Glasto Etiquitte

Guest loverlea

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On guy ropes, who is more inconsiderate, the people who get so pissed that they stumble through and into tents at night or the people who puts up guy ropes to stop their tents blowing away? The sensible approach is to attach tape or something like carrier bags to your guy ropes

I would think though if you can't see a guy rope in the dark then you can't see a piece of carrier bag... so maybe get some illuminous/reflective guy ropes or get those glowsticks (20 in a tube for a quid) and tape a few to the guys?

I bloody love this thread, it is giving me the glasto tingles at me desk at work.....eeeee!

DO make time for the smaller, marvellous parts of the festival, such as the bandstand, the stone dragon, the piano man who is usually in the green fields, a debate at the Leftfield tent...it just makes the place so wonderful

DON'T accidentally scare your neighbours - a couple of years ago we invited our neighbours to partake in some Thursday night wandering, which they accepted, and we accidentally terrified them with a mixture of our naughty-induced fuzziness, our rather filthy Middlesbrough humour and the fact we sang the intro to Rock Lobster about 1800 times in a row because every time we did our mate would get up and dance. We walked them home, chanting PigBag all the way, and they never spoke to us for the rest of the festival, which was really their loss cause the craic went downhill from there!

DO make sure, if you're a smoker, that you have a little carry-round ash tray/ always dispose of the butts appropriately where you can. They're the hardest thing to pick up for those cleaning afterwards

DON'T forget that if someone is being pushy or a bit rank, a simple smile and a calm word usually dissolves the situation

DO remember that, especially when it's hot WATER IS YOUR FRIEND. Keep hydrated - it'll keep you going longer, make the inevitable morning broken feeling a bit easier and will prevent a trip to the medical tent at 6 in the morning like my friend encountered a couple of years ago

DON'T be afraid to talk to people - its one of the best bits of Glasto. Pull up a jumper/ plaggy bag if its wet and join in!

There are loads more, but this will do for now I think!

On glowing guy ropes etc; wondered about it in the past, but came to the conclusion it'd probably end up around some drunk girls neck and you'd have no guy ropes at all.

Oh dear, do people not remember what it's like when it rains and is muddy? if you don't have a chair you don't get to sit for the whole day and night or whatever unless you want to sit in mud. Chairs are not bad, a nesseity even sometimes I'd say.

I think the etiquette is quite simple really

1) Respect each other, wear a smile not a frown, and be prepared to talk to anyone

2) Respect the environment, pick up your litter, don't piss in the hedges, streams or anywhere else except the loos

3) Have the time of your life

No, I totally agree Mr.Blair!! Sometimes tho it can be a bit difficult planning piss stops if you are in the middle of the crowd at the pyramid!! Although there are loads of toilets on either side, if you head out during a set you ain't making it back in to your mates. If you know you are gonna be in there, go for pee before you head in, even if you don't yet feel like it.

It's not really the festival etiquitte but if it's not raining or blowing a gale you don't need to out the guy ropes out on your tent they'll serve no purpose other than to trip up drunks in the middle of the night who are trying to get to bed to sleep it off. Rather than saving your tent you may just even up having someone fall on it and break it maybe even when you're in it kipping.

I've managed to get back inside the circle loads of times when I've had to go for a pee or some food or meet someone, even my kids have done it.

It's not that people can't do it, they can't be arsed

I wish someone would come up with a small program that analysed and categorised all the text in this forum at this time of year. I reckon you'd get about 80% of it being to do with pissing, with the rest being on flags and booze. :D

On the chairs issue, again, it's not people using chairs at the back or even in the middle or during the day when they are obvious and a route around them easily found. It's quite specific really, chairs at the front in big rows after dark when it's really busy i.e. standing room only. It's almost akin to a load of mates linking arms and not letting anyone past.