Best Albums of the Year so far.

Guest eagles69

Didn't see much in The Local, but Singing Adams and Plants & Animals were both excellent. Wilderness Of Manitoba were in the Tipi (and the woods, if were being picky).

Just looked at the Local's website to see who they've been booking. I'm going with David Thomas Broughton, Napoleon IIIrd and Barn Owl being signed up to play. Dan Mangan played for them last year as well, and if he gets the nod, I'd expect to see him on the Local stage.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved The Local last year - saw 6 bands in there in total, and Moddi and Olof Arnalds were two of my favourites of the weekend. Really wanted to see Jonquil and Plants and Animals as well, but couldn't because of clashes (but then decided I should have definitely seen the former after Yo La Tengo weren't up to much.)

I seem to remember seeing part of a lot of sets in The Local last year- The Singing Adams, Pulled Apart by Horses, Trembling Bells, London Snorkelling Team, Plants & Animals amongst others. The Singing Adams apart not sure I saw a band from start to finish there.

As for albums of the year so far, PJ Harvey is far ahead of anything else I've listened to so far but honourable mentions to Suuns, The Low Anthem, Drive By Truckers (Go Go Boots is a grower), Mogwai and Wire (Red Barked Tree is probably second to Let England Shake).

Uh-oh! New contender - Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes.

Beautiful album, especially the title track and The Shrine/An Argument.

Maybe more bands should take 3 years to make a record and make sure it's as near-perfect as they can get it.

Oh, and 'Last' by the Unthanks (of course!). Good year so far, this, innit?!?

Iron & Wine – Kiss Each Other Clean

Rue Royale – Guide to an Escape

Dodos - No Color

Alexander Ebert – Alexander

The Decemberists – The King is Dead

The Rural Alberta Advantage – Departing

...are my favourites so far.

Uh-oh! New contender - Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes.

Beautiful album, especially the title track and The Shrine/An Argument.

Maybe more bands should take 3 years to make a record and make sure it's as near-perfect as they can get it.

I really wanted to like this album...but I don't much. I keep reading all the rave reviews but after a couple of listens it just sounds like more of the same. Which disappoints me because they were great at EOTR a couple of years back.

I'm also rather disappointed with The Low Anthem's new album. I love their first couple of albums and I've seen them play half a dozen times and their set last year was a highlight of EOTR last year for me, but there's something a bit bland about their new album. :(