Your all time no. 1 festival tip

Guest acripaul

Hi everyone

Now that the the tickets are booked I'm getting into serious countdown mode :D . I've been thinking about what to take/to leave etc. and I reckon that everyone must have at least one unusual tip or piece of advice for going to festivals for Glastonbury virgins liek myself.

So would anyone like to share their favourite Glastonbury tip?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone

Now that the the tickets are booked I'm getting into serious countdown mode :D . I've been thinking about what to take/to leave etc. and I reckon that everyone must have at least one unusual tip or piece of advice for going to festivals for Glastonbury virgins liek myself.

Hi everyone

Spend some time orientating yourself. Glasto is huge (It covers an area the size of the city of Bath).

Triangulation is really helpful.

Make sure you know exactly where your tent is - so far along a line of sight between two points or midway between three points as finding it in the dark may not be easy.

The same method can be used for meeting up with your mates, particularly in front of The Pyramid.

And make sure you've got some comfortable walking boots as you'll walk miles.

Edited by grumpyhack

Baby wipes and anti bacterial handwash, when you get there go for a walk time yourself between stages and then remember if you want to hop from the pyramid to say the park there will be 20k++++ other people migrating between areas, take only what you need in to the festival you can always walk back to the car and get more stuff, take some suncream wellies and sandals, waterproofs and shorts, flat cap and umbrella

Don't pitch your tent next to a generator. These will be silent during the day but at night will be cranked up to provide light all night long. Although that fresh patch of grass will look very inviting, don't do it as not only will you have to deal with sleep deprivation but you'll have to deal with passing people smirking, silently pitying you etc Haven't done it myself but have been one of the passing people thinking pity, which is probably as bad as smirking!

Don't for a minute put up your tent during the day and wander off without taking bearings and looking at other land marks around you such as unusual tents, flags etc. If you don't do this and then come back at night a little worse for wear then you may not find your tent until day break. Really. Do put some effort into this and it'll pay dividends for the rest of the festival.

Don't pitch right next to the toilets thinking it'll be convenient. It probably will not be if the build up of smell is anything to go by in that general area.

Try to briefly (at least) associate with your neighbours so that they are aware of who should be going in and out of your tents etc. Same goes for you keeping an eye out for them.

Be inventive when it comes to storing any medication you cannot be without.

When you arrive(if by car)- it's crucial to take a note of where you parked. There will be references in the field so take a note. This will save you from potential hell on earth which is the not remembering where you parked scenario. My friend spent 4 hours searching the last year it heavily rained and was like the Somme, because in his excitement to get in he forgot the cardinal rule of remembering his cars location.

Proper footwear for heavy duty walking - worn in walking boots or similar.

Bring a small torch with a decent beam

Possibly bring extra tent pegs if your initial ones bend beyond use after hitting a stone -although millions of these will become available in next to no time. Watch and you'll see.

Bring a large screw top disposable container eg empty 2 litre plastic milk bottle. You can use this for peeing into when in the tent at night. Saves you getting up,dressed going to loo, getting back, undressing etc. You can empty it out in the morning. This may disgust you now but possibly will become more acceptable when you are in full Glasto battle conditions.

Don't give your ticket to anyone with a Stewards High Viz jacket etc unless they are actually at the entrance gate to the festival itself ie not a car park entrance. Even though tickets have photos now, there still will be bandits who would like to take your ticket off you before you enter.

You'll have a ball at Glasto. Enjoy