Wellies are for life not ...

Guest so_wot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought if everyone wore expensive wellies to glasto, then no one would leave them there ,as to expensive to just throw away and this will help with the.....

Leave no trace Motto which a lot of people ignore!

As the OP states, dont leave whatever waterproof style footwear you should be bringing to the fest at home. Despite the lush forecast, with 3 solid weeks of heatwave and sun and the location of Pilton in the part of the world where there are more storms than Tornado Alley the US, the possibility of a thunderstorm could well be likely.

But as Neil so rightly points out, one or even a couple of storms will be a bit mucky underfoot for a short while but it will be dry again within hours. But not bringing your wellies/walking boots may backfire on you.

Edited by HurrahBrother

Stick them upside down on sticks when you get home and have a fun ten minutes hosing them down.

Edited by mkgirl1981

What would the welly experts recommend for someone with really large calves? (former swimmer, _really_ large calves, I've never been able to wear tall boots).

I'm pretty sure I want to go with wellies vs. walking boots and gaiters (given what I've read in this thread, among others). So far, I've been to over 10 stores trying on wellies: dunlop, karrimor, peter storm, house brands, nameless brands, and hunters. So far, the only boots I can fit in to are the gusseted hunters, but the cheapest I could find them at is £79. I live in London, I have pretty well no need for wellies except for glasto, so £80 for a pair of boots seems a bit excessive (they are very comfy though :-)

Any other possibilities out there? Some sort of hidden gem that I could consider? I don't mind spending a decent amount, but I'd rather buy something that would be practical beyond a yearly festival.

Cheers!

Chas

£80 seems reasonable to me. Unless you're still growing, and your feet get any bigger, they'll last for years. As someone else said, after you've bought 2 or 3 cheap (and painful) pairs, you may as well have splashed out in the first place

What would the welly experts recommend for someone with really large calves? (former swimmer, _really_ large calves, I've never been able to wear tall boots).

I'm pretty sure I want to go with wellies vs. walking boots and gaiters (given what I've read in this thread, among others). So far, I've been to over 10 stores trying on wellies: dunlop, karrimor, peter storm, house brands, nameless brands, and hunters. So far, the only boots I can fit in to are the gusseted hunters, but the cheapest I could find them at is £79. I live in London, I have pretty well no need for wellies except for glasto, so £80 for a pair of boots seems a bit excessive (they are very comfy though :-)

Any other possibilities out there? Some sort of hidden gem that I could consider? I don't mind spending a decent amount, but I'd rather buy something that would be practical beyond a yearly festival.

Cheers!

Chas

The thing that pisses me off about wellies is how floppy they are around my calves. They seem to have wider tops depending on the size, so skinny me and my size 12 feet get dwarfed in them! Walking boots all the way ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I know I would be extremely lucky to stumble across some even in TKMaxx in my size tomrorrow, but just maybe? :rolleyes:

I did have a pair of cheap wellies that I wore last year for most the festival which were fine, but I wore them yesterday for 'Get Loaded in the park' cause it was chucking it all day. I don't know if it is being a year older but my feet are suffering today, and I feel I should finally invest!

Edited by nat2006

some people on here slate Hunter wearers, but after last year at V when I could hardly walk after a day in Dunlops, i decided to fork out for some Hunters and haven't looked back. I wear them because they are comfy and well made, not because 3rd or 4th rate celebs wore them a few years ago

my hunters have broken after a year. only survived leeds fest :( loved them aswell.

theyre the smaller ones with laces and the metal loops popped out the top so they cant be tightened properly.

might try and get the fixed somewhere :/ but if its too muddy the laces may be impracticle for glasto. hmmm

might just have to go b and q to get some for a tenner :(

unless anyone knows any offers on?