best youtube vids

Ed209

Another traffic one here;

At first it's very daunting crossing the road in Hanoi. Basically, you just step off the pavement and keep walking at a steady pace and drivers and motorcyclists will judge your pace and go around you. If you stop or speed up walking suddenly then that's when you'll have problems. It's scary at first looking at something like the Isle of Man TT race coming at you, but you get the knack of it in a short time.

that vimeo vid is incredibly well made. I cant wait till some site challenges youtube's domination.

I think vimeo seems to have better quality stuff on it really. Like proper professional looking stuff, fan made films etc. It seems to be the place of choice for that! (I think its just the amount of shit on youtube that gives the impression, it doesn't have quality on there as well :P)

Another traffic one here;

At first it's very daunting crossing the road in Hanoi. Basically, you just step off the pavement and keep walking at a steady pace and drivers and motorcyclists will judge your pace and go around you. If you stop or speed up walking suddenly then that's when you'll have problems. It's scary at first looking at something like the Isle of Man TT race coming at you, but you get the knack of it in a short time.

I spent 6 weeks in Morocco last year and like you say, once you get used to the traffic, it's easy enough. Although there, rather than the drivers going around pedestrians, it's more everyone judging the small gaps and going into them while adjusting their speed accordingly (and maybe a little swerve if needed). And they aren't using the car horn to point out what a fucking idiot you are, but to let you know they are there. You do just have to step out though. I'd still be waiting now if I was using the Green Cross Code,

The problems really started when I came home and carried on crossing the road like that

I spent 6 weeks in Morocco last year and like you say, once you get used to the traffic, it's easy enough. Although there, rather than the drivers going around pedestrians, it's more everyone judging the small gaps and going into them while adjusting their speed accordingly (and maybe a little swerve if needed). And they aren't using the car horn to point out what a fucking idiot you are, but to let you know they are there. You do just have to step out though. I'd still be waiting now if I was using the Green Cross Code,

The problems really started when I came home and carried on crossing the road like that

That alternative approach to crossing the road in Morocco is interesting. It sounds more dangerous to me though than the Vietnemese approach, as it would seem to require an agility that not everybody would possess eg some old folk.

I may as well post this one now, as well. It gives you a flavour of some of the loads carried by people on motorbikes in Vietnam;

That alternative approach to crossing the road in Morocco is interesting. It sounds more dangerous to me though than the Vietnemese approach, as it would seem to require an agility that not everybody would possess eg some old folk.

I may as well post this one now, as well. It gives you a flavour of some of the loads carried by people on motorbikes in Vietnam;

Maybe I made it sound harder than it is. It just flows. Buses, trucks, cars, scooters, bikes, pedestrians (as well as crossing, just walking in the road cos the roads were usually fine but the pavements were non-existent or knackered. Or if they are in good knick, they are usually full of people on scooters) And its the cars who are adjusting their speeds. If you start crossing and there's a car approaching which would hit you if he kept at his speed, then they'll just slow down, and not feel the need to slam on the brakes , flash their lights or shout at you like in this country (like I said, took me a few days to readjust). The flip side of this is that obeying traffic lights seems optional, and no one ever stops at an actual pedestrian crossing

Maybe I made it sound harder than it is. It just flows. Buses, trucks, cars, scooters, bikes, pedestrians (as well as crossing, just walking in the road cos the roads were usually fine but the pavements were non-existent or knackered. Or if they are in good knick, they are usually full of people on scooters) And its the cars who are adjusting their speeds. If you start crossing and there's a car approaching which would hit you if he kept at his speed, then they'll just slow down, and not feel the need to slam on the brakes , flash their lights or shout at you like in this country (like I said, took me a few days to readjust). The flip side of this is that obeying traffic lights seems optional, and no one ever stops at an actual pedestrian crossing

Maybe I should go to Morocco to see for myself! It's as fine an excuse to go as any other reason. In fact, I did once seriously think of going and went into the planning stage of getting around the country etc etc. Then the girl I was going out with ran off with some other bloke and I shelved the idea as it was her that I was going to do the trip with. Now I am married to another lady, but she's visited Tangier briefly on a cruise ship drop off and has said she wouldn't go to the country again after what she saw. This was the brutal mistreatment of animals. However, this was topped when she saw a man get beheaded in front of her. He had been on a motorbike driving along and a sheet of metal slid off the back of a lorry and he hit it and it took his head off. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word topped in that sentence. I know that the later story could have happened anywhere, but it's the icing on the cake of not wanting to go there as far as she sees it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...