Hand sanitizer

Guest ark

Does anyone know much about these? Is it alcohol in the sanitizer that kills the germs?

Do they have a limited shelf life? I seem to have quite a few over past coupld of years, should I chuck them all and buy a new one?

ta

(I said it was a boring thread, sorry!)

I've had some that's turned a bit thick and gooey after its use by date. It just took a bit more evaporating than the fresh stuff.

I don't think buying a new one will break the bank lol

dettol stuff, 3 for a quid at poundies. Job done.

Surely the tiny volume of sanitiser that is in a bottle, no matter how strong, would make attempting to drink it to get drunk a completely pointless affair? I can understand a large pump being tempting for a shouty tramp, but those little bottles must be the equivilent of a couple of shots of vodka mixed with jelly and washing up liquid.

• 8 years later...

Just seen hand sanitizer being sold for 240 pounds on ebay for a 500 ml bottle these people should be jailed also overheard a conversation in a shop in irvine a guy was sent out by his wife to buy every bottle he could find she has a stall in some park and selling it at a ridiculous price and numpty are buying it

On 6/11/2011 at 5:15 PM, bumpy_capers said:

the alcohol is denatured so you can't get pissed on it

Technically you can get pissed on it and some do....we've all heard tails of drunks on the meths. 

Denatured alcohol aka methylated spirit in the UK is ca 90% ethanol (the getting you pissed bit) with the remainder being nauseous foul tasting solvents (largely methanol) and a denoting dye colourant. The added solvents are designed to make it unfit/unpalatable for human consumption whilst the dye serves as a warning..........

..Would be useful for some beers I've tried 😑

Edited by Lycra

39 minutes ago, Petercc said:

Just seen hand sanitizer being sold for 240 pounds on ebay for a 500 ml bottle these people should be jailed also overheard a conversation in a shop in irvine a guy was sent out by his wife to buy every bottle he could find she has a stall in some park and selling it at a ridiculous price and numpty are buying it

Ah Irvine! The only decent thing I remember about Irvine was the Oasis gig in 1995 at the beach park! 

1 hour ago, Petercc said:

Why should they be jailed? I don’t agree with the practice but they’re free to set whatever price they want. If someone is daft enough to pay that’s their problem.