The days/stages/times thread

Guest Infinite Jest

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit peeved is putting it mildly ! What are we supposed to do - retire to our tents with our earplugs and our knitting ? Go home early ? And just supposing that the "headliner" had been someone it was likely the majority would want to see, rather than a performer with comparatively minority appeal... where can this mysterious Woods Stage possibly be if its surroundings would accommodate the majority of the rumoured 8,500 attendees ? I suspect that if it had been a more popular act, there would have been at least one other scheduled against it in order to relieve the pressure of numbers, but as it is, with a choice between JN or nothing, it will artificially bump up her audience.

for everyone complaining about the joanna newsom slot at the end of the festival, bear in mind that every night ends with one band playing on their own. joanna's starting half an hour early and you don't like the headliner - it's annoying but it's not like it's without precedent. there's always the after hours action in the tipi!

for my part, i'm absolutely loving this lineup barely 2 hours a day when there's not someone i have to see and no time at all when there isn't someone worth watching. sad about okkervil rive/mogwai and josh t pearson/wild nothing clashes, but i think i've got off lightly all told.

EDIT: also, thanks to the people who've put together the clashfinders. invaluable as always.

EDIT: and to the person who described joanne newsom as having 'comparitively minority appeal', can you clarify in comparison to who? joanna has sold out the rfh two nights in a row which i'd argue makes her at least as popular as mogwai and well in front of beirut. if anything, the fact that she's not scheduled against anyone is to prevent the other act's crowd from being seriously diminished.

Edited by asita

Thanks for the Clashfinders, very useful and I'm really happy with the times so far. Acts I want to see seem to be spread out quite evenly and there are only a few clashes, none of which bother me all that much.

I'm also not sure why people are so upset over Joanna Newsom, all the other days finish with just one person playing as well, there's only really a 30 minute difference here. Theres exactly the same difference in when bands start playing that day (12:45pm on the Sunday but 12:15pm every other day) and no-one has even mentioned that.

for everyone complaining about the joanna newsom slot at the end of the festival, bear in mind that every night ends with one band playing on their own. joanna's starting half an hour early and you don't like the headliner - it's annoying but it's not like it's without precedent. there's always the after hours action in the tipi!

Edited by Better Late...

Just had a very quick look ...... my first thoughts ...

Can't believe the Garden Stage is now the 2nd stage, with headliners on Woods Stage ....doesn't seem right somehow - the GS *IS* EOTR !

Gutted that The Growlers are on so early on Friday ...if ever a band was made for late night in a tent its those Californian tea smokers B)

EDIT: and to the person who described joanne newsom as having 'comparitively minority appeal', can you clarify in comparison to who? joanna has sold out the rfh two nights in a row which i'd argue makes her at least as popular as mogwai and well in front of beirut. if anything, the fact that she's not scheduled against anyone is to prevent the other act's crowd from being seriously diminished.

True to an extent, but unless I read the clashfinders wrongly, there is only a short stint in each case where one band is playing alone - the times overlap till the last half hour or so at most on the other nights, giving a choice which is denied us on the last night. And yes, there is the after hours stuff which may or may not be to one's taste as it varies greatly (and rightly so) but that still leaves the best part of two hours as an "empty slot" on the last night for people who don't like JN. I may give her the benefit of the doubt and go, and I may be pleasantly surprised: it's just that I'm not hopeful, and childish though it may be, I'd have liked to be looking forward to what is, I presume, intended to be the high point of the festival, not feeling half-hearted and a bit fed up about it. I shan't complain if I'm proved wrong !

Edited by Thowky

You are reading it wrong. On Friday and Saturday bands finish at 11pm and there is one artist/band on afterwards which runs to 12:15am. On Sunday bands finish at 10:15/10:30pm (30 minutes earlier) and there is one artist (Joanna Newsom) on afterwards which runs to 12:00am. It's really not that different, I'm not sure where you are getting the 2 hours from.

Wow not one clash that I can't live with! :D All the people I really want to see are up against people I know will be popular but I'm not bothered about. I don't think this has ever happened before!

Bit peeved about the Sunday night though... Joanna Newsom or ummm....Joanna Newsom. Guess it'll be an early night or a wander in the woods then. A potentially disappointing end to the festival for me and a few others it seems :(

2010 was the first time the festival had "started" on the Thursday, and this was announced as just a convenience for campers to get set up in advance. The fact that bands played was a surprise and not announced in advance. I imagine it's the same idea this year.

I didn't think they announced "slots" for the late night Tipi stuff as it's unofficial?

The one thing that really worries me is how much the weather is going to be a factor this year with two big outdoor stages. I really hope it's not rubbish weather! For example, on Friday I reckon I'll be outside all day except for Sam Amidon and Health. Better invest in a good poncho!

Edited by ElGanzo

yes, mark/isobel, willie & darren were announced rather last minutish. meursault and allo darlin had been in the basic lineup, which caused some discussion, since bands were announced for a festival that was officially starting on friday, but played on thursday. so I guess, they learned from this.

but wait a minute, the WOODS are not playing the WOODS stage? where ist the love for details? also, I just discovered my first clash... (TT & dan mangan, oh well..)

I have to say, 10.15/10.30pm is a very early finish for the Sunday for th Garden stage/Big Top when Joanna Newsom is on til midnight. Maybe it's contractual that because it's the Sunday headline slot no one else can be playing when she's on? I like SOME of JN's stuff but i have to say if there was someone else playing at the same time i'd probably go see them instead. (Still looking for a ticket by the way, HELP!)

Still nothing other than the original swear words from Ben, I am getting worried. I was imagining him rollerblading between sets, but strangly I dreamt that he was examining the contents of my freezer last night. That must be a freudian reference to the "in depth" 7am post mortems on certain bands performances.

It looks like the stages must be miles apart, or Mogwai are going to drown OR out! I think that especially on the sunday there are some big gaps between bands, too big in fact to just sit and wait for the next act?

Re Newsome, yes I can see White Denim are also on thier own and Zola Jesus. I am sure that healthy debate and expression of disappointment is a good thing. What I love is that people have an opinion and there are no "holy cows". Not sure if her solo slot means that you will get loads of people talking thru her set or not? I doubt it will be as quiet as Shoebox hopes.But then again maybe there will be lots of people going home early? Or drinking in the woods?