Efests Recipe Book

nightcrawler13

PAVLOVA (crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside type)

8 large egg whites (at room temperature)

pinch of salt

350g/12oz caster sugar

2 tsps cornflour

pinch of cream of tartar

1 tsp white wine vinegar

300ml/½pint double cream, firmly whipped

Preheat the oven to 180*C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Draw a 20cm/8inch circle on the paper.

Whisk the egg whites with half the sugar and the salt in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Continue beating while adding the remaining sugar until stiff and shiny. Sprinkle over the cornflour, cream of tartar, vinegar and vanilla essence and fold in gently with a metal spoon.

Mould the egg white mix onto the paper within the circle. Flatten the top and smooth the sides. Place in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 150*C and cook for 1 hours 15 minutes

Turn off the oven, leave the door slightly ajar and allow to cool completely. Invert Pavlova onto a plate, gently push down the meringue then pile on the cream and top with whatever you like on top of pavolvas :)

Sometimes I put the mixture on 2 trays making 2 thinner merangue circles and layer them with cream.

Pics to follow after work :)

as promised :) this one has chocolate merangue (addfinely grated 70% choc to mixture before baking) and cherries soaked in kirsch :D

pavlova1.jpg

pavlova2.jpg

MAPLE & MUSTARD CHICKEN TRAYBAKE

800g small new pots halved

2 red onions chopped

2 courgettes chopped

1 tblspoon olive oil

salt and ground pepper

4 skinless chick breasts

2 tblspoons maple syrup

1 heaped tablepsoon grain mustard

juice 1 lemon

250g cherry toms

Parboil potatoes for 10 mins drain and mix with onions, courgettes, olive oil and seasoning in a large roast tin. Place in 200*c oven for 15 mins

Stir veg around and add chicken breasts to tin. roast for further 10 mins

Mix maple syrup with mustard and lemon juice, stir veg again add tomatoes and drizzle mustard lemon glaze over chicken and veg

Roast for further 15 mins.

Also lovely zapped in the micro the next day if any left :)

as promised :) this one has chocolate merangue (addfinely grated 70% choc to mixture before baking) and cherries soaked in kirsch :D

pavlova1.jpg

pavlova2.jpg

!!!! How much do you lot weigh??? That f**kin tablet... I`ve put 2 clem on since I made/ate that!!!

That duff looks very indulgent I must say... the left hand side looks like a pensioners arse mind..but I`d still eat it :D

den

Been wracking my brains trying to decide which recipe to post (I cook loads, but rarely use recipes, I'm a bit more of a bit of this & a bit of that kind of cook).

This Lemon Drizzle Cake however is just begging to be shared :D

Cake:

125g unsalted butter

175g caster sugar

2 large eggs

Zest of 1 lemon

175g self-raising flour

pinch of salt

4 tablespoons milk

Syrup:

Juice of 1.5 lemons (about 4 tablespoons)

100g of icing sugar

23 x 13 x 7 cm loaf tin, buttered and lined, preheat the oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4.

Method:

* Cream the butter and sugar

* Add eggs and lemon zest, beat in well

* Add the sieved flour and salt, folding in gently but thoroughly

* Add the milk, mix in

* Spoon into loaf tin and put cake in oven for 45 mins, or until golden and a cake tester comes out clean

* While it's cooking, dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice, over a low heat

* As soon as you take the cake out, puncture holes all over the top and pour the syrup on to let it soak in. Make sure there are lots of holes in the top so it doesn't all go down the sides.

* Wait until it's completely cold to take it out of the tin.

This is in the oven as we speak!! I'm doing the 'pre-Glasto diet' thing so will let you know what hubby and son think of it! :)

Whilst it's not a recipe at all...more just yummy sandwich.

Philidelphia and Chilli Heatwave Doritos. In a sandwich. Just...beautiful.

Each to his own eh... I wouldn`t even let me dog eat that off the lavvy seat. :lol:

den

I think i mentioned before I got a slo-cooker off Freecycle (no lid).

I`ve never actually used one but am familiar with the principle of casseroling etc.. has anybody got any specific recipes for my first attempt that is foolproof and with the result of the feeling a dog must get when he licks his underskin bullets!

den

What's the verdict?

Must have been good - there is only half left and son hasn't been home from his Dad's yet! :)

I cannot tell a lie - I had a piece last night - less than half a slice and literally the thinnest piece from the end and it was delicious!! I don't particularly like chocolate, so anything cake wise that is fruity rather than chocolate is always good with me! Twas incredibly moist and SO easy to make! Think I might make one later to take into work tomorrow!

I think you need a lid

I`m going to improvise with thick cardboard covered in foil. What a fackin liberty eh... Freecycle .. offering something with no lid!!

I`ve got some beef skirt marinating now..and gonna make a casserole the morrer.

den

• 2 months later...

Been wracking my brains trying to decide which recipe to post (I cook loads, but rarely use recipes, I'm a bit more of a bit of this & a bit of that kind of cook).

