Morrissey

Charley333

He was very good last night, voice sounded great, band sounded great a very emotional/melodramatic evening.

Setlsit pulled heavily from the new album but it was a tour for the album so why shouldn't it?

I liked WPINOYB but after hearing the songs live last night i like it even more.

The crowd was awful, absolutely shocking! Full of drunk c**ts who had no interest in the music! Complaining of no smiths songs all the way through and then yapped all the way through Asleep. Troglodytes, absolute troglodytes.

As I left all I could hear was people saying how awful it was and what a w*nker morrissey was for not playing 'any' smiths songs.

The crowd was full of people who would have been quite happy for him to play charming man, panic and there is a light and fuck off.

Who pays £70 to see someone and doesn't even bother to give their new album, or any of their albums, a listen!!

I just felt like telling all those people if they want to see a load of smith songs go and see the smyths do a decent cover or marr murder those songs in his solo shows.

TL;DR

Morrissey top melodramatic form

Crowd, bunch of c**ts.

I'd agree with pretty much all of this. One of the worst crowds I've ever had the displeasure of being in.

I'm seeing him tonight. Love the new album so hoping for more from that than Smiths songs. I'm sure we'll get 2 or 3 anyway.

The sort of gig goer described above is a pet hate of mine. Its becoming more problematic too. 9/10 I'm there to see the new stuff played. Same for Dylans last gig, where people seemed to think they would get mid 60s Dylan with the Band and acoustic sets etc.

Can't wait to (hopefully) hear Trouble Loves Me tonight.

Did he say something in London along the lines of "Remember me but forget my fate"?

Anyone read anything into that?

Edited by The Nal

He was very good last night, voice sounded great, band sounded great a very emotional/melodramatic evening.

Setlsit pulled heavily from the new album but it was a tour for the album so why shouldn't it?

I liked WPINOYB but after hearing the songs live last night i like it even more.

The crowd was awful, absolutely shocking! Full of drunk c**ts who had no interest in the music! Complaining of no smiths songs all the way through and then yapped all the way through Asleep. Troglodytes, absolute troglodytes.

As I left all I could hear was people saying how awful it was and what a w*nker morrissey was for not playing 'any' smiths songs.

The crowd was full of people who would have been quite happy for him to play charming man, panic and there is a light and fuck off.

Who pays £70 to see someone and doesn't even bother to give their new album, or any of their albums, a listen!!

I just felt like telling all those people if they want to see a load of smith songs go and see the smyths do a decent cover or marr murder those songs in his solo shows.

TL;DR

Morrissey top melodramatic form

Crowd, bunch of c**ts.

where was this?

Did he say something in London along the lines of "Remember me but forget my fate"?

Anyone read anything into that?

He did indeed. It honestly felt to me as though he was saying goodbye, but then, Morrissey has always been a bit of an old dramatic dear so I'm never sure whether to take what he says at face value or not.

In fact, I'm fairly certain he used the 'remember me' line at the end of his show at the MEN in 2012, minus the 'but forget my fate' line afterwards though.

what was the video? abattoirs and the like?

really regret not getting a ticket for this tour.

Yep. Extremely graphic. Showed acts of cruelty by the people working in them etc. Admirable stance to take, risking alienating an entire audience! Place went completely silent, couple of people crying etc.

Morrissey's band murder those songs in my experience. JM's voice is a bit weak to deliver them, but at least the riffs sound exquisite.

just makes you wonder why they dont just get back together.... i know its not really going to happen but it could be something truly special.

i really enjoyed his pyramid set the other year and would welcome him back anytime, as I wouldnt part with that wad of cash to see him but i'd definitely see him at a festival.

The Smyths are meant to be really good, played at the brudenell in leeds recently 2 nights, i regret not going! next time

Edited by Memory Man

Yep. Extremely graphic. Showed acts of cruelty by the people working in them etc. Admirable stance to take, risking alienating an entire audience! Place went completely silent, couple of people crying etc.

Speaking as vegetarian who believes that there is still too much cruelty in the meat industry, I think that video is a bit silly. Pretty much all of the footage he uses is very old and reflective of things that don't happen these days (although there's still no shortage of practices that will make your stomach churn). I do think that the cruelty angle of taking an anit-meat stance is one that, rightly or wrongly, is least likely to get you taken seriously, but the visual does work well when the old man's up on the stage being provocative and punk as fuck. Meat Is Murder is one of the few points in a modern Moz show where he doesn't just look daft when he tries to take a stance against something (see those stupid fucking "we hate Wills & Kate" t-shirts), it's often the highlight of his shows, and I get the impression it's one of the songs he's most proud of.

just makes you wonder why they dont just get back together.... i know its not really going to happen but it could be something truly special.

No it doesn't. Two men who worked together nearly 30 years ago, have lost nearly everything in common and never been able to find a good enough reason, monetary or otherwise, to get back together since. To see them abandon three decades of work to whore themselves out to do something they don't want would be quite depressing. It's quite admirable that they've stuck to their guns, made like Taylor Swift and never ever ever got back together, despite the inevitable mountains of cash they could get from it. It shows conviction to what they're doing now, which is quite rare in the culture of endless nostalgia reformations we now live in. The story of The Smiths is one of the most interesting of any rock band, five explosive years together and then a final split when they were on an unparalleled winning streak. It's so satisfying and rare to have that definitive canon to look back on, I wouldn't trade that for a poor reunion.

I think it's partly because Morrissey has been so successful on his own (more so than the Smiths were in their prime) that he doesn't really feel that he needs to go back to that point in time. Plus he has been working alongside Boz now for a lot longer than he ever did with the Smiths.

Given the personal issues & the court case I really don't see it ever happening. There is no way Morrissey would want to work with or provide further earnings to Joyce again, ever.

At a push I could see Johnny turning up to play a few songs with Morrissey at some point, but even that's highly unlikely.

Speaking as vegetarian who believes that there is still too much cruelty in the meat industry, I think that video is a bit silly. Pretty much all of the footage he uses is very old and reflective of things that don't happen these days (although there's still no shortage of practices that will make your stomach churn). I do think that the cruelty angle of taking an anit-meat stance is one that, rightly or wrongly, is least likely to get you taken seriously, but the visual does work well when the old man's up on the stage being provocative and punk as fuck. Meat Is Murder is one of the few points in a modern Moz show where he doesn't just look daft when he tries to take a stance against something (see those stupid fucking "we hate Wills & Kate" t-shirts), it's often the highlight of his shows, and I get the impression it's one of the songs he's most proud of.

No it doesn't. Two men who worked together nearly 30 years ago, have lost nearly everything in common and never been able to find a good enough reason, monetary or otherwise, to get back together since. To see them abandon three decades of work to whore themselves out to do something they don't want would be quite depressing. It's quite admirable that they've stuck to their guns, made like Taylor Swift and never ever ever got back together, despite the inevitable mountains of cash they could get from it. It shows conviction to what they're doing now, which is quite rare in the culture of endless nostalgia reformations we now live in. The story of The Smiths is one of the most interesting of any rock band, five explosive years together and then a final split when they were on an unparalleled winning streak. It's so satisfying and rare to have that definitive canon to look back on, I wouldn't trade that for a poor reunion.

I think it's unarguable that Morrissey and Marr are taking Taylor Swifts lead over this. Good on them

Great gig last night. Crowd were great. His voice! Wow.

The Meat is Murder video was a bit much mind you! :O

I haven't seen him since Manchester arena (2012). He played a video of similar then. My mate was very disturbed.

Part of Morrissey is the fact he is going to shove his views in your face. Whether you like them, whether you don't, whether they are stupid or whether it's not.

If other people would have done that, I'd have found it odd.

• 1 month later...