You got tickets - Explorer or Firefox

Guest timbo777

Hi

I got tickets at home using my home PC with Explorer

However, my work PC with Firefox never made it to the purchase screen, and I have been told by friends who used Firefox, that they didn't get tickets at all

So, is this a coincidence?

Let me know what Browser you used please

Browser wont make a difference. We had 3 laptops, 2 running firefox/IE/Chrome at the same time connected to the house connection. My macbook connection was connected to O2 3G using Firefox and Safari.

THe 3G connection got thru at 12:20 and then i managed to get 4 order forms open in safari and 20! open in Firefox after only a 10 minute wait. immause3g again next year, screw BT.

i used firefox and safari on a mac and IE, firefox, opera and chrome on a PC. neither browsers on the mac even made it as far as the holding screen. On the PC firefox, IE and opera made it through to the holding screen, with IE the only one to make it to the booking screen - twice! Which came as a surprise to be honest..

Browser would make little or no difference whatsoever to getting a connections if you are just hitting F5. That said I find Firefox much more user friendly, for example having the links for tickets bookmarked maybe 10 times and using the option to "open in tabs" is quite useful as you are then hitting the site 10 times for one "click". Also the "Reload All Tabs" is useful in Firefox especially if you are on the "queue" page. I had four instances of Firefox all with 10 tabs open on the "queue" page I could cycle though each instance clicking "Reload All Tabs".

The above as much as anything gives me something to do which makes me feel I am making a difference, and of course the "Reload All Tabs" would be useless if you could not get to the "queue", to get the tabs loaded in the first place.

Having written all that, I am not familiar with the latest version of IE, and as they generally copy all of Firefoxes ideas it is likely you could do all the above with IE as well.

I would normally be inclined to say that the browser choice should make no difference to whether you get though or not. However, I had both Chrome and Firefox open. Chrome got though to the queue page on numerous occasions. Firefox didn't get through at all.

In the end though, my mate managed to buy the tickets using his iPhone!

I couldn't load any part of the seetickets website on either chrome or IE. It really felt like I was blocked, it wasn't even as if the browser was attempting to make a connection it was just an immediate error page. I went on Safari using my 3G connection on my iPhone (after two hours of refreshing on three different computers) and got straight onto the right pages and bought two tickets. My iPhone has achieved god like status in my house, I think I'll make it a little shrine.

O2 Broadband with Firefox for me, got through 4 times before 10am.

I only had two tabs going-one doing the auto-refresh every 20 seconds, and another I was hammering F5 on like I had ADHD. I think any more than that and you're just overloading the server and possibly conflicting with your own other attempts at connecting.

Honestly don't think the browser makes any difference at all.

I got through on Chrome on my PC and bought 6 tickets, just 1 tab open... 1st Laptop on Chrome and 2nd Laptop on IE never even managed to get in the queue... I am with Virgin 50MB.

Personally I think is down to chance, if their server can only handle let's say 1000 people at the same time, as soon as 1 person completed their order and leaves that space will be allocated to whoever refreshes quickest after that person left the queue, when there are almost 1 million people doing the same it would be like trying to get a drink in the busiest bar ever, you think you got a space by the bar as soon as someone gets served but then in less than a second 100,000 people are trying to push in as well to get that space.

Oh well, got my ticket, all my best mates are coming... sweet :)

Oh and a bit of "oh my god" moment...

If 700,000 people are trying to get tickets and the vast majority are using 15+ tabs and several PC's/laptops/etc... that means the server load is not 700,000 but probably closer to 20-30 MILLION requests to access that server, that is why is so busy, all the people using extra tabs/browsers/laptops/PC's lol.

So in a way, we are all to blame more than Seetickets.

Edited by GlasstoLuver

Used firefox, got my ticket at around 10.15. By 11 I had ordered 5 more in 3 seperate transactions. No use of back button or refresh just joined the queue again until booking page appeared. The ppl I ordered for are all in same city but they couldn't even get into the queue!! (all live in south, so I don't believe it had anything to do with geography as some have claimed) Not sure why I had the luck but makes a nice change :)

Edited by Messi30

I was using IE - I started off with a fair few tabs open, and couldn't get near the queue page for 2 hours after originally being in the 'queue' for about 10 minutes from 8.50am.

About 10 minutes before I actually did get the tickets booked, I'd switched to just one tab as I'm not that technical & was wondering whether multiple tabs was causing me the problem - it worked for me, coincidence or otherwise!

Out of 8 of us trying one (my fiancee) was on a mac (firefox), and all the other 7 on pcs (IE). The mac user got the tickets, no one else even got a sniff. That's at least 3 years in a row that the mac's won the race. I know it shouldn't make a difference but find it hard to believe that's just a coincidence.