34 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

BBK two mins before start - it was about half way to the mixing desk. 

unnamed-6.jpg

Ouch!  

It got noticeably busier once what felt like all of Kano's Park crowd (including a couple mates) arrived, but still...

North Mississippi Allstars in the Avalon Tent (I think). While Dolly was doing her legend thing.

Turin Brakes also in Avalon. While Adele was doing her headline thing.

A lot of dancing room...

Worst crowd was definitely Blur in '09. I saw a guy piss all over the girl standing in front of him.

Best crowd, probably Coldplay in '16. It was such a mix of ages and before the show everyone was so excited. I had brought a tube of glow bracelets with me, and handed them out to people around me, and even though everyone already had the coldplay electronic ones, they were all so pleased and excited to get this piece of poundland landfill.

Savages in the JP tent in 2013 fell victim to clashing with the Stones. I left halfway through to go and get a spot in the Pyramid field and have never felt more guilty for leaving a set so early. They could definitely see me making the long trudge out of the tent.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There are exceptions, but most opening acts on stages other than the Pyramid and the Friday Other Opener are like graveyards.

Agreed.

Saw Bombay Bicycle Club open The Park in 2008.

About 30 people there. 

39 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

North Mississippi Allstars in the Avalon Tent (I think). While Dolly was doing her legend thing.

Yep, it was Avalon. The crowd got bigger as it went on but plenty of room for them all to march through the front of it, playing drums as they went.

One of them commented on Twitter over this weekend that it was brutal.

I didn't go but seem to remember Duane Eddy got a really small crowd in 2011, another Legend clash I think.

When Adele was on, me & my mate watched someone djing old rave. The mixing was bad, half the vinyls skipped, but the tunes were top. There was only 6 of us there. When he finished, he jumped over the barrier, hugged everyone & shouted "Ive played Glastonbury!"

Should have had him on the Pyramid instead of Coldplay.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 3