The Park Special Guests: Rumour Round up

Guest cheeseisamazing

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may have been pointed out already - in which case apologies - but I notice that Discodeine (who have featured Jarvis Cocker) are preceeded on Saturday night in Club Dada by 'Superstar Guests' - is this not a more likely place for Pulp to appear than in The Park?

Guest blackcockerel

Cheers! I've a fair idea who it is - I have a stalker it seems, who I'm going to be reporting very shortly if they don't pack it in.

Edited by blackcockerel

Really? Perhaps you'd like to show me one of this years festival headliners that have toured the UK in the run up to their headline date (not inc warm up dates)?

Perhaps you are the "liar" disagreeing with facts you 'clearly' don't know anything about????

If a band is playing everywhere before a festival date, then they're not going to sell many tickets for that festival date, are they? So that doesn't work for a promoter who needs to sell his tickets, and it doesn't work for a band either, who want to get as much money as they can for the fewest appearances.

So promoters tend to book bands as headliners who have a 'rarity value', because they're not playing a mass of shows to draw potential ticket buyers away to those other shows, and may insist within the festival contract that there aren't any other shows which will undermine their investment in booking that band.

But there is no hard-and-fast rule about "aren't allowed to tour for 6 months prior to the festival date and not allowed to even announce a tour that's happening months after until the festival date has passed" as you've said. It's an agreement made between promoter and band, that's arrived at thru negotiation, taking into account the promoter's desire to protect their investment in booking that band but also taking into account what the band are wanting to do with other shows. If they can't make an agreement around the needs of each then the booking doesn't happen.

Some promoters of big festivals don't bother to play the 'exclusive' game at all - for example, GuilFest this year have Roger Daltry, who is touring the same set at gigs around his GuilFest headline slot, and who a few years ago had the Levellers as headliners who are gigging almost constantly. There's other examples too.

And it's often the case that the Reading/Leeds headliners book in a few indoor shows in London at around the same time - tho they tend not to be announced until the R/L tickets have sold out.

There is no hard and fast rule as you claim.

Edited by eFestivals

Guest blackcockerel

Couldn't give a shit about the minus points. It's the stalking I don't appreciate. What a strange man you must be. You've been reported anyway.

Edited by blackcockerel