Latitude 2011

Gingerbond

The advice on this page has certainly been a lot more positive than the last page of horror stories. :lol:

It's all good though.

Me and my missus will be trying for Bestival and Latitude next year. We did Leeds last year together and we hated the camping and the people that seemed to be generally in attendance - the music was great but the people were areseholes - so that's my only apprehension with festivals I go to with her from now on. The music at the festival tends to be my cup of tea so I'll only go back again if the line-up is tip top.

From what I've gathered, nothing about Latitude so far intimidates me. I live near Repton - public school kids can be dealt with easily if they get out of line.

I keep meaning to make an account on here to tell you all so I thought I'd do it know before I forget again!

Foals are playing Latitude next year.

Very excited about this! They're my favourite band, and they're incredible live. I waited to meet them after their gig in Norwich back in November, and Yannis (front man) told me that the next time they'll be anywhere near us Norwich folk would be for Latitude next year.

Roll on Latitude 2011 is all I can say!

I met Oli Brown today, and I asked him if he'll play Latitude. He said that most festivals seem to think "oh Blues music..." and aren't mega interested, but he said he'd love to play somewhere like that. He's incredible though, and I think he'd suit Latitude very well. So if any organizers are reading this, book him!

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting reading about Latitude 2010 as it was the first one that I'd missed.

By 2009 the artists had deteriorated so badly (Thom Yorke and Nick Cave were the notable exceptions) that most of my friends spent much of their time around the campfire. The music, comedy and (especially) the poetry seemed to be geared towards a more Radio 2 crowd.

Having started as a more niche folky festival (5,000 capacity in 2006!) we watched as attendances jumped to 25,000 while there were no tangible improvements to facilities. The campsite remained the same size as did the arena. By 2009 the twang of banjo had been replaced by synths. You still weren't allowed to eat and drink your own supplies in the arena (something that far too many people accept as normal in my opinion) and it was getting too crowded and littered.

In short, the easy-going vibe was replaced by the wiff of someone (Mean Fiddler probably) wanting to fleece punters. The queue of nearly-new SUVs with parents sat behind the wheel waiting to pick-up their kids in the car park on the Monday morning did for me. Latitude had become the musical equivalent of Center Parcs.

It has so much potential, but I'm waiting to see how the festival develops before deciding whether to return. In the meantime, I'll make do with less commercial festivals and the occasional trip to Glastonbury.

It's interesting reading about Latitude 2010 as it was the first one that I'd missed.

By 2009 the artists had deteriorated so badly (Thom Yorke and Nick Cave were the notable exceptions) that most of my friends spent much of their time around the campfire. The music, comedy and (especially) the poetry seemed to be geared towards a more Radio 2 crowd.

Having started as a more niche folky festival (5,000 capacity in 2006!) we watched as attendances jumped to 25,000 while there were no tangible improvements to facilities. The campsite remained the same size as did the arena. By 2009 the twang of banjo had been replaced by synths. You still weren't allowed to eat and drink your own supplies in the arena (something that far too many people accept as normal in my opinion) and it was getting too crowded and littered.

In short, the easy-going vibe was replaced by the wiff of someone (Mean Fiddler probably) wanting to fleece punters. The queue of nearly-new SUVs with parents sat behind the wheel waiting to pick-up their kids in the car park on the Monday morning did for me. Latitude had become the musical equivalent of Center Parcs.

It has so much potential, but I'm waiting to see how the festival develops before deciding whether to return. In the meantime, I'll make do with less commercial festivals and the occasional trip to Glastonbury.

We went in 2010 and like you we are not planning on returning for a year or two. Melvin Benn says it's not gonna get any bigger this year, so we will have to wait and see how Latitude goes down this year..

The best friend of my girlfriend goes out with a member of Scouting For Girls and he has said that apparently they are down to headline the main stage Friday night at Latitude!!

I hope this is a joke.

Bjork & PJ however, would be a VERY different story!!

I heard from somewhere that headliners will be Bjork, P J Harvey and Robert Plant

Have to confess I have no evidence whatsoever to support this rumour

Anyone confirm/deny or offer opinions?

I can see pj harvey playing maybe even headline, she's around doing thr london troXy in feb and the portishead gig in july(oh my, what a night that will be).

Big big bjork fan and there's no rumour of her doing anything of note this year. She very rarely does festivals. Bjorks done glasto/connect festivals in the last decade do can't see her doing festivals in the short term.

I can see pj harvey playing maybe even headline, she's around doing thr london troXy in feb and the portishead gig in july(oh my, what a night that will be).

Big big bjork fan and there's no rumour of her doing anything of note this year. She very rarely does festivals. Bjorks done glasto/connect festivals in the last decade do can't see her doing festivals in the short term.

http://www.nme.com/news/bjork/54611

Possibility.

It's interesting reading about Latitude 2010 as it was the first one that I'd missed... (etc)

I visited the Latitude forums for a brief moment, mainly to see if I could get any advice. I didn't join up or anything like that but felt discouraged from doing so upon reading a fairly strange and unintentionally hilarious message typed by a regular attendee, who said that he felt disconcerted by the progress the festival was making as it was slowly becoming more "Superdry than Dege and Skinner"...

I find myself torn in the middle because - whilst I don't think anybody really approves of chavs, the idea of being surrounded by Sloane rangers is far less appealing. I don't know which is the lesser of two evils.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to declare a interest here as I am friends with Hektor { His Family is the land owner of Henham Park } - but will try to remain impartial.

I have been a volunteer at every one and it is true that numbers have been expanding but the type of people has mainly remained the same .

It is not true that facilities have remained the same because the Council does demand so many toilets / washing facilities per 1,000 people - I know for a fact that every year the WBC adds extra bars and recruits more volunteers and with the bars being so close together its easy to get a drink without a long queue.

It is true its mainly a middle class event.

Head for head there is a lot less trouble/theft at Latitude compared to Reading/Leeds and its on a par with Glastonbury.

It has better drainage than Glastonbury so rain water tends to soak into the ground so mud is not a problem.

The same range of drinks that is available at Glastonbury is available at Latitude but with some local real ale { that Real ale drinkers claim they really like } made by http://www.hektorsbrewery.com/ and the prices are very similar.

I am not a Cider drinker but I know the Cider bar we run is very popular { with many live acts each night }

Don't have a clue about food as I eat in the crew canteen.

Cant comment about camping as I have never camped in the normal area but it appears to be less cramped than Reading for example.

On the downside ' it is a arena event ' so there is no alcohol allowed into the arena { which is true of many events }

There is late night events if you wander into the woods but its true that its not as broad as Glastonbury.

As to the bands I cant recall seeing any of them last year

I had planned to go and see Rodrigo y Gabriela on the Sunday but due to my Tent Manger going ill { She had to go home } I had to cover the bar { even although it was not my shift } so I missed them { but did see them in London when they were on tour }

Best thing about Latitude - the Woods - you can wander about and find a quiet corner and just watch the world going by { very handy when its very sunny as it gives loads of shade. }

Worst thing about Latitude - The Midges that hang about near the lake so take loads of Deet.

I will be working at it this year and would not miss it - Glastonbury is top of the list and then its Latitude.

Would I change anything ? Yes but its not something that Hektor can do anything about - Henham Park is in a very poor DAB reception area { even using a 30 foot aerial } - FM is not great either.

some good images at

http://www.henhampark.com/08lat.htm

• 2 weeks later...

do neil or scottie wanna check this out?

http://forums.latitudefestival.co.uk/tm.aspx?high=&m=111429&mpage=1

the first post obv.

Hi grouchy, nice to see you still around, sad to see the way you were treated on the official forums!

And it might be true, idk. But I think that Adele wouldn't play. Is tugger2k around this year, and I've also heard him and Neil know a lot about the festivals. Any hits would be much appreciated. This time last year Tugger said the lineup early!!