Morrissey

Charley333

Maladjusted is not a good album overall. The opening track is a banger, but the rest of it is right w*nk. Also it's got that song about pedos on it, fucking weird arsehole wrote a song about pedos to be edgy purely because people quite rightly don't tend to like child abusers.

I'm saying the only studio albums he made which stand up as comple records were Viva Hate, Vauxhall & I,  and Your Arsenal. Most of his stuff had some choice tracks, some filler, and some absolute turds. The more recent ones have been all turd, and he is a turd person.

Would be interested to know what people's thoughts are on The National Front Disco? I always read it as a bit of a pitying look at working class young men who turned to fascistic movements. It now reads sympathetic, and thusly quite sickening. Similarly I thought Bengali In Platforms and Asian Rut were obviously in very poor taste and not a subject where his point of view was valid or wanted, but at the same time a well intentioned attempt at trying to sympathise with second generation immigrants experiencing tensions with the white communities they live amongst. But now with hindsight he was clearly trying to say "fuck off, you don't belong and never will". Sick bastard.

44 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Maladjusted is not a good album overall. The opening track is a banger, but the rest of it is right w*nk. Also it's got that song about pedos on it, fucking weird arsehole wrote a song about pedos to be edgy purely because people quite rightly don't tend to like child abusers.

I'm saying the only studio albums he made which stand up as comple records were Viva Hate, Vauxhall & I,  and Your Arsenal. Most of his stuff had some choice tracks, some filler, and some absolute turds. The more recent ones have been all turd, and he is a turd person.

Would be interested to know what people's thoughts are on The National Front Disco? I always read it as a bit of a pitying look at working class young men who turned to fascistic movements. It now reads sympathetic, and thusly quite sickening. Similarly I thought Bengali In Platforms and Asian Rut were obviously in very poor taste and not a subject where his point of view was valid or wanted, but at the same time a well intentioned attempt at trying to sympathise with second generation immigrants experiencing tensions with the white communities they live amongst. But now with hindsight he was clearly trying to say "fuck off, you don't belong and never will". Sick bastard.

You little bugger, Lawn!

Ammunition is excellent. Trouble Loves Me is fucking brilliant. Satan Rejected My Soul is classic Morrissey in terms of verve, bite, rollicking along and his unparalleled vocal rhythm (what I mean by that is the way he positions syllables in the phrase), when he had almost no equal in that domain. W*ank is it NOT!

And Southpaw Grammar is an underrated gem. Better than Maladjusted and some of my favourite ever rock production.

The run of Your Arsenal - Beethoven Was Deaf - Vauxhall & I - Southpaw Grammar - Maladjusted is just a golden run for me. And I'm in no way embarrassed to declare that, for me, musically it betters any run of The Smiths, sacrilege though that may be to many...

Bring it.

:D:D

Ben

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I did not need this. I'm more annoyed at myself for reading it than I am at them, although I did enjoy one of them claiming they're not pandering to racism because one of their all time favourite songs is 'Close To The Edge'.

Yeah I forgot about Southpaw Grammar, it's decent, you can have that one. 

The bulk of the songwriting on Maladjusted is dreary, unimaginative, juivenile, clichéd and pants. So whatever points it picks up for admittedly good singing and production (off the top of my head, was it Joe Strummer?) aren't really of any interest to me. Title track still bangs tho.

27 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Gonna swerve this tbh.

• Upvote 1

Fans are weird things. And I include myself in that (EDIT: not specifically Morrissey). It's easy to decry terrible behaviour in people or things you dislike, much harder with those you love.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

I loved The Smiths back in the day, and saw them 3 times. I've never felt compelled to see Moz solo though, and certainly won't be now. I did quite enjoy his autobiography though, simply because it was such an over-indulgence in complete megalomania and utter miserablism that it had (presumably unintentional) great comedic value.

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Saw him at GF in 2011 in the pissing rain. He seemed to have the hump at the Pyramid field only being half full (think everyone was at the Park trying to get into Radiohead).

I enjoyed a hog roast whilst watching him.

Yeah he also assured people he'd get off the stage soon as he knew everyone was just waiting for U2. Then it rained for 24 hours. Decent enough show though, glad I caught him when I was young enough to not really know his more distasteful tendencies.