Got any gigs coming up?

spwan-of-the-devil

Last two times i've seen Reel Big Fish in Nottingham the support's been Skindred then Streetlight Manifesto. I hadn't heard either beforehand so RBF to me is a nice way to discover good ska/punk bands. I'll be seeing them again this April :)

Im not that fussed on the Support this year to be fair, It is though Suburban Legends,The Skints, New Riot (UK & Europe) and for £14 I cant complain :)

And they've done it again. Skints are the most promising new Britsh Ska band and already wipe the floor with The King Blues and I've never seen Suburban Legends before, bastards I've got to go and put up with the encore masters of styles gag again.

• 2 weeks later...

darwin deez at the anson rooms in bristol.

anyone know if this is a good venue? and any good pubs nearby?

Despite living in Brizzle, it's a venue I've not been to.

What I can tell you is that the venue is a part of Bristol Uni SU, so from that I'd guess that the gig will have mostly students.

There's not many pubs very close by to where it is - which is Clifton (and being on the opposite side of brizzle from me, I don't know which ones might be any good), but the city centre is no more than a 10 minute walk, so there's plenty within a short-ish distance.

Make sure you've taken note of the old bill's recommendation that lone females don't walk about at night. :P:lol: ... and watch out for the killer pizza &/or cider that's on the loose. :P

Despite living in Brizzle, it's a venue I've not been to.

What I can tell you is that the venue is a part of Bristol Uni SU, so from that I'd guess that the gig will have mostly students.

There's not many pubs very close by to where it is - which is Clifton (and being on the opposite side of brizzle from me, I don't know which ones might be any good), but the city centre is no more than a 10 minute walk, so there's plenty within a short-ish distance.

Make sure you've taken note of the old bill's recommendation that lone females don't walk about at night. :P:lol: ... and watch out for the killer pizza &/or cider that's on the loose. :P

i'm assuming it will be similar to the qmu in glasgow which is half decent.

aye think we're staying at the travel lodge so will be city centre before and afterwards anyway. think she kinda knows her way about being from south wales. i'll make sure she doesn't wander away. was worried the two men might have been you and sco77ie what with your christmas absence from here :P

Feb 08th: Feeder @ O2 Academy Leeds (probably)

Feb 13th: White Lies @ O2 Academy Leeds

Feb 17th: Detroit Social Club @ The Harley, Sheffield

Feb 24th: The Streets @ O2 Academy Leeds

April 03rd: Kyuss Lives! @ HMV Forum, London

May 21st: Roger Waters @ Manchester MEN

July 03rd: Foo Fighters @ Milton Keynes Bowl

i'm assuming it will be similar to the qmu in glasgow which is half decent.

aye think we're staying at the travel lodge so will be city centre before and afterwards anyway. think she kinda knows her way about being from south wales. i'll make sure she doesn't wander away. was worried the two men might have been you and sco77ie what with your christmas absence from here :P

'she'? I as giving the warning to you, ya big girl. :P:lol:

I reckon what will happen is Skinner will use his own name afterwards and then flop and go back to Streets a few years later.

i just don't see the point if he's going to keep going with music. everyone knows mike skinner as the streets anyway. and even if it is a complete change in style, don't see what's wrong with keeping the streets name.

i just don't see the point if he's going to keep going with music. everyone knows mike skinner as the streets anyway. and even if it is a complete change in style, don't see what's wrong with keeping the streets name.

Must be one of those things where people keeping shouting out play "Fit But You Know It" etc. and hopes losing the Streets name will give him a fresh start.

@ampersand - was about to reply but think that's been dealt with haha

anyway

http://www.rwdmag.com/2011/01/the-end-of-thestreets-is-nigh/

Mike Skinner’s work under the guise of the Streets is on many iTunes libraries up-and-down the country, especially the ones in the RWD office. That said, those who feared the forthcoming fifth album, Computers and Blues, will actually be the Streets last might just want to sit down as Skinner reveals that the Streets will be closing for good…

In a candid interview with The Guardian’s Caspar Llewellyn Smith in London’s Shoreditch House, Mr Original Pirate Material confirmed that this will definitely be the final album from the Streets. “I think it would devalue it to say that it was cynical but I know what I’m doing with the Streets – I’ve been doing it for too long,” he divulges. “I don’t want to do the Streets anymore. I should have moved on a long time ago.”

“It’s obvious. I’ve been doing it for 10 years and I’ve always tried to do something different with each album,” he tells. “Some [of my work has] been amazingly received and some of it hasn’t been, and I’ve run out of new avenues.

“As uninteresting as the Streets is to talk about, the most interesting element of anything is its death, so if you’re going to talk about the Streets, ending the Streets is probably a good thing to talk about,”

He may be bored of talking about his time as the Streets but what will he miss? Studio time? Groupies? Mercury Music Prizes? Parties? Touring? “I don’t know,” he tells Llewellyn Smith. “I do really enjoy performing. Everyone’s got their job and it’s really nice to have a purpose. It’s much better than any holiday. It’s like a holiday with a purpose. It’s a working holiday.” We guess that’s a yes then.

So what will Skinner do after the fifth and final album drops? An actual holiday? Hang up the mic? Play Call of Duty until his eyes bleed? In the interview, long term friend Ted Mayhem suggests they’ll be making a film first and then a final farewell Streets gig will be on the cards… but Skinner himself stayed blasé about actual music. “If I was making another record, I’d just make it and stick it on the internet.” Nice. Our hard drives wait eagerly await your nonchalant decision.

darwin deez at the anson rooms in bristol.

anyone know if this is a good venue? and any good pubs nearby?

Im not gonna lie, its a shite venue. A bit like a tacky sports hall from the 70's

But the location is good, got loads of nice pubs and bars in clifton on one side and on the other side theres the triangle/park street/centre which have more livlier pubs, bars and clubs

• 4 weeks later...