This Lemon Drizzle Cake however is just begging to be shared :D

Cake:

125g unsalted butter

175g caster sugar

2 large eggs

Zest of 1 lemon

175g self-raising flour

pinch of salt

4 tablespoons milk

Syrup:

Juice of 1.5 lemons (about 4 tablespoons)

100g of icing sugar

23 x 13 x 7 cm loaf tin, buttered and lined, preheat the oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4.

Method:

* Cream the butter and sugar

* Add eggs and lemon zest, beat in well

* Add the sieved flour and salt, folding in gently but thoroughly

* Add the milk, mix in

* Spoon into loaf tin and put cake in oven for 45 mins, or until golden and a cake tester comes out clean

* While it's cooking, dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice, over a low heat

* As soon as you take the cake out, puncture holes all over the top and pour the syrup on to let it soak in. Make sure there are lots of holes in the top so it doesn't all go down the sides.

* Wait until it's completely cold to take it out of the tin.

oh I love lemon drizzle cake. But when you buy it in a shop the topping's always too sweet. i like mine sharp.

• 3 months later...

Indian Chicken Pasanda.

Note - Increase quanity of everything x 2. Its fantastic with some coriander naan. You could say, its second to naan! :ph34r:

Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter)

1 small onion - finely chopped

1.5 inch piece cassia bark (or cinnamon)

2 green cardamon pods

1 inch piece fresh ginger - very finely chopped

2 cloves garlic - very finely chopped

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

1 teaspoon ground coriander seed

half teaspoon good chilli powder

5 tablespoons Greek-style full cream yoghurt (3/4 of a 150 gm tub)

1 teaspoon (or a little more) concentrated tomato purée

salt to taste

2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1 inch pieces

2 tablespoons flaked almonds prepared as in Method

chopped fresh coriander leaf to garnish

Method

Heat the oil in a large heavy pan then add the chopped onion and stir for a few minutes with the heat on high

Add the cassia bark and cardamons, stir a little then turn the heat down to low and cook for 5 minutes

Add the ginger and garlic, stir and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat stirring now and again to make sure nothing browns or burns

Add the turmeric, coriander and chilli powder and fry gently for a minute

Add 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, stir round and turn the heat up so the yoghurt sizzles in the oil (don't worry, it won't split if you've used full cream yoghurt)

When the yoghurt has lost a lot of it's moisture add another tablespoon. Stir and fry as before.

Repeat until all the yoghurt is incorporated (the last tablespoons won't sizzle but it doesn't matter)

Add the tomato purée and stir in. The colour of the dish should now be a rich orangy yellow with red flecks

Stir in lots of hot water - enough to make the mixture very fluid

Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes

Add salt to taste

While the sauce is cooking, heat a frying pan at low to moderate then add the flaked almonds. Move the almonds around the pan so they don't burn and heat until they have just taken on a brown colour. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. When cool, crush them up with your fingers into smallish pieces.

Heat a little oil in a large heavy frying pan and stir-fry the chicken pieces over a moderate heat until they are sealed and have turned white

Add the chicken and almonds to the sauce and simmer gently for another 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Stir from time to time. If the sauce gets too dry add a little hot water

At the end of the cooking you should have a fairly thick, creamy sauce with little patches of oil appearing at the top. Remove the cassia and cardamons (if you can find them!).

Serve, garnished with chopped fresh coriander leaf

Edited by The Nal

Great little thread this, had much fun having a trawl through it.

Thought I'd give a shout for my fave dish I've been cooking in the past few months that combines seafood, chilli and cheese, three of my favourite things. Got it from a cooking blog called chilli up north and messed about a bit. I like my food spicy so worth leaving the chilli and cayenne pepper if you want it milder:

Prawn Saganaki:

About 400g of raw King Prawns

1 tin of chopped toms

1 large red onion

2 red pepper

1 red chilli

1 tbsp cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon tomato puree

1 tablespoons of Tabasco

1 tablespoon of Balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar

4 Garlic cloves (og recipe is 2 but I double whatever anyone else says for garlic cos I love it that much)

Olive oil

2 bay leaves

Teaspoon of honey

Black pepper

2 teaspoons of Oregano

1 teaspoon of thyme

1 block of whatever cheese you fancy, the recipe is greek by origin and feta works but I love it with some mild cheddar as well

- fry up garlic, chilli, cayenne pepper onions and red peppers with the oil

- add the tomatoes then the vinegars and sauces, honey herbs and black pepper

- let the sauce simmer for about half an hour

- pour into a casserole dish and add the raw prawns and blocks of cheese

- cook for half an hour

serve with rice or crusty bread

Great little thread this, had much fun having a trawl through it.

Thought I'd give a shout for my fave dish I've been cooking in the past few months that combines seafood, chilli and cheese, three of my favourite things.

Looks great, must try that!

Anyone doing summer salads yet?

Jamie Olivers prawn and watermelon salad. It shouldn't work, but its fookin delish!!