2nd wave of acts announced

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear.

I hate to be negative, I really do. I live in Leicester and I think it is really important for us to have a vibrant and dynamic music festival in the city.

But this is the first year I won't be going out of choice. I might get a day ticket if Graham Coxon and I Am Kloot fall on the same day.

Kendall Calling is cheaper, has a better line-up, and even offers a deposit scheme for tickets. Think I'll finally try there this year.

Oh dear.

I hate to be negative, I really do. I live in Leicester and I think it is really important for us to have a vibrant and dynamic music festival in the city.

But this is the first year I won't be going out of choice. I might get a day ticket if Graham Coxon and I Am Kloot fall on the same day.

Kendall Calling is cheaper, has a better line-up, and even offers a deposit scheme for tickets. Think I'll finally try there this year.

Thanks for the advice. That said, I usually drink from the beer tent and eat from the food stands at Summer Sundae anyway. And it's also the only festival I've been to where my tent has been slashed and stuff stolen from it. I think the underage drinkers are actually a really big problem at Summer Sundae - or at least they are from my experiences.

I think I am just disappointed that due to starting a family, I'm not going to Glastonbury or Latitude this year, and I was pinning my hopes on last year's Summer Sundae being a blip. Instead it appears to have been part of a shift to appeal to a more mainstream audience.

I'm just being selfish I suppose, and I hope everyone that goes has a brilliant time. It's just for the first time ever I can name the acts I want to see on one hand - and I can't justify spending £100+ purely for the admittedly great atmosphere and lovely ale/food.

Ok first thoughts on first announcement, underwhelmed. First thoughts on second announcement, putting it politely 'oh dear'.

Since when did summer sundae become Guilfest meets T4 on the beach.

Yes (as a summer sundae ever present) its a well organised, cuddly festival, take your own beer in (lovely), great food and ale tent at reasonable prices etc) The festival has evolved nicely since the first year BUT never has the line up been this poor.

Having said that I will be there (I bought my early earlybird ticket) I'll have a good time with my mates , next year though it could be the End of the road.

Ok first thoughts on first announcement, underwhelmed. First thoughts on second announcement, putting it politely 'oh dear'.

Yes (as a summer sundae ever present) its a well organised, cuddly festival, take your own beer in (lovely), great food and ale tent at reasonable prices etc) The festival has evolved nicely since the first year BUT never has the line up been this poor.

Having said that I will be there (I bought my early earlybird ticket) I'll have a good time with my mates , next year though it could be the End of the road.

There is some great stuff in there...

The Agitator - I saw him/them at Dot To Dot last year and it was one of the best sets I saw all day. I can see this going down a storm at Summer Sundae.

Admiral Fallow - I've been banging on about these for some time (they were one of my suggestions/wants last year) but the momentum is building around them and by the time August comes this could be an inspired booking.

I Am Kloot - never disappointed when I've seen before.

But I can see why there's concern from others on here. I've been every year to SSW and I'm thinking that the likes of Shambala might be my only August festival this year.

One other point that I think needs clarification - on another thread somebody asked if beer could be taken onto the site this year. I've been hearing rumours that the policy on this might be changing and that only beer bought on site can be drunk on site (camping being seperate).... Don't know how true this is and would appreciate an official comment...

Sean

One other point that I think needs clarification - on another thread somebody asked if beer could be taken onto the site this year. I've been hearing rumours that the policy on this might be changing and that only beer bought on site can be drunk on site (camping being seperate).... Don't know how true this is and would appreciate an official comment...

Sean

Oh dear, this used to be such a lovely little festival, remember Air, SFA, Lemon Jelly, Elbow etc.

I was serioulsy considering coming back this year after missing last year but think i'll try Y not or one of the other fledgeing festivals- I hope none of these are headliners.

The only thing that sets SSW apart from other festivals is the fact that you can take your own booze in - if that option goes then it's truly dead to me!

Oh dear, seriously underwhelmed by this announcement. Already got earlybird tickets so hoping there is another headliner to come. In future will wait and see who's playing before deciding whether or not to come. Shame as I love Summer Sundae- not too far to travel, nice size and I love the indoor stage. But, McFly and Showaddywaddy- what a let down!

to be honest, if you've bought a ticket i wouldnt worry too much. rob is one of those people to hold his best cards back till last, so i've no doubt he'll wait and any final announcement and then he'll have everyone going `oh bollocks, i'm going to have to go and buy a ticket now he's booked them`. this does kind of happen every year.

as for the more commercial bands? well, you've all seen the newspaper issues of the last few years regarding fiscal stability at DMH, it's clearly no surprise they'll taint towards those bands which will sell lots of tickets. i cant really say a bad word about showaddywaddy, odd as they may be, dave bartram did an awful lot out of his own back pocket and time to help the fringe in the past, so fair dues to him. and like kasabian they all still live in leicester, and contribute to the city. not so long ago romeo challanger mentored bone from the displacements and was his drum tutor. misterlee, star of the very first warm up party, played drums for the wadds several years ago during romeo's back operation, and theres still good local links.

mind you, it would be nice to see cornershop back in leicester now they've a new spangly album to push. tjinder was knocking round the city a fair bit towards the end of last year, and now i'm entering my mid thirties, i've finally *got* them. but then i always was slow (recalls telling rob challice to book chapel club last year, on the basis of zane lowe's very first play of `oh maybe I`).

Edited by andyblack