Student Demonstrations

Guest gratedenini

I voted lib dem in 2010 and regret it. I can never take them seriously again, as you never know which promises they make they will wriggle out of, with the we didnt win the election line. The rise in fees is again another attempt by politicians to hammer the middle as they are afraid to upset their party donors. People say that as graduates get better paid jobs, they shouldnt be subsidised by others. Surely the higher income tax paid as a result of the higher wages, makes up for this. While I agree more can be done to eliminate mickey mouse degrees and condense the length of others. Theres no doubt in my mind that the country wouldnt grind to a halt if fees had been kept at their current levels.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a death knell for mature students. People going back to uni after 30 will have far less time in their career to pay of the debt then begin saving for retirement. The debt will be around £27k for fees and about £18k for 3 years living expenses. Especially hard hit will be people looking to move into careers like teaching and social work in their early mid years. The idea of being a single mother and going back to uni is laughable.

Also universities with a strong portfolio in the humanities and with a good uptake of people from the lower third of the social spectrum are effectively dead now. They will get nearly 80% cuts in their grants for teaching and with fewer wealthier students paying money that will have to subsidise more low income students.

From where I was stood at the demo today most or all of the real violence was not from students by young kids, normally from the council estates. The violence today was about a huge age group of a class of people seeing doors very firmly slammed in their faces. The loss of their £30 a week EMAs will hurt a lot of them and then the tuition fees are a joke. On top of that the devestating cuts in non science subjects is just curtains for many of them. If we are not very carefull that anger will be repeated out on the estates themselves, it will be back to the days of Brixton, Toxteth and Broadwater Farm.

I wonder if anyone else seen the kids comiting vandalism out on the streets of London today. Those are Daves generation.

Yet those degrees from poor unis mean they can get there CVs through the first round of selection for jobs that young people from all over the EU will be applying for. Take a look at todays job market for young people, its tough as hell and they are up against people with qualifications from all over the EU, take that away from them and, well.... you dont give a f*ck about their chances do you.

I don't keep ignoring it

that is another aspect of how the system is a mess. It doesn't make any sense at all that putting up the fees will make it fairer. There might be some provisions to make some aspects of it fairer, but overall it will put people off... maybe some people should be put off, but it shouldn't be down to finances

article-1337088-0C6B1E83000005DC-10_634x496.jpg

unreal.... (and yes i know it's on the daily mail site :P)

disrespectful much?

edit: cba joining in the discussion at this time of night, but will write some bits up tomorrow. the above picture well and truely pisses me off though...

Edited by funkymp

just out of interest how many people from here have a degree post 'labour introducing fees' and how do they feel about their student debt since they've graduated? does it actually have any financial burden on you if so? from my pov i see it more of a tax than actual debt... i don't see it as something like say taking a loan out and having to deal with loan 'sharks' if you fall behind on payments for example.

Edited by worm