Biggest/best // smallest/worst crowd

Guest Ddiamondd

I think The Cure was the smallest headliner I have ever seen on the Pyramid. I was on the right hand side and could easily walk through gaps to go to the toilet and back. I assume this means Christine and the Queens, and The Streets had massive crowds? 

In 2017 Alt-J had an absolutely tiny crowd as the Other stage headliners up against the Foo Fighters/ The Jacksons. 

Edited by kemosabe

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

This theory isn't supported by the previous post.

The Beautiful South, Kaiser Chiefs, Soft Cell, Pigeon Detectives, Cribs, Dead or Alive, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, The Beatles, Happy Mondays, Joy Division, New Order, Oasis, The Courteeners, The Hollies, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Whitesnake. Dire Straits, The Animals, Inspiral Carpets, Arctic Monkeys, Bring Me the Horizon, Def Leppard, Pulp, The Human League, The Verve and the mighty Chumbawumba will disagree. 😁

• Like 2

Just now, kemosabe said:

I think The Who was the smallest headliner I have ever seen on the Pyramid. I was on the right hand side and could easily walk through gaps to go to the toilet and back. I assume this means Christine and the Queens, and The Streets had massive crowds? 

In 2017 Alt-J had an absolutely tiny crowd as the Other stage headliners up against the Foo Fighters/ The Jacksons. 

Do you mean The Cure? 

Because The Who played last played in 2015 and CATQs and The Streets didn’t play then. 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Do you mean The Cure? 

Because The Who played last played in 2015 and CATQs and The Streets didn’t play then. 

Fk, yes edited now!! The Who had a fairly big crowd from what I remember, and they were up against Chems as well! 

Shout out to the couple in the big ground who decided the best time to pack up and leave via the path on the right of the Pyramid field was 5 minutes before Kylie came on.

One of the greatest scenes ever. The biggest crowd in the history of the festival and they're trying to walk half a mile through it with two huge ruck sacks and a trolley.

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

I think The Cure was the smallest headliner I have ever seen on the Pyramid. I was on the right hand side and could easily walk through gaps to go to the toilet and back. I assume this means Christine and the Queens, and The Streets had massive crowds? 

I watched Christine and the Queens last year and the crowd wasn’t the biggest. Plenty of space on the left-hand side.

22 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I watched Christine and the Queens last year and the crowd wasn’t the biggest. Plenty of space on the left-hand side.

I love Christine but I was quite surprised they were given that slot. Surely a bump up due to the prodigy?

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I love Christine but I was quite surprised they were given that slot. Surely a bump up due to the prodigy?

I think chess were due to headline on Sunday, they got moved to the Saturday, CATQ and Dave Moved up with Billie slotting in (think she was due on the JPT originally)

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

I was at The Streets and it was packed out. Tent was rammed and hundreds of people in the field behind.

Stones at the Pyramid, followed by Adele. We must have spent more than an hour walking penguin style to leave the Stones.

Liam at the Other.

London Grammar at JP (2017) although that might have been because of The Killers before them.

Edited by Calvin Klein

Those t in the park crowds are awful. Theres another picture at John Grant the same year with  hardly alone there, utterly depressing. Where were everyone? Really sad to see, especially with LCD after how good their set was that year at Glasto. Weird stuff

1 hour ago, Calvin Klein said:

Stones at the Pyramid, followed by Adele. We must have spent more than an hour walking penguin style to leave the Stones.

Liam at the Other.

London Grammar at JP (2017) although that might have been because of The Killers before them.

LG were fantastic that set as well. I know the lead singer suffers with anxiety and stage fright, but I think they’d be fantastic on a bigger stage. 

I haven't been since this thread was started, but will always vividly recall watching The National headline the JP tent in 2008 to absolute max 200 people. However, in good company as I stood next to and chatted with Guy Garvey for it

The answer will be a resounding no... but did anyone else go to see panic at the disco headline the other stage? Tumbleweeds but I enjoyed it

actually just watched on you tube and more people than I thought. 

Edited by Luigi

50 minutes ago, robith said:

I haven't been since this thread was started, but will always vividly recall watching The National headline the JP tent in 2008 to absolute max 200 people. However, in good company as I stood next to and chatted with Guy Garvey for it

I saw Elbow in the Queens Head when Guy told everyone to go and see them. Didn’t he walk over with the crowd like the pied piper of sad indie rock?

Big error to see The Verve (?) that night. You could tell how much the rest of the band hated Ashcroft.

3 hours ago, robith said:

I had to check. Seems more than 200 tbh.

slowthai last year. Check it out in iPlayer. One of the best crowds I've witnessed. So glad I didn't get as close as I'd intended to. I'm too old for kind of malarkey these days.

Didn't get or even like the music really, but that crowd. You're not supposed to do that at West Holts. Maybe one to re-watch with the subtitles on.

I have walked past the BBC introducing stage a few times when it first started up, especially when it was outdoors up in the park I think, and there was noone there at all first thing. I used to love and go and see who was playing and give them a crowd, they use fto appreciate the effort, they were playing just for me and my mate! Honoured I was

20 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

(Thinking about it, surely LCD did better numbers than BBK?)

Crowd went back to the sound desk I think. I was too far forward to know but I’m pretty sure I read as much on here. Maybe under average for a headliner but I wouldn’t say that it is notably bad.

Rag n Bone Man at 11am on Sunday morning 2015 at the Park Stage. Tipping down with rain and probably  no more than 100 people there. He was really good by the way.

Edited by chris_nre

9 hours ago, The Nal said:

Smallest crowd I've seen was Patty Griffin in the Acoustic 2016. 30 odd people there while there was rather bizarrely about 70k at ELO. 

I was one of those 30 people. Lovely gig but surprisingly small crowd indeed.