Sundrive Hire (Camper Van / Motorhome Hire) Anyone Used Them?

Guest Morse Code

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had almost exactly the same conversation it seems...

Pleasant sounding fella (despite being a Cockney), called Tim. Said company started 18m ago, by someone experienced in the motorhome business (who had split from their previous business partner?). Said all the motorhomes 1-2 ys old, and spread across a few depots throughout country.

I booked earlier today - say around 2ish, giving credit card details. I came across this thread practically AS i was booking - really put the wind up me. I mentioned the bad press to Tim as we talked, and he said yes they were aware of it.

If they are genuine (and I really hope they are, as they have our details) they haven't really handled it very well. They did offer an inspection to me at my home - as they've offered to other people it seems.

I'm hopeful but still vaguely unconvinced... I offered to go and look at one of the vans anywhere near Brum at my own expense, and they didnt really jump at the chance.

In any case they said they won't take any money at the moment, even though they have our details, so we're keeping an eye out too!

Sounds like they do need to do something to demonstrate they are real, if they are a genuine company, becuase their reputation is getting a bit battered here...

Edited by GlastoHoliday

Amazzzzzzzzzzzzzing!! :lol:

PS I have a work background of working closely with fraud for a blue chip company within the travel industry.

Having read this and other threads my gut instinct is 'Save you money and book elsewhere.'

1st time posters you are doing the company more damage IF and that is a big IF they are genuine.

Edited by StoneCircle

I'm a newbie to this forum and thread, but not to Glasto. My Glasto is usually straightforward, volunteering or going with groups.

This year we only got resale tickets, so it's been more complicated.

StoneCircle, i'm not entirely sure what you're implying - that i'm a stooge of the company maybe. Of course you've a right to your opinion, but my post isn't exactly unambiguously positive.

Perhaps if you've nothing much useful to say, you should say nothing. And let those of us who have money riding on the outcome figure out whats going on, and how to fix it if need be.

Or just start calling us names if it makes you feel better?

Edited by StoneCircle

Stone Circle, what exactly are you getting at with the 2 aliases?

Obviously, you have either spoken with the Tim guy or have collected the information so can you please be more direct and pass on what your view is on the subject

I am a newbie alright,

I came on here today to see if I can look into getting a campervan ticket ironically enough! and then found saw this thread.. which as you can imagine, threw a spanner into todays works!

Thanks stone circle,

I am genuine alright and I am familiar with the one post wonders from other forums I have used in the past.

We booked with these guys yesterday and friends about 2 weeks back and neither of us have had anything removed from our cards yet

The deal is very good compared to others however I am still undecided with what to do

"Tim" did state that the guy who started it up set it up as a sole trader, (which would not of allowed him to hire employees to my knowledge)

I questioned this and he couldnt really answer properly - this could have been simply him not knowing what that fully meant but then on the other hand this also creates doubt

Sorry if im banging on here, at this stage its hard to cancel it (as availability) but on the other hand.... ;)

I am not getting at anything, simply pointing out that previous newbies waxed lyrical on how great the company now. Today we have 3 more newbies, yourself, Simpy and GlastoHoliday. This time all being a little more reserved shall we say.

Not sure what you mean by aliases? Are you saying you are also Simpy and GlastoHoliday???

I have not spoken to Tim and have no desire to. Read post #55 for my view on the subject.

If you are a genuine newbie, welcome to the forum, you will get the best advice on here for all things glasto! :)

I would seriously look elsewhere to hire your campervan. :D

Personally, I would not be placated by the fact that they haven't taken deposits from people's cards yet.

If this is a scam, then the chances are that they wouldn't announce that to the world in advance and could well be saving up everyone's card details for one big swoop.

That said, I have no idea if they are genuine or not, nor have I any interest in renting a campervan, but they do seem to be going about establishing a new business in a rather odd manner.

Thanks stone circle,

I am genuine alright and I am familiar with the one post wonders from other forums I have used in the past.

We booked with these guys yesterday and friends about 2 weeks back and neither of us have had anything removed from our cards yet

The deal is very good compared to others however I am still undecided with what to do

"Tim" did state that the guy who started it up set it up as a sole trader, (which would not of allowed him to hire employees to my knowledge)

I questioned this and he couldnt really answer properly - this could have been simply him not knowing what that fully meant but then on the other hand this also creates doubt

Sorry if im banging on here, at this stage its hard to cancel it (as availability) but on the other hand.... ;)

People use emoticons for all sorts of reasons, often incorrectly. If you read StoneCircle's posts, which you obviously have, you would realise that there is no revelling in others' misfortunes going on. Your "stench of schadenfreude" claim implied a lot more than an out of place smiley. But perhaps you just wanted to use a big word? :huh:

Well I can't say that the advice i've received has been the best yet. More like uninformed opinion. Perhaps you should ring and speak to Tim if you really want to be helpful, and come back with a proper opinion. Talk is cheap after all. Or just tone down the stench of schadenfreude.

Hmmm so now there's something wrong with using the right words, or I'm stupid for not realising StoneCircle is lovely when I've only read her posts on this thread, not the other half a million?

Your gallantry is laudable if misplaced. I expect you're fabulous online friends. However I'm equally sure she's capable of fighting her own battles if she wishes.

If your scared by big words don't read my posts.

Before this all gets too personal, let's remember that this forum should surely be a helpful place, reflecting the spirit of Glasto. Why not post in that spirit, rather than remarking on my bodacious vocabulary.

I really have no need to talk to Tim, just passing on my 30 years in travel industry expertise at smelling out rats and moles. Moles always have a particular stench of schadenfreude. <_<

Thank you kind sir for defending me!! My use of the initial smile was to welcome mimes to the forum. Not wanting to duplicate smiles I chose the big smile. :)

Oh yes............... :D

Someone pass me a shovel, there is a huge mole digging on here that needs hitting on the head before it causes more damage!! :lol::P

Hmmm so now there's something wrong with using the right words, or I'm stupid for not realising StoneCircle is lovely when I've only read her posts on this thread, not the other half a million?

Your gallantry is laudable if misplaced. I expect you're fabulous online friends. However I'm equally sure she's capable of fighting her own battles if she wishes.

If your scared by big words don't read my posts.

Before this all gets too personal, let's remember that this forum should surely be a helpful place, reflecting the spirit of Glasto. Why not post in that spirit, rather than remarking on my bodacious vocabulary.