Morrissey

Charley333

12 hours ago, The Nal said:

Who are the For Britain lot? 

That's one of the parties you go to when you're too much of a bigot even for the current incarnation of kippers.  

https://www.hopenothate.org.uk/research/investigations/undercover-inside-britains-far-right/for-britain/ 

Edited by clarkete

Maybe I'm being daft and/or showing my age here, but why is 'Panic' a racist song?

Comes across to me as a track bemoaning the simplicity and lack of soul of 'modern' music (despite being written in the 80's). I wasn't even alive then though so maybe I don't understand some connotations.

21 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Maybe I'm being daft and/or showing my age here, but why is 'Panic' a racist song?

Comes across to me as a track bemoaning the simplicity and lack of soul of 'modern' music (despite being written in the 80's). I wasn't even alive then though so maybe I don't understand some connotations.

I'd say that given Morrissey's, let's say, questionable opinions of black artists and predominately black genres stretching back right to his Smiths days, and all the fear of cultural erosion and social breakdown that you'll often find bubbling away under those kind of opinions, it's not that much of a leap to see talk of burning down discos, hanging DJs and civil unrest on the streets in a vaguely sinister light.

Edited by Winslow Leach

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I guess I'm kind of a hypocrite on that front, as I can still enjoy some of Michael Jacksons music, but wouldn't play a Smiths song again. I can't explain why that is though. 

My guess is that that Jackson’s alleged crimes can never be proven conclusively one way or the other. Whereas Morrissey is an absolutely unashamed ballbag who flaunts his twattishness at every opportunity.

9 hours ago, zahidf said:

Some far right party who wants to ban immigrants.

Thats rubbish from Steve. His parents are from a poor part of Dublin, moved to Manchester for a better life. Hes now worth about 50 million.

He seems very confused. Supporting these clowns yet talking about doing anything for his Muslim friends. 

21 minutes ago, uscore said:

Marr's sets are already quite Smiths heavy, I believe?   His last album was good too.

Yeah but without Steve singing its all just about the guitar sound. 

We've come a long way. Down.

Legendary naturalist and broadcaster Sir David Attenborough has been named Britain's Greatest Living Icon by the audience of BBC Two's The Culture Show. Sir David received more than a third of the 200,000 votes cast. Pop goliaths Morrissey and Sir Paul McCartney were voted second and third respectively.

Wasn't he seriously ill with cancer a few years ago? How do you stare death in the face and struggle through something like that, become aware of your own mortality and the short nature of life, and come out of it deciding that you must make the most of your remaining life by being more racist? As if that's the stuff that's important!

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2019 at 9:04 PM, Woffy said:

I wonder what Johnny Marr thinks. 

Anyone (old enough) to remember his comment when Hang The DJ was accused by someone in the press as being racist? Something along the lines of “we abhor violence, but racism is worse, so if he comes down here we’ll kick his head in“. I’m paraphrasing.

Jesus fucking Christ.

I was very very done with anything Morrissey related after the last Britain First vileness.

Given that Johnny Marr named his son after Nile Rogers it's safe to say he loves a bit of disco himself. I think Pete Paphides summed it up when he said with passing time the question changes from Why did Johnny Marr Leave the Smiths to How did he stay in so long?

44 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Given that Johnny Marr named his son after Nile Rogers it's safe to say he loves a bit of disco himself. I think Pete Paphides summed it up when he said with passing time the question changes from Why did Johnny Marr Leave the Smiths to How did he stay in so long?

Yeah, my badly worded point was bafflement that Marr could quite reasonably make such statements whilst Morrissey is sat quietly behind him forming his own opposing dark thoughts. Staggering.

Following on from your post. I seem to remember a quote from someone stating that as soon as Morrissey left the studio Marr would get the Prince records out, but would never would if SPM was still there. All seems quite ominous with hindsight.

Just now, Woffy said:

Yeah, my badly worded point was bafflement that Marr could quite reasonably make such statements whilst Morrissey is sat quietly behind him forming his own opposing dark thoughts. Staggering.

Following on from your post. I seem to remember a quote from someone stating that as soon as Morrissey left the studio Marr would get the Prince records out, but would never would if SPM was still there. All seems quite ominous with hindsight.

In Marr's autobiography though he said Morrissey and him shared a love of disco. I think Marr has become a nicer guy to offset Morrissey. He really is one of the good guys of rock now. 

Saw him in Berlin a couple years ago and he found it necessary to mention Hitler, which made me squirm in my seat. If only he showed as much compassion for oppressed humans as he does animals. A bigoted racist hiding in plain sight for all these years, I feel sorry for the thousands of people who literally worshipped the guy, I imagine they're very conflicted right now, and let down. 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

In Marr's autobiography though he said Morrissey and him shared a love of disco. I think Marr has become a nicer guy to offset Morrissey. He really is one of the good guys of rock now. 

Yep!

Morrissey was pretty fucking patronising of Marr in his autobiograhpy, particularly - IIRC - liking him to a child during the court case.

Edited by Woffy

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Yep!

Morrissey was pretty fucking patronising of Marr in his autobiograhpy, particularly - IIRC - liking him to a child during the court case.

I haven't read his. Wouldn't want to give him my money. Marr was surprisingly nice. 

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Saw him in Berlin a couple years ago and he found it necessary to mention Hitler, which made me squirm in my seat. If only he showed as much compassion for oppressed humans as he does animals. A bigoted racist hiding in plain sight for all these years, I feel sorry for the thousands of people who literally worshipped the guy, I imagine they're very conflicted right now, and let down. 

Funny how common this is, isn't it?

It's easy to lend a greater weight to what he's like now because of his previous work, but ultimately he's no different to any other of the miserable old pricks you see on Facebook alternating between 'ARE MUSLIM BIRTH RATES TOO HIGH?' scare stories and <<SadFaceEmoji>> videos about abandoned doggos.