Yo La Tengo

Guest ljsawyer

How disappointing were they?! I'm a massive fan but that wasn't really what I was hoping for at all. I kind of feared/expected that they'd play all the 10 minute guitar freakout songs, but most of the other songs we got were pretty obscure as well. Nuclear War to open? :huh:

We did get Sugarcube, From A Motel 6 and an average version of Autumn Sweater, but it didn't really make up for the lack of anything off of 'And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out'. I liked them, but hoped for more.

Kind of relieved I sold my ticket this year as Yo La Tengo are one of my favourite bands, and one of the few I was keen to see in this year's lineup. Sounds like a pretty poor set and opening with Nuclear War really is a terrible start. So wish they wouldn't play that song, it's a bit shit, too long and not even one of theirs.

They were great in 2007 and generally are, but I have seen the odd show of theirs that has left me feeling rather uninspired.

I liked the short songs, would have loved to have heard 'Beanbag Chair' or 'Our Way to Fall', but oh well. The long songs did not impress me - if they'd had a 4-minute limit on their entire set, it would not have been a bad thing. (Hint: if I can get bored of a song, walk back to my tent, and walk back to the festival and they're still playing the same riff, the song is too long. Especially as it wasn't even a very good riff).

I agree, I was very disappointed with Yo La Tengo too and they were one of the bands I was really looking forward to seeing. I like several of their albums so it wasn't that I wasn't familiar with their music.

I only managed the first couple of songs and then got bored and went in search of something better and stumbled upon Jonquil who were a lot of fun. Real shame because YLT could have been so much better.

I don't know how much they have been playing recently, but I felt there was an element of going through the motions at times. I don't know how much flying in the day before helps (and how much this impacts on all the green initiatives at the festival), but I've certainly seen them livelier and more engaging. Oh well

I tried to do all three of YLT, Black Mountain and Wintersleep. I just didn't get into YLT after 2 or 3 songs, Black Mountain I managed to hear my two favourites (Let Spirits Ride and Rollercoaster) and got sucked in for a while. Then I heard literally the last chord being strummed by Wintersleep.

I agree with Donny Osmond. The longer guitar heavy songs are what you wanna hear from YLT. The set grew on me and it was great when they generated some really nice noise in the end. I would say YLT and Modest Mouse were the best gigs at this festival. However, given the profile of the festival I can understand that people here don't like really long shoegaze-songs.