Biggest/best // smallest/worst crowd

Guest Ddiamondd

Disappointed that there hasn’t been a single mention of Craig David’s gargantuan crowd yet...

I wasn’t there to see him but I did get caught up in Rag’n’Bone Man’s crowd on the Other back in 2017. It was all the way back up to, and on, the railway track. Made getting around it might on impossible.

Edited by Hugh Jass

45 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Not Glastonbury but ......

I was there...Tiny crowd. Actually felt a bit embarrassed at the beginning due to the thinness of the crowd but the band blasted it.

doc2.jpg

This is a visual trick, right? I've watched this performance and, while small, it wasn't one-deep on the barrier was it? :lol:

Edited by dentalplan

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Disappointed that there hasn’t been a single mention of Craig David’s gargantuan crowd yet...

I wasn’t there to see him but I did get caught up in Rag’n’Bone Man’s crowd on the Other back in 2017. It was all the way back up to, and on, the railway track. Made getting around it might on impossible.

Rag ‘N’ Bone Man’s crowd was ridiculous. I was up front for Dropkick Murphys just before him. Was in desperate need of the loo by their final song. Turned around and an ocean of people had appeared behind me. Was dangerously close to an accident trying to fight my way out to the nearest urinals

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This is a visual trick, right? I've watched this performance and, while small, it wasn't one-deep on the barrier was it? :lol:

I was there, it’s not the most flattering of photos and it did fill up a bit as it went on...but yeah it was pretty poorly attended.

I always thought Katy Perry’s crowd was weirdly small. Can someone help me out with this because I’m not sure if I’m misremembering. I was just expecting the pyramid to be packed for her.

The biggest crowds I can remember are The Rolling Stones and Adele. I think it’s a safe bet that these two artists are probably tied for the largest headliner crowds in recent history. Legend slot is a different beast, but I imagine Dolly and Kylie are probably tied for that regard.

I remember turning around during the Rolling Stones and as far as I could see there were heads.

Some weird one - The Sunday 2017 I had this feeling that there was way more people on site than usual. I remember the crowds on that day felt unexpectedly big. I walked past Chic and Biffy Clyro and the crowd felt astronomically massive.

LCD just really weren't a good fit for T in the Park. They do sell a decent amount of tickets up here, sold out two nights at the Barrowlands and then did two nights at SWG3 Galvanisers Yard the following summer which is about 12k tickets overall, but going by those pictures you could have fit that full crowd into one night in the Barrowlands. 

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I always thought Katy Perry’s crowd was weirdly small. Can someone help me out with this because I’m not sure if I’m misremembering. I was just expecting the pyramid to be packed for her.

She was up against Liam Gallagher who had a massive crowd and his first solo shows were probably a bigger draw than Katy Perry on a fairly forgettable album. 

42 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

but going by those pictures you could have fit that full crowd into one night in the Barrowlands. 

And the taxi home.

It is actually kind of admirable that TITP kept affording slots like that to acts with critical acclaim and strong fanbases outside of its clientele.

The 2015 run of Sigma > Gorgon City > Afrojack > The War on Drugs > David Guetta was remarkably permissive too.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

The biggest crowds I can remember are The Rolling Stones and Adele. I think it’s a safe bet that these two artists are probably tied for the largest headliner crowds in recent history. Legend slot is a different beast, but I imagine Dolly and Kylie are probably tied for that regard.

I remember turning around during the Rolling Stones and as far as I could see there were heads.

Some weird one - The Sunday 2017 I had this feeling that there was way more people on site than usual. I remember the crowds on that day felt unexpectedly big. I walked past Chic and Biffy Clyro and the crowd felt astronomically massive.

Didn’t they extend the field for the Stones? Seem to remember they closed one fo the camping areas that year specifically. 

Definitely the biggest crowd I’ve experienced at Glasto. Kylie’s was rammed at the edges but my mates said they had enough space around them  (we just couldn’t get there!) 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think K-Pez clashed with a secret set by Liam Gallagher on the Other Stage 

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

She was up against Liam Gallagher who had a massive crowd and his first solo shows were probably a bigger draw than Katy Perry on a fairly forgettable album. 

Good point. I was surprised though. I thought she would do a pretty great job at pulling in a massive crowd regardless as she’s pretty much a pop staple.

Just goes to show how popular artists like Liam Gallagher actually are!

I saw an act playing on the Gully to two people once, but as far as big stages go, in the JP there was some American band called Bleachers? Breakers? something like that. I popped my head in while I was wandering around the site and there can't have been many more than 50 people in there. They were quite high up the order too IIRC.

Kylie’s was crazy. We fucked up and spent too long at WH after Jeff Goldblum, people were pressed up against the food fans at the left side of the pyramid. It was a slow ridiculous shuffle trying to get up to the top where it got no better. We ended up walking up and through the camping, watched her from up there, then endured the same thing back down the right hand side.

Edit: Also saw one of the oddest things I’ve seen (well to me anyway) trying to squeeze through the crowd. A guy had a webcam and he was holding it just above his head, so maybe about a foot above his actual eyes, and then watching Kylie on an iPad.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I was at Liam, but I was able to get to near the front of the Pyramid for The National with absolutely no problem at all. 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think K-Pez clashed with a secret set by Liam Gallagher on the Other Stage 

It was a combination of Katy Perry & Corbyn on the Pyramid vs the Kaiser Chiefs and Liam G on the Other. 

As a northerner and Leeds fan I had to be at the Other for that. 

25 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Kylie’s was crazy. We fucked up and spent too long at WH after Jeff Goldblum, people were pressed up against the food fans at the left side of the pyramid. It was a slow ridiculous shuffle trying to get up to the top where it got no better. We ended up walking up and through the camping, watched her from up there, then endured the same thing back down the right hand side.

Edit: Also saw one of the oddest things I’ve seen (well to me anyway) trying to squeeze through the crowd. A guy had a webcam and he was holding it just above his head, so maybe about a foot above his actual eyes, and then watching Kylie on an iPad.

People are strange.

I once went to a footy match and a kid in front of me was watching the game on his iPad.