'Elf & Safety, Crowd Control, Sound levels etc

Guest LusciousLucy

if i was GFL i would secretly buy up all the houses in the village. eventually there would be no one to complain about the noise so you could have it as loud as you want.

on a more serious point. i wonder how many of the locals actually complain about the noise / festival?.

if i was GFL i would secretly buy up all the houses in the village. eventually there would be no one to complain about the noise so you could have it as loud as you want.

on a more serious point. i wonder how many of the locals actually complain about the noise / festival?.

As rightly pointed out by the OP, many of the locals will have moved into the area long after the festival started, and fully aware of its existance. It's pretty snobbish to complain about a few days noise each year (which brings in so much business to local companies, not to mention the donations from Michael Eavis), when many people have a motorway/railway line thrown down outside their house by the govt, and nothing that can do about it. You can imagine the whingers now: "bloody proles, making noise and stinking up our lovely countryside village."

Anyway, I wonder if money isn't the answer to this problem? How much would it cost to pay all the residents of Pilton's council tax for the year? Arrange a local referendum to determine if the residents would be happy to have no council tax in exchange for GFL having complete immunity from complaints, granted by the council. Its hard to think they wouldn't agree.

Edited by hashcity

I agree about the distinction between noise and health and safety. But I still think there has to be some consideration for neighbours and local residents on noise levels. It's about getting a reasonable balance.

Sure if you buy a flat near the Palace of Westminster you'd be a bit of a prat to complain about Big Ben going bong every hour.

But on H&S, if significant numbers of people were to be injured - it only takes one person to trip and a load of others to push on and trample and you could have serious problems - then the whole licence and future of the festival would be in jeopardy.

The spirit of Glasto surely has to involve having fun whilst at the same time showing care and concern for others.

I agree about the distinction between noise and health and safety. But I still think there has to be some consideration for neighbours and local residents on noise levels. It's about getting a reasonable balance.

Sure if you buy a flat near the Palace of Westminster you'd be a bit of a prat to complain about Big Ben going bong every hour.

But on H&S, if significant numbers of people were to be injured - it only takes one person to trip and a load of others to push on and trample and you could have serious problems - then the whole licence and future of the festival would be in jeopardy.

The spirit of Glasto surely has to involve having fun whilst at the same time showing care and concern for others.

I think the site needs an overhaul - split the late night areas to allieve the ridiculous queuing and bottle necks. Stick Shangri La and the Common up in that new Darble field - people will chose to go to one of the other, not both as they are so far apart. Open up dragon so it is all regular camping and stick crew camping where SL and the Common is.