Cycling to Glastonbury Festival this year

Guest Rob Brown

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a great idea for something to be organised for cyclists from all over the UK not just the local area around Glastonbury..hmmm..something could maybe set up where people organise to meet at points around the country, eventually arriving to the festival.. a thought..

been updating the blog as and when can on rest days and what not..,see what you reckon http://www.fromheret...le.blogspot.com...the ride`s going steady, eat, sleeping, water, rest, finding to be the obvious important things while on the go

The justgiving page if you would like to donate is at http://www.justgivin...oThereByBicycle

http://www.fromheret...le.blogspot.com

It could be something like a cycling tree, from Glastonbury routes branch out to all over the country, using things like the internet and what not everyone can arrange to meet from all areas in the country,

sorry mate i missed your question before...Do you do a lot of cycling on a weekly basis now? , no..the same as before, cycling around town, nothing great distances

how much do you do to prepare for this kind of thing then? , equipment and raising awareness for the charity im cycling for (International Childcare Trust) is the main of the organising, i had planned to go to the gym more often but in the coming months that had dropped down to maybe a couple of times a week, i planned to do 67 miles a day, averaging 400 miles a week with a day off a week, ,,seem to be averaging 50 miles a day, with no set day for a day off just as and when,

Edited by Rob Brown

I have just posted such a suggestion on the car park thread, not realising this one was here.

In 2011 I cycled from London to Glastonbury with my son and a friend for WaterAid - we got someone else to hire a van to carry our stuff there and us and the bikes back. In 2013 I am planning a bigger ride, again for WaterAid. Our initial thoughts at the moment are for a group of up to 30, which we could do with one support van and driver. we would set off on the Monday morning to arrive on the Wednesday, so three days cycling. Then the van would carry your bike and stuff back and you would need to get yourself back by bus, train or a lift. We would stay in cheap hotels or camp for the two nights en route. Anybody interested plese pm me.

Great idea!!

Have done a bit of an update to the blog and what not

http://fromheretothe...le.blogspot.com

The jusgiving pge is http://www.justgivin...oThereByBicycle

Any sponsor donations greatly appreciated, every donation is a boost.. money goes direct to International Childcare Trust a small charity who place the money directly where it needs to go in helping some of the worlds most vulnerable children

Edited by Rob Brown

FWIW I cycle to all the festivals I attend that are within 160 miles of me.

Have done Glastonbury twice now. Once a few years ago, got the train to Bath and then in 2010 left work at 5:30 on the Tuesday, done about 110 miles before catching some kip in a layby at around 2 in the morning and cycled all the way in in the morning.

The ride back to London is not so bad as from Hungerford\ Newbury its mostly downhill.

The one big downer is getting enough calories to recharge at the end of the ride, too expensive for a real big meal on the site and with all the camping kit on the bike its going to be near enough 10 000 Calories. You dont need to replace them all but you do need a big feed to top up.

Unfortunately most camp sites close to early to leave work and get a place to camp properly booked.

Id also add that the ride too the festival in 2010 was my favourite part of it. It was a full moon so lots of natural light and the roads really quiten down at around 11ish so the ride past Hungerford was beautiful, it was gliding through the English countryside with just the clicking of the cassette and chain to distract from the noises of the badgers in the brush and the occasional owl overhead. At one point I had a pair of Apaches circling doing some night training which was cool in a way.

The cool air ment there was not so much need to keep on top of the hydration and Newbury was a good place for a major munch (near halfway) with shops still open.

I will try to book a Travelodge or something about 30-50 miles from the site this year so I can get a kip in the warmth.

FWIW I cycle to all the festivals I attend that are within 160 miles of me.

Have done Glastonbury twice now. Once a few years ago, got the train to Bath and then in 2010 left work at 5:30 on the Tuesday, done about 110 miles before catching some kip in a layby at around 2 in the morning and cycled all the way in in the morning.

The ride back to London is not so bad as from Hungerford\ Newbury its mostly downhill.

I've applied for the London100 as well, although I'm not expecting to be accepted as there seems to be a fairly high performance standard (well for me anyway!).

The route we took in 2011 was from East London to Reading on the Sunday, via Richmond Park, Staines and Windsor. Monday from Reading to Devizes va Newbury, Hungerford and Pewsey. Then we went from Devizes to Bristol on the Tuesday as we have family to stay with there and we wanted to join the organised ride on the Wednesday. That was a mistake - see above.

If the WaterAid ride comes off we plan to ride from WaterAid's office in Vauxhall on Monday, probably with overnights in Reading and Devizes and then straight to Pilton. Last time we had cheapish stays in a Premier Inn in Reading and the Travelodge in Devizes. My aim is to offer a camping option as well for those wanting to do it as chealy as possible.

I have just posted such a suggestion on the car park thread, not realising this one was here.

In 2011 I cycled from London to Glastonbury with my son and a friend for WaterAid - we got someone else to hire a van to carry our stuff there and us and the bikes back. In 2013 I am planning a bigger ride, again for WaterAid. Our initial thoughts at the moment are for a group of up to 30, which we could do with one support van and driver. we would set off on the Monday morning to arrive on the Wednesday, so three days cycling. Then the van would carry your bike and stuff back and you would need to get yourself back by bus, train or a lift. We would stay in cheap hotels or camp for the two nights en route. Anybody interested plese pm me.

a nudge up

At the moment im cycling from London to China in aid of raising money for the childrens charity International Childcare Trust, who are a small charity who work to helping some of the worlds most vulnerable children,

Any sponsor donations greatly appreciated a great boost

http://www.justgiving.com/FromHereToThereByBicycle

Many Thanks

you`ll probably be surprised how much distance you can cover in a go, certainly helps to be relatively fit but if your not, a case of sticking at and pushing on,enjoying

the furthest distance i cycled before this was to Glastonbury last year and not really a big cyclist distance wise to be honest, the plan here was to cycle 67 miles a day..probably averaging 50 miles now.. started out at about 35 miles a day and was knackered, alot people say did you train for it, the gym took back seat due to organising, the first two weeks was like going to the gym itself

Edited by Rob Brown

was just writing there,,cheers for the donation Phil,,a great boost ,as all...nice one

the plan is to end up in Beijing, hopefully, the 6000 miles as planned were to China itself, its looking a bit more to Beijing

Mat, if you plan on doing anything similar, i`ll be more the happy if you need any advice or what not with what i`m learning

Edited by Rob Brown