First family festival

Guest It doesn't get any better

Hi

I've been to Glasto, V and T several times but never before have I been with my family

My good lady has suggested that we try Wychwood with the family - our children are 9, 11 and 13 and I am keen to do this

With my experience of the larger festivals I have a number of concerns which may be unfounded and I wonder if anyone can help?

1. How rammed is the camping? We have a reasonably large family tent and I wouldn't contemplate putting it up at the festivals I have been to previously. Is there room at Wychwood to erect a family tent?

2. How far is it from the parking to the camping? As a family we seem to take miles more camping gear than I would ever take to a festival and I don't think it would be feasible to carry it all miles and miles from the parking

3. We'll have to go home a bit early on Sunday night as my son has exams next week - will it be feasible to get the car out Sunday evening before everyone leaves or will it be chaos?

4. I will be very happy with the selection of music but it will all be new to my kids. Is there much else to do other than watch the music should they not enjoy it?

5. Is the main stage field sloped in any way? Otherwise I am concerned that my youngest would not be able to see anything at all

Any help/advice would be gratefully received

Hi

I've been to Glasto, V and T several times but never before have I been with my family

My good lady has suggested that we try Wychwood with the family - our children are 9, 11 and 13 and I am keen to do this

With my experience of the larger festivals I have a number of concerns which may be unfounded and I wonder if anyone can help?

1. How rammed is the camping? We have a reasonably large family tent and I wouldn't contemplate putting it up at the festivals I have been to previously. Is there room at Wychwood to erect a family tent?

2. How far is it from the parking to the camping? As a family we seem to take miles more camping gear than I would ever take to a festival and I don't think it would be feasible to carry it all miles and miles from the parking

3. We'll have to go home a bit early on Sunday night as my son has exams next week - will it be feasible to get the car out Sunday evening before everyone leaves or will it be chaos?

4. I will be very happy with the selection of music but it will all be new to my kids. Is there much else to do other than watch the music should they not enjoy it?

5. Is the main stage field sloped in any way? Otherwise I am concerned that my youngest would not be able to see anything at all

Any help/advice would be gratefully received

We took our kids when we first attended in 2008 and they were 12,10,8 and 4 (approximately!). All of what the previous poster has said is accurate, with the weather currently forecast this is set to be another excellent Wychwood, our 4th in a row, with a growing group of others joining us each time around.

Stuff for kids to do is great. Our eldest learnt to do trapeze last year. They all joined in some kind of smoothy making workshop. There were various circus skills being demonstrated and taught. There are also "crafty" things, although ours haven't really joined in with that stuff in the past. Some of us even went into the main stage area early enough to see Mr Tumbles on the Sunday!!

With regards your smallest being able to see for all bar the headliners kids can pretty much walk straight to the barrier, and the view from the side is fine. It's totally unlike the other events in that regard, it generally feels nicely busy, never ridiculously crowded.

For us one of the differences having the kids is sometimes accepting that you can't see the artist you wanted to because it is time to go back to the campsite to grab jumpers or a bowl of pasta (the food is all great, and we do have some from the stalls, but feeding 6 of us would bankrupt me).

Anyway, I predict all round fun - hope you enjoy it :)

Come to the cinema at 9.30am on Sunday - I've put together a short film programme for kids and I think they're gonna love it! Also we're showing an amazing and beautiful animation on Saturday morning called The Princes Quest.

All in all, Wychwood is pretty much designed for people with kids.

• 2 weeks later...