HAJAH - SKA DUB REGGAE

bamber

This one is about the execution (hanging) of Paul Bogel, he was hanged on 24 October 1865 in the Morant Bay court house

Morant Bay rebellion

On 7 October 1865, Bogle and some supporters killed two men from Stony Gut. A black man was convicted and sentenced to prison on charges of trespassing on a long abandoned plantation. One member of Bogle's group protested in court over the case, but was immediately arrested, angering the crowd further. He was rescued moments later when Bogle and his men took to the market square and retaliated. The police were severely beaten and forced to retreat.[7]

On Monday, 9 October 1865, warrants were issued against Bogle and a number of others for riot and assault. The police arrived in Stony Gut to arrest Bogle but met with stiff resistance from the residents. They fought the police, forcing them to retreat to Morant Bay.

A few days later on 11 October 1865, there was a vestry meeting in the Court House. That day Bogle led hundreds of followers, armed with sticks and machetes, on a protest march to the court house. The authorities had mustered a volunteer militia, who fired into the protesters after stones were thrown, killing seven men. The protesters set fire to the Court House and nearby buildings. When officials tried to leave, several were killed by the angry mob outside; a total of 25 on both sides died that day.[6]

Black peasants rose up and took control of the parish for two days. The governor quickly retaliated, declaring martial law and ordering troops to capture the rebels and suppress the rebellion. The troops destroyed Stony Gut and Bogle's chapel, killing more than 400 persons outright across the parish, including women and children. They arrested more than 300 persons, including Bogle. Jamaican Maroons from Moore Town eventually captured Bogle and delivered him to the colonial government.[8] He was tried under martial law and quickly executed, as were many others.[2][4] Others, including women, and brought back to Morant Bay to be tried under martial law.[6] Gordon was convicted of conspiracy and hanged on 23 October.[6]

Back in Britain there was public outcry, and increased opposition from liberals against Eyre's handling of the situation, with accusations against him of murder. Supporters praised the governor for acting quickly in the crisis to suppress a potentially larger rebellion.[9] Bogle was later hanged on 24 October 1865.

Aftermath

By the end of 1865 the "Governor Eyre Case" had become the subject of widespread national debate. In January 1866, a Royal Commission was sent to investigate the events. Governor Eyre was suspended and recalled to England and eventually dismissed. The national government changed that of Jamaica. The House of Assembly resigned its charter, and Jamaica was made a Crown Colony, governed directly from Britain.[9]

The "Eyre Controversy" turned into a long and increasingly public issue, dividing well-known figures of the day. It may have contributed to the fall of the government. In 1866 John Stuart Mill set up and chaired the Jamaica Committee to examine the atrocities committed in Jamaica in the course of ending the rebellion.[10]Thomas Carlyle set up a rival committee to defend Eyre. His supporters included John Ruskin, Charles Kingsley, Charles Dickens and Alfred, Lord Tennyson.[11]

The Morant Bay rebellion turned out to be one of the defining points in Jamaica's struggle for both political and economical enhancement. Bogle's demonstration ultimately achieved its objectives and paved the way for new attitudes.

Legacy

In 1969 Paul Bogle was named a National Hero [12] along with George William Gordon, Marcus Garvey, Sir Alexander Bustamante and Norman Washington Manley. In the 1970s, two other National Heroes were added in the form of Samuel Sharpe and Queen Nanny of the Maroons.

Bogle is depicted on the heads side of the Jamaican 10-cent coin. His face was also depicted on the Jamaican two-dollar bill, from 1969 until 1989, when the two-dollar bill was phased out.[2]

The Paul Bogle High School in the parish of his birth is named after him.

He is referred to together with Toussaint L'Ouverture, leader of the Haitian Revolution, in the name of the London-based publishing company Bogle-L'Ouverture.[13]

Edited by bamber
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, Neil said:

Burning spear is playing in Birmingham on Saturday wish I was going. Its his first UK show for twenty years and he's getting on, not sure he'll be back. 

Truly Gutted I missed this.

Anyone here going to Notting Hill Carnival this year?

I'm there.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:06 PM, Pateen said:

Cant find any of those listed in the last 10 posts or so down as playing in Glastonbury

Any ska, Dub or Reggae suggestions for Glasto?

Most people at Glastonbury these days wouldn't even know the difference between the three, let alone appreciate it. Far more interested in getting an Instagram picture whilst seeing crap like Kylie Minogue with cider in hand and wellies on feet. Ill be glad tomorrow and Monday at Notting Hill Carnival since these types of people are absolutely shit scared of going anywhere near it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

a new jimmy cliff album

REGGAE LEGEND & ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME® INDUCTEE

JIMMY CLIFF RELEASES FIRST NEW ALBUM SINCE 2012 ON CD, REFUGEES, AVAILABLE TODAY

Available TODAY.  One of the most important reggae artists of all-time, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame® inductee, and GRAMMY® Award winning icon Jimmy Cliff made his long-awaited return with his first new album in over a decade, Refugees, recently released digitally on 12th August, 2022 via UMe.  

In July 2022, Jimmy released the first single “Refugees” (Dance Version) featuring Wyclef Jean. The song captures the spirit of Cliff’s most classic output with a neo-soul hip-hop twist courtesy of the legendary Fugees co-founder. It also continues the creative and spiritual connection between these two mavericks as Wyclef famously inducted Cliff into the Roll Hall of Fame® in 2010. 

Regarding this generational collaboration, Wyclef commented, “For me, coming to America wasn’t easy when I first got here. Having family members who suffered political torment, it wasn’t easy for us. When I say ‘Fugees, ‘Fugees’ is short for ‘Refugees. I was always like, ‘If I could penetrate a message, it would be that. And who inspires that? Jimmy Cliff is one of my biggest inspirations ever, and he has always stayed on message when it comes to peace, love, and unity. The collaboration with this record is just what we are, talking for the forgotten. In an era where love is needed, I don’t think anybody can convey that better than the king.”  That’s what the “King” does best on Refugees.  

Jimmy said, “I’m very proud of this, because it sees Jimmy Cliff in a new musical direction. I’ll always go into something new. Even though Refugees is a heavy title, you’re going to be moving your feet, because it’s on the dancefloor. There we go. I love it.” 

Regarding his collaboration with Jimmy on “We Want Justice,Jamaican vocalist and multiinstrumentalist Dwight Richards said, “I’ve been working with Jimmy Cliff for 20 years and was honored when he asked me to feature on ‘We Want Justice’. Growing up in Jamaica, that song really touched me. To be able to sing it with Jimmy gives it more meaning. As we all know, Jimmy is a humanitarian, and that speaks for itself and this album. We the people, we want justice, and we deserve justice.  

Among the thirteen tracks, he notably collaborates with his daughter Lilty Cliff on the emotional “Racism. 

Lilty summed it up, “The way the song came about is just a story about musicians having fun together. I was just messing around. The band leader ended up recording a few things. Next thing I know, I hear I’m actually going to be featuring on a song. Jimmy’s a man who has always stayed true to his beliefs. I think ‘Racism’ is a song that really shows what the whole Refugees album is about, which is unity and tolerance. The fact I get to be a part of is really amazing. I can’t wait for everyone to hear it. I see you.” 

As lively as ever, Cliff celebrated his 78th birthday on July 30. This year also marked the 50th anniversary of the timeless The Harder They Come—the classic film starring Jimmy originally released in 1972. His creation of The Harder They Come Soundtrack effectively pioneered and popularized reggae. Given its gravity, The Library of Congress deemed it “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” and chose it for preservation in the National Recording Registry. The album’s release also fittingly follows the 60th Anniversary of Jamaica’s Independence from the UK on August 6, 2022. 

In 2012, Cliff gifted the world with his most recent LP Rebirth. It garnered a GRAMMY® Award in the category of “Best Reggae Album” and closed out the year on Rolling Stone’s “50 Best Albums of 2012. He stands out as “the only living reggae musician to hold the Order of Merit—the highest honor that can be granted by the Jamaican government for achievements in the arts and sciences. Of course, his catalog spans seminal songs “Many Rivers To Cross,” “You Can Get It If You 

Really Want”, “The Harder They Come, and “Hakuna Matata.He contributed covers of Cat Stevens“Wild World” and Johnny Nash’s “I Can See Clearly Now” to the classic comedy Cool Runnings

However, he incites another era of revolution on Refugees this year. 

REFUGEES TRACKLISTING

Money Love 

Here I Am 

Refugees (Rap Version) feat. Wyclef Jean 

Security 

One Song 

My Love Song 

Moving On 

We Want Justice feat. Dwight Richards 

Racism feat. Lilty Cliff 

Bridges 

Punus