Valuables

Guest LORD ALAIN DAMAGE

Well guys it looks as though I won't be taking my SLR :(

I spoke to the insurance company today and they said they wouldn't cover the camera if its being kept in a lock-up as they don't know how secure they are. The only way they would cover it would be if I was carrying it on me at all times (not leaving it anywhere) and it got stolen from my possesion or damaged.

Seems a bit silly they won't cover it really but I don't think I want to run the risk. Is anybody got a camera covered by contents insurance? Might dig around online and see if there's any companies that do "festival insurance". Might be a long shot but worth a try.

I spoke to the insurance company today and they said they wouldn't cover the camera if its being kept in a lock-up as they don't know how secure they are. The only way they would cover it would be if I was carrying it on me at all times (not leaving it anywhere) and it got stolen from my possesion or damaged.

Seems a bit silly they won't cover it really but I don't think I want to run the risk. Is anybody got a camera covered by contents insurance? Might dig around online and see if there's any companies that do "festival insurance". Might be a long shot but worth a try.

Edited by Wirephil

Honestly, if I were you -- and you want to take it -- I'd take it.

While it's in the lockups, it *will* be safe. As far as I'm aware , there's never been a theft or loss from the festival lockups (anyone want to correct me?)

And while it's not in the lockups, it will be insured.

Lost my expensive Sony Camera there last year,well i think £180 is expensive,i count myself very lucky as it was found and handed in, i got it back about 4 weeks after the festival. I will be taking it again this year,i don't see any point in using a cheap camera instead. Only thing i don't take is my decent mobile,use a very basic spare phone,with a couple of spare batteries. Money is kept in money belt,every thing else i take has no value at all. Never tried the lockups,have heard they are quite good though.

That sucks. Would they cover it for the rest of the festival, just not pay out if it went missing when it was in the care of the lockups? If so I'd take that risk as the lockups are secure locations that are manned 24 hours a day. They have no known thefts in all the years they've run them. Your camera would be more secure in one of the Glastonbury lockups than in your tent overnight when you are sleeping or even locked up in your car in the car park. It might be worth another talk with your insurance company.

I use the lockups every year and store thousands of pounds worth of camera gear there without any worry.