Morrissey

Charley333

Remember this?

Legendary naturalist and broadcaster Sir David Attenborough has been named Britain's Greatest Living Icon....Pop goliaths Morrissey and Sir Paul McCartney were voted second and third respectively.

The Stretford-born singer was placed behind wildlife presenter Sir David Attenborough and in front of ex-Beatle Sir Paul McCartney by viewers of the BBC's The Culture Show. 

He beat seven others on the shortlist including singer David Bowie 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/12_december/16/icon.shtml

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music/morrissey-is-second-most-iconic-brit-1051578

Edited by The Nal

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Remember this?

Legendary naturalist and broadcaster Sir David Attenborough has been named Britain's Greatest Living Icon....Pop goliaths Morrissey and Sir Paul McCartney were voted second and third respectively.

The Stretford-born singer was placed behind wildlife presenter Sir David Attenborough and in front of ex-Beatle Sir Paul McCartney by viewers of the BBC's The Culture Show. 

He beat seven others on the shortlist including singer David Bowie 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/12_december/16/icon.shtml

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music/morrissey-is-second-most-iconic-brit-1051578

The Malthusian, the white nationalist, and the man who subjected us to 15 minutes of James Corden's Carpool Karaoke, what a country we have.

• 10 months later...
6 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

He's so 'For Britain' that he lives in the States. The fucking dick. 

Similar to Vinnie Jones who complained about all the immigrants in Britain whilst being an immigrant in America. Total dicks the pair of them. Would really like to point out to them that they are what they hate. 

20 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I was SUCH a fan at his solo career zenith. I feel filthy. What is wrong with people???

ugh. 

Ben

It is so upsetting. Like you i have followed him from the beginning (the end of the smiths). If you look back now you could argue there has been evidence of shitty opinions from the beginning which were disguised and explained away. But now there is no pretence. I can’t listen to his stuff anymore. So sad. 

41 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

It is so upsetting. Like you i have followed him from the beginning (the end of the smiths). If you look back now you could argue there has been evidence of shitty opinions from the beginning which were disguised and explained away. But now there is no pretence. I can’t listen to his stuff anymore. So sad. 

I'm one of those rare beasts who is old enough that I should like the Smiths > Morrissey, but I don't. His glory years of Your Arsenal through to Maladjusted provided me with some of my favourite ever records. Child 1 and Child 3 have grown to love this period too. Now to be 100% certain that he is a vile, reprehensible bigot and intolerant is really disappointing since, as you say, I will now struggle to enjoy, and will not play, some of the music that has, perennially, meant the very most to me. What an arsehole.

Ben

• Upvote 4

I wonder what Johnny Marr thinks. 

Anyone (old enough) to remember his comment when Hang The DJ was accused by someone in the press as being racist? Something along the lines of “we abhor violence, but racism is worse, so if he comes down here we’ll kick his head in“. I’m paraphrasing.

Jesus fucking Christ.

I was very very done with anything Morrissey related after the last Britain First vileness.

36 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm one of those rare beasts who is old enough that I should like the Smiths > Morrissey, but I don't. His glory years of Your Arsenal through to Maladjusted provided me with some of my favourite ever records. Child 1 and Child 3 have grown to love this period too. Now to be 100% certain that he is a vile, reprehensible bigot and intolerant is really disappointing since, as you say, I will now struggle to enjoy, and will not play, some of the music that has, perennially, meant the very most to me. What an arsehole.

Ben

I’m also old enough to like The Smiths and did. I saw them live 3 times including their only time at Glastonbury. They were a band that, at the time, stood for so much that I did and they meant so much to the fans. To see Morrissey now representing another, vile, side of humanity is dispiriting but not entirely surprising given the signs throughout his solo career. It must be a right pain for the other ex-Smiths members, having this tarnishing their legacy.

I was really in to The Smiths in my youth. So much so that when feeling desperately unhappy at university, I listened to them all night and in to the morning in one 12 hour period. Once I stopped playing their music at about 8am in the morning, I'd made my decision - I was quitting the university scene, and I left the place for good a few days later. I thank them (inc Morrissey) for getting me out of a shitty place / existence. That said Morrissey has since let me (and I suspect, most of his previous fans) down. I don't think he was always a tool, but he certainly is now. I'd put him up there with Oscar Wilde at one point, I thought that much of him. Now I know that he's not even in the same league. Just a sad old man now, really.

this man has long gone

Moz’s career really has been carcrash from 2011 onwards and it couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke. 

As those failed Manchester gigs last summer showed, he’s finished in the UK now.

Johnny Marr is everything a former Smith should be in 2019 and I look forward to celebrating his music on the farm next month 

• Upvote 2

I only got into the Smiths a few years ago and did so fully in the knlwledge that Morrissey is a massive helmet so they don't feel tainted by it to me. 

It is sad (but understandable) that someone's shitty personality can affect people's enjoyment of their great music

2 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

It is sad (but understandable) that someone's shitty personality can affect people's enjoyment of their great music

I guess I'm kind of a hypocrite on that front, as I can still enjoy some of Michael Jacksons music, but wouldn't play a Smiths song again. I can't explain why that is though.