2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

Anyhow, anyone - has The Rolling Stones officially coming out and saying that they're not playing Glastonbury a few months ago, made them quite likely now then? Have I missed something?

there's little point taking much notice of any Stones official statements that are denials of doing something - they're one of those bands that feel it's worth telling porkies at times.

On top of that, the statement said merely "Every year the @RollingStones are asked to play this UK festival..but playing Glastonbury is not in our plans.".

Firstly, that confirms for the first time that Glasto have been actively trying to get them - which in itself is new info.

And secondly, it would only be in their plans if they have a firm plan for their tour - and they probably don't just yet.

I suspect it's currently an offer they've had, which they're considering putting into their touring plans, if it fits around other shows that also might be planned.

It's probably the case that they felt the need to make a statement more because the stories around this were suggesting that a show at Glasto would be their very last - when I very much doubt that'll be the case. If it is to be their last tour, then i'd put money on a show in Hyde Park after any show at Glasto, and quite possibly other shows elsewhere too.

I wouldn't put money on them playing just yet, but neither would I put money on them not playing. I reckon it's something that's still to be decided.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm usually the first person to pick holes in a "I have a friend in the industry who heard blah blah blah" comments but...well here goes...

My buddy was backstage crew at a European festival and he was talking to a couple of musica industry fellows who seemed to think Fleetwood Mac would be at Glasto. Obviously I'm not stupid and took it with big pinch of salt as they could simply be speculating or regurgitating rumors that they've heard on the internet... but anyway, it is what it is.

I can't remember the last time I watched The Strokes at a festival and thought they were good. Probably around 2004. Most the time it just seems half arsed from them like they can't actually be bothered.

To balance it out , a couple of years ago I saw them at Dingwalls and they was brilliant, mind it was one of their first shows back and the venue was tiny.

But they have looked pretty shite on tv coverage the last few fests they been shown at all...just one of those bands that pretty good on record but just can't seem to do it live (anymore? no idea if they was any good first time around)

Had been beyond awesome, watched them live for the first time last tour. In Sweden the two largest newspapers gave the show 5/5 (the only concert so far 2012), whereas one of the journalist admitted he was wrong for calling them the "most boring band in the world".

According to some guy at Tenclub (PJ official forum), Glasto bookers have been after them previously, but they turned it down.

Headlining either day, or subbing Stones had been fantastic.

My new thought for a act to headline on the other stage is Slash. He's played Pyramid before and clearly got a good reception and that was when the england game was on. Against The Rolling Stones should they play would be would ideal crowd wise but probs more going to be GaGa or someone. Stones would be too much same-ish as in rock/classic clash I would guess.

My new thought for a act to headline on the other stage is Slash. He's played Pyramid before and clearly got a good reception and that was when the england game was on. Against The Rolling Stones should they play would be would ideal crowd wise but probs more going to be GaGa or someone. Stones would be too much same-ish as in rock/classic clash I would guess.

Yeah his decent enough solo, but I don't really can't see him headlining the other stage....if he didn't last time...I doubt he ever will now, I just can't see him getting any bigger then he already is (Unless miracles happen and he reunites in a proper original Guns N Roses to headline the pyramid ofc :P). Are Velvet Revolver not meant to be getting back together in the next year or two anyway?

New album since then, and I'm not sure it'd be the fact that he's 'done nothing' that'd determine whether he played the fest or not anyway. He's playing Brixton Academy-sized gigs later this year, so I still think he'd go down well somewhere on the bill, possibly higher on the Other Stage.

Unless of course you meant as headliner with this being the headliners thread, in which case I agree Slash probably won't headline Glastonbury...