Best Albums of the Year so far.

Guest eagles69

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I add a couple that aren't out yet but I know will be good or is that cheating? :P

The Leisure Society - Into the Murky Water

Liam Finn - FOMO

If you haven't listened to Liam Finn before then you're missing out and if you have and you think his first album is good, you should see him live. I saw him for the second time last Thurs and it was definitely my gig of the year so far and will be very hard to beat. Can't wait for his new album!

Lykke Not! Do not mention the U word! GTG!!!! I still havent recovered from seeing them at GM, with very bad dresses on, I mean if you are going to perform in front of 5,000 people WHY did they nick something from the bins of a charity shop?

Re the topic! I agree with you Seadragon on what I have heard of LS album, as usual wonderful tunes masterfully produced. I was waiting till I see them at Union Chapel to buy the cd/vinyl. Is anyone else going??? I think I have a spare ticket if anyone is interested.....

Lykke Not! Do not mention the U word! GTG!!!! I still havent recovered from seeing them at GM, with very bad dresses on, I mean if you are going to perform in front of 5,000 people WHY did they nick something from the bins of a charity shop?

Back on topic, been listening to the new Felice Brothers and Okkervil River albums. The Okkervil album is very different, might not have recognised them from the first couple of songs, but my initial reaction to both is very positive. Already practising shouting along with the Felices' 'Fire At The Pageant' at EOTR next year. 'River Jordan' also standing out on early listens.

I read that some of the OR tracks were recorded in a single live take with 2 drummers, 2 bass players, 2 pianists and 7 guitarists! Would like to see THAT live on the Garden Stage!

Back on topic, been listening to the new Felice Brothers and Okkervil River albums. The Okkervil album is very different, might not have recognised them from the first couple of songs, but my initial reaction to both is very positive. Already practising shouting along with the Felices' 'Fire At The Pageant' at EOTR next year. 'River Jordan' also standing out on early listens.

I read that some of the OR tracks were recorded in a single live take with 2 drummers, 2 bass players, 2 pianists and 7 guitarists! Would like to see THAT live on the Garden Stage!

Edited by perfectpassion

Listened to the new Leisure Society (albeit distractedly whilst doing bits and bobs and on horrid computer speakers...) tonight. Some nice bits on first listen. Not the same delicate beauty that I got on The Sleeper, but that was ONLY the first listen. I'm sure it'll be great on repeats and they will be wonderful at EoTR. They MUST be on in the sunshine on the Garden Stage, no?

Ben

appreciate the link ben.

i love wild beasts, and can't quite understand why they haven't got bigger quicker - whats not to love about cool northern boys singing about sex?

i've seen them every latitude and each time expect them to rip it up and it hasn't happened. maybe with this (more subtle?) album they'll knock eotr for dead.

Agreed, RL - saw them at Latitude 08 and was singularly unimpressed. I felt that they were just a bit too clever for their own good, if you know what I mean. But that was three years ago and they've obviously matured. The new record seems much more measured, vocal under control, melody and feel very well thought through. Looking forward to them at EoTR. Trouble is, my list of bands is getting bigger and bigger and the God of Clashes is soon to rain his wrath upon me...

Ben

Listened to the new Leisure Society (albeit distractedly whilst doing bits and bobs and on horrid computer speakers...) tonight. Some nice bits on first listen. Not the same delicate beauty that I got on The Sleeper, but that was ONLY the first listen. I'm sure it'll be great on repeats and they will be wonderful at EoTR. They MUST be on in the sunshine on the Garden Stage, no?

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Having previously struggled not actively to dislike Wild Beasts, I now find myself very much enjoying 'Smother'. The falsetto is more restrained than previously and fits very well with an excellently produced record. I clearly need to give 'Two Dancers' another go...

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

I feel like the only one who thinks Limbo, Panto is much better than their last two releases. Smother and Two Dancers are both great albums but Limbo feels much more like a masterpiece. It's less consistent and a bit all over the place but it just has so many more interesting ideas than the latest two. I think Hayden's voice sounded a bit better as well and the howling falsetto that I love was a lot more prominent.

Edited by ljsawyer