2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

To those arguing for Arcade Fire as headliners, I have to express my doubts.

Whilst far from perfect, a good way to judge the size of an act worldwide is check how many facebook fans they have. (Taking into account that contemporary acts will have more fans using facebook than older acts).

Arcade Fire have just over 1 million facebook fans.

Contrast that with, say, Arctic Monkeys, who have 3 million, and they aren't even big in the States, unlike Arcade Fire.

Major American indie/rock/alternative acts:

The Killers: 7.2million

Black Keys: 2.5 million

Kings of Leon a very depressing 10.8 million

my point being that despite being a contemporary American act, usually quite good for facebook 'likes' they still lag way behind even The Black Keys, who no one see's as a headliner.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the facebook likes/glasto headline worthiness, is a fine model. Beiber has 46 million likes on facebook and everyone knows he would be the greatest headliner of all time. To be honest, once he hits 100mil we should just make him president of the world. I for one, can't wait

Whilst far from perfect, a good way to judge the size of an act worldwide is check how many facebook fans they have. (Taking into account that contemporary acts will have more fans using facebook than older acts).

Contrast that with, say, Arctic Monkeys, who have 3 million, and they aren't even big in the States, unlike Arcade Fire.

my point being that despite being a contemporary American act, usually quite good for facebook 'likes' they still lag way behind even The Black Keys, who no one see's as a headliner.

Edited by dirty_dog

I can see FATM trying to build on their success of their #1 single from a couple of weeks ago and turn out an album full of songs which have a 'Calvin Harris beat' on them, which I wouldn't like to see happen because contrary to popular opinion, I don't think some of the album tracks on the last album were that bad at all!

I can also see her pushing for headlining spots after a year off, I really doubt Glasto would happen though

Basement Jaxx and Gorillaz were fill ins for Kylie and U2, both of which are bigger than Daft Punk. KOL was a gamble that worked, Skunk Anansie a gamble that didn't.

Daft Punk bigger than Jay-Z? Come on. As for The Verve, Urban Hymns alone has comfortably outsold Daft Punks entire back catalogue.

Again I emphasise, if DP are at Glastonbury next year I'm there, but there's some serious over-estimation of their size going on. I don't see why it has to be the Pyramid.

Which is obviously wrong, according to mr eFests law of facebook, which I am happy to stand by as a scientific fact on par with evolution, the big bang and that crater in mexico being proof of how the dinosaurs disappeared.

U2 should have roughly the same number of likes as justin bieber, or satan, or that bloody meerkat thing which, even though I don't have telly I somehow still know about.

On a headliner note. I think we should also prepare ourselves for disappointment. Take note of how many times Coldplay have headlined since 2002, subtract the number of fallow years and add the fact that Muse have a new album out. It could be Muse for one of the nights.

Things could go badly, somewhere in the mystic corridors of glastonbury hq there is a whiteboard with a list of potential headliners for each night, with those they cannot get crossed out and somewhere on that list, if things go really badly and everyone says no, will be Muse.

Official interview with MB at Reading when said Michael thinks he can get them for Glasto, MB said I think he's wrong before ruling them out of R&L himself.

The could be IOW exclusive next year. Anyone reckon they could do own shows like KOL did the other year? I think Fleetwood will be IOW/HRC and Green Day with do the Foo's share with T set.

Ah okay, cheers!

Seems like they must be an IOW exclusive with their own shows that summer. They've done plenty of festivals this year so makes sense.

Really throws me then as to who the headliners will be. I thought the Stone Roses were nailed on! Can't see Rolling Stones doing it, likewise Radiohead.

Ah okay, cheers!

Seems like they must be an IOW exclusive with their own shows that summer. They've done plenty of festivals this year so makes sense.

Really throws me then as to who the headliners will be. I thought the Stone Roses were nailed on! Can't see Rolling Stones doing it, likewise Radiohead.

The reason I think Radiohead are unlikely is that they're touring The King Of Limbs at the moment, which didn't go down very well with the audience on the Park Stage, let alone on the Pyramid. I'd love them to do it, but I think they may be put off at how it was recieved last year.

The Who and Arctic Monkeys are good shouts too, though AM depends on whether they have a new album out by then in my opinion.

The reason I think Radiohead are unlikely is that they're touring The King Of Limbs at the moment, which didn't go down very well with the audience on the Park Stage, let alone on the Pyramid. I'd love them to do it, but I think they may be put off at how it was recieved last year.

The Who and Arctic Monkeys are good shouts too, though AM depends on whether they have a new album out by then in my opinion.

I know they're not the band to play loads of old material and compromise, but they finish touring that album this year, so could drop quite a bit of it for a Pyramid setlist. I think they seem the most likely out of the touted names if Stone Roses are being ruled out and I guess it just seems right 10 years after their last headline set at Glasto